Player Discussion Michael Grabner

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Trade Grabner, Hank, Nash, Kreider, McDonaugh, Shattenkirk, Hayes and Zucc yesterday for 29 1st rounders. Then we tank to 1st OA and we'll FINALLY win the draft.

Though the truth is that if we own all 30 first rounders then we don't need to tank. We can win the cup AND the draft the same year!! Can't believe no one tried it yet...

Last edited:

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
It hurts to say but I think we should trade him.

His best/only asset is his speed and thats always the first thing to go. Once he loses that, he is not an NHL player. If we pay him what he is worth now, we will regret it later.

Yes he is only 30, so its possible he still has a few years until he slows down, but I don't know if I am willing to take that gamble.

for the record, 30 is not "old". there are plenty of great players 30 and above, but how many of them are known for their speed?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Trade Grabner, Hank, Nash, Kreider, McDonaugh, Shattenkirk, Hayes and Zucc yesterday for 29 1st rounders. Then we tank to 1st OA and we'll FINALLY win the draft.

Though the truth is that if we own all 30 first rounders then we don't need to tank. We can win the cup AND the draft the same year!! Can't believe no one tried it yet...

That sounds like a pretty bad idea, unless you want to watch Oilers kind of hockey for a decade and a half (losing culture). Any team needs experience to solidify the lineup, neverthless it's only a chance prospects will actually become solid NHL players.

That's a "buy lottery tickets with all your money, to become richer" kind of solution. The kind of idea you find in a slapstick comedy.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
There is no way a big-market team like us will be sellers unless we are definitively if not mathematically done by March 1. The true fans would stick around, but those corporate deals for seats and suites? No company will re-up to host clients, entertain their employees, and be a visible sponsor in front of a legit losing and subsequently bubble team for several years before they are legit contenders again. It's a losing proposition financially for one of the league's most visible and expensive franchises.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is no way a big-market team like us will be sellers unless we are definitively if not mathematically done by March 1. The true fans would stick around, but those corporate deals for seats and suites? No company will re-up to host clients, entertain their employees, and be a visible sponsor in front of a legit losing and subsequently bubble team for several years before they are legit contenders again. It's a losing proposition financially for one of the league's most visible and expensive franchises.
If the New York Yankees can be sellers, anyone can be sellers.

Reactions: Lion Hound

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
If the New York Yankees can be sellers, anyone can be sellers.

I know next to nothing about the Yankees and how they operate. A better analogy might have been the Knicks since they're another Dolan property. I'm fairly confident that Dolan's operating philosophy is to ice annually a competitive team. Gorton very likely needs Dolan's buy-in if the team is to be a seller.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

His best/only asset is his speed and thats always the first thing to go. Once he loses that, he is not an NHL player. If we pay him what he is worth now, we will regret it later.

Yes he is only 30, so its possible he still has a few years until he slows down, but I don't know if I am willing to take that gamble.

for the record, 30 is not "old". there are plenty of great players 30 and above, but how many of them are known for their speed?

Mike Gartner scored 30+ goals as a 36 year old.

Grabner is a fitness nut, so I'm less concerned about speed. Definitely would shy away from a contract over 3 years, however.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I know next to nothing about the Yankees and how they operate. A better analogy might have been the Knicks since they're another Dolan property. I'm fairly confident that Dolan's operating philosophy is to ice annually a competitive team. Gorton very likely needs Dolan's buy-in if the team is to be a seller.
The NY Yankees are one of the greatest franchises in any sport on any continent. They have not had a loosing season in a quarter century. Their motto is to win the World Series every year. But when it was so painfully obvious that the team was not a true contender, they became sellers and restocked the system. Last year the were within a game of the Series again. If they can be sellers, anyone can be seller. If the Steinbrenner family can be convinced to sell, so too can Dolan. During the Dark Years, the Garden was STILL sold out.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Mike Gartner scored 30+ goals as a 36 year old.

Grabner is a fitness nut, so I'm less concerned about speed. Definitely would shy away from a contract over 3 years, however.

Oh its definitely possible, but Gartner is the exception. Not the rule.

also Gartner played in a much higher scoring NHL

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Grabs current line may work really well with him. They might give him so many passes in the next 50 games he may get tired of shooting.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
That sounds like a pretty bad idea, unless you want to watch Oilers kind of hockey for a decade and a half (losing culture). Any team needs experience to solidify the lineup, neverthless it's only a chance prospects will actually become solid NHL players.

That's a "buy lottery tickets with all your money, to become richer" kind of solution. The kind of idea you find in a slapstick comedy.
My attempt at sarcastic humor appears to have failed.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York

Marleau and St. Louis come to mind as guys in their late 30's who could make plays with their speed.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
My attempt at sarcastic humor appears to have failed.

Careful there are poster(s) that advocate 3-4-5 way trades and making trades where players flip 5 times over and that dude is serious. Sometimes good sarcasm gets lost.

But I am all for 1st rounds where the Rangers have every pick, I would love to see the bitching and moaning about reaches, it would be fascinating.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
How much can we resign Grabner for now 3.5 mil. with a good discount? :)

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
How the hell does this guy lead your team in goals? He doesn't get a sniff on the PP and doesn't play in your top 6, yet he has 16??

I shudder to think what he'd do if your coach actually gave him quality top 6 minutes and cookie time. Or would he revert to doing nothing but squander those opportunities?

lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How the hell does this guy lead your team in goals? He doesn't get a sniff on the PP and doesn't play in your top 6, yet he has 16??

I shudder to think what he'd do if your coach actually gave him quality top 6 minutes and cookie time. Or would he revert to doing nothing but squander those opportunities?

lol

Grabner's strength is his speed. That isn't really something you can use on the PP.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Grabs is awesome. I'm happy for the guy. He is really showing his improved confidence this season. I couldn't believe a poster wanted him on our fourth line this season despite how well he played last season. With that said some GMs will see how many empty net goals he has scored.

Reactions: eco's bones

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Grabner's strength is his speed. That isn't really something you can use on the PP.

Ah yes, we also saw that speed on display when he played one season for us, but he only potted 9 and looked mostly disinterested other than his obvious PK skill.

Glad to see him kicking ass for you guys now, just amazed that he's been able to sustain this production to-date - not sure what his shooting % is, but it has to be due for a regression.

That goal last night was cringe-worthy, but you gotta be good to be lucky.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ah yes, we also saw that speed on display when he played one season for us, but he only potted 9 and looked mostly disinterested other than his obvious PK skill.

Glad to see him kicking ass for you guys now, just amazed that he's been able to sustain this production to-date - not sure what his shooting % is, but it has to be due for a regression.

That goal last night was cringe-worthy, but you gotta be good to be lucky.

It's not a fluke either. If anything, his seasons in Toronto were the exception.

Reactions: kovazub94

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Grabner really is a third liner but quite possibly is the best third liner in the NHL. It's hard to explain but it's not like he moves the puck around to his linemates all that great. It's more how the Rangers look to spring him because he is lightning fast. A lot of his goals as well comes from him pressuring a point man off the puck and just taking off. I really don't know if we who would be as effective on another team. It's like he's tailor made for this team. The Rangers even if they were to trade him should absolutely try to re-sign him and if they re-sign before the end of this year I wouldn't be trading him at all. With him on our team--we're pretty much guaranteed to have scoring and good defense from our third line. That's a valuable thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad