Player Discussion Michael Grabner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
He is so good in a NYR sweater, that I hate the idea of not bringing him back. He has to command at least double what he currently is getting...at least by what his numbers command based on other contracts. How much is too much for Grabner to not make sense in a NYR sweater?

Then you think about what his trade value might be at the deadline. Netted 27 last season, and he's on pace for more this year. I think that could potentially land a first rounder.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Grabner is likely to make a boatload of money if he goes UFA. Personally I'd cut that off at the pass if I could. Gorton should be talking to his agent. $2.5--$3 mil per I'd have no problem. Miller, Hayes and Skjei are going to need more money for sure but Nash if he comes back is going to get a lot less and I value Grabner over Nash.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'm hoping we can keep him at a fair price (his age helps) but I'm sure there will be a desperate GM on the hot seat who will throw $$$ at Grabs on July 1st in order to keep himself employed and the owner happy. All it takes is one.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Grabner is likely to make a boatload of money if he goes UFA. Personally I'd cut that off at the pass if I could. Gorton should be talking to his agent. $2.5--$3 mil per I'd have no problem. Miller, Hayes and Skjei are going to need more money for sure but Nash if he comes back is going to get a lot less and I value Grabner over Nash.
This is one of the perfect players to trade. Much as he may have fit in well, this team is not a serious contender. He will not be worth the cash that he will collect as a UFA and the Rangers will not be able to afford him at such values. He, like Nash, need to be traded away to recoup as many assets as possible.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Trade him. Prime trade candidate. With his cap hit you can even package him with Holden to a contending team with minimal cap space

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is one of the perfect players to trade. Much as he may have fit in well, this team is not a serious contender. He will not be worth the cash that he will collect as a UFA and the Rangers will not be able to afford him at such values. He, like Nash, need to be traded away to recoup as many assets as possible.

I'm not against trading him if we can get a 1st. If that happened I'd look to resign him in July if he's still a free agent. I suspect we'd pay more for Michael then but we'd have the extra 1st then--so I could live with shelling out a little more for him. He's 3 years younger than Nash and is on his way to a second terrific season for us. Nash is definitely a guy who I'd move over Grabner and we might get even more for him.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Trade him. Prime trade candidate. With his cap hit you can even package him with Holden to a contending team with minimal cap space

It really depends on where we are at the TDL. If we're in the playoffs, we're buyers. If we're clearly out of the playoffs, I would imagine we'll move Nash, Grabner and (hopefully) Holden. My biggest worry is that we're something like 4 points out of a playoff spot at the TDL and we either become buyers or do nothing, end up missing the playoffs and end up getting nothing for Nash or Grabner.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Grabner is 39th in the league in goal scoring since the start of last season, 24th this season. The idea that he's going to sign anywhere for 2.5M is laughable.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Half of his goals are empty netters, and his shooting % is high. 23%!!! He's a decent bottom six player, good on pk. So anything less than 3 million is fine

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I would not give Grabner $4M.

Maybe $4M total on like a two or three year deal...

Then you won't re-sign him. And that's fine. I think he's probably going to get around 4M/yr and I wouldn't give him that either. I would most likely hold on to him and let him walk in the offseason.

Half of his goals are empty netters, and his shooting % is high. 23%!!! He's a decent bottom six player, good on pk. So anything less than 3 million is fine

He has the 14th most goals at 5v5 in the league since he became a Ranger. He doesn't only score empty netters. His 5v5 shooting% since then is 16.1%. The average among the top 30 goal scorers since then is 13.5%. If you drop his sh% to 13.% he goes from 27 goals to 22 goals which still puts him in the top 40.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Not making playoffs doomsday scenario...

Nash for 1st, 3rd and top prospect
Grabner for 1st & middle range prospect
Desharnais for a 5th
Holden for a 2nd
Smith and 3rd for a 6th and low prospect

Send down/waive Carey & Kampfer if we can’t get a 6th or better for them.

Call up the kids and let’s see what we have. Make a fun at JT July 1st...

Kreider - Zibanejad- Buchnevich
Zuccarello - Miller - Hayes
Vesey - Chytil - Fast
Gropp - Fontaine - Nieves
Holland

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Pionk-Skeji
AdA - Day
Staal

Reactions: Ori

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Such brilliant points and posts by most. 2mil? LMAO. Despite his age, any GM with half a brain would love THIS Grabner for at least 3-3.5. wow to some that say he would only pay or imply he only deserves 2 mil. That is funny. He is one of the most obvious reasons as to why this team is competitive. Not to mention he if sobering for some of the dead cap space we have.
We are paying him and his expertise basically the same that a damned rookie gets. Implorable, but good for us. Believe me, he will get his payday. Trading him at tell, will hurt the team this year, but could pay massive dividends down the road. Get that 1st rounder!

Reactions: eco's bones

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
A package like that for a team looking at the bubble could push them in........ think Chicago, Boston, ,Detroit or a team like Edmonton that could use that experience and leadership. McDavid could only do so much and having Grabner could add another dimension.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We are paying him and his expertise basically the same that a damned rookie gets. Implorable, but good for us. Believe me, he will get his payday. Trading him at tell, will hurt the team this year, but could pay massive dividends down the road. Get that 1st rounder!
I cannot see him fetching a 1st rounder.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Grabner is 39th in the league in goal scoring since the start of last season, 24th this season. The idea that he's going to sign anywhere for 2.5M is laughable.

One of the main reasons he's been effective here is because of the role he's been given. I wouldn't be surprised if some team made him a huge offer but if they're expecting a 1st line wing they're in for an unhappy surprise. The Rangers have worked out plays to take advantage of his speed--he also creates others from defensive situations where he smothers the guy with the puck or picks off passes and then takes off......and then there are the empty netters. These aren't the usual way known 'goal scorers' get their goals--off the cycle or the power play or coming down the ice on a rush with all their line mates. With Grabner it's just him getting the puck past the D.

He's really a third liner who has made an art form out of taking advantage of the opposition in defensive situations and it's great having that kind of a constant offensive threat on your third line. He might be the best third line player in the league but he's still a third liner and should be used as such.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Some of you are ****ing nuts. You wouldn't give a guy with blazing speed, a good, a fantastic defensive stick and an insanely good hard working effort, 2mill a year?
Players like that dont fall from trees. There's bums around the league being paid more than grabner is being paid right now. 2mill a year would be a steal.

and trade him? yeah okay, lets get another wolfpack guy up to replace him that isn't ready for the NHL.

/s

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Some of you are ****ing nuts. You wouldn't give a guy with blazing speed, a good, a fantastic defensive stick and an insanely good hard working effort, 2mill a year?
Players like that dont fall from trees. There's bums around the league being paid more than grabner is being paid right now. 2mill a year would be a steal.

and trade him? yeah okay, lets get another wolfpack guy up to replace him that isn't ready for the NHL./s
Yes, trade him. This team is not competing for the Cup Finals. As such, any player that can bring back assets is tradeable. Want to resign him for $2m in the off season? Fine. However, his price tag as a UFA is going to be more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad