Michael Dal Colle (C/LW)

Isles1966

Oct 14, 2017
I do not know if he will be worthy of a top 5 pick, but am not ready to say he will not be an Nhl player with a long career. The one period of play I saw him in pre-season his play defensively was looking solid. I do believe his offensive output will be correlated with the offensive skills of those on his line. I was hoping Barzal might have needed a bit of seasoning in the minors and may still end up there when Quine comes back, so he and DalColle could create some chemistry. MDC always had his best numbers in juniors with that type of player which is fine. He is still finding out where to go for the scoring opportunities in pro hockey but I see him as a guy with quiet determination to get to where he wants to be, the NHL. Look at Mantha in Detroit, his and MDC first year in minors same ppg. Mantha had 2 full years in minors and sent to minors in 3rd season for a bit.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
To be fair, I don't recall seeing many lists with Nylander in the top 5 either. Reinhart I'll ignore since he wasn't really a consensus (that draft had no real consensus after the top 2, arguably 3 spots), but in MDC's case, pretty much everyone had him a notch above Nylander. Bob McKenzie's poll of NHL scouts had MDC at 5 and Nylander at 9. In fact, if you look at that link, you can see that each of Button, THN, ISS, hockeyprospect.com and McKeen's had MDC higher than Nylander. Also, only one of those rankings had MDC outside of the top 5, whereas only one had Nylander in the top 5. Granted, it's a small notch above Nylander, but still a notch.

Overall I do agree with your point, but I also think that if you don't want your GM thinking his scouts know more than the consensus, then you should be glad Snow took MDC. That said, I do believe a GM should think his scouts know more than the consensus -- that's the whole reason he hired them.

I was under the impression Kautonen ran the 2015 draft, since Klatt had announced he was leaving in April, and I wasn't sure when the handoff actually occurred. You may well be right that Klatt handled the 2015 draft though. But I do wonder if the Euros were who Kautonen was campaigning for as our head European scout and got overruled by Klatt, but their superior results made Kautonen look better in hindsight. Would explain how he go the job. But who knows on that.
Actually I don't know when the handoff occurred. I was just acknowledging that Klatt was officially the head scout so that draft was technically under his watch. But we don't know who really had Snow's ear for the top pick. We do know that Saraceno pushed for Beauvillier. Barzal? Who knows.

BTW, you may recall that Klatt was the guy who pushed for Brock Nelson even though he was not head scout at that time.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Just observing this thread throughout the day, we should move him. Even if he is progressing, think we have other pieces. Maybe he can be part of a deal for Duchene. If not that, maybe we get a 3rd rounder out of him

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Just observing this thread throughout the day, we should move him. Even if he is progressing, think we have other pieces. Maybe he can be part of a deal for Duchene. If not that, maybe we get a 3rd rounder out of him
what are the Islanders going to do with a 3rd rounder? Grab a player like Taylor Cammarata that will be forgot 10 minutes after the draft and gone for good 4-5 years from now?

Here's a disappointing prospect who's not shown any development since being picked 5th overall a few years ago - let's trade him for a top line star? Colorado has YAKUPOV, why would they want Dal Colle? I think there's zero market value for Dal Colle, there've been dozens of players like him that never make the NHL. Good (or great) teams have depth of talent so missing on picks isn't devastating like it is to Garth.

Conor Sheary, Jake Guentzel, Bryan Rust, Brian Dumolin -- what's wrong with finding players outside the top 5 or making a trade for Kessel or Hagelin or Bonino or Daley.

Again, all these little things we bring up on this board are a focus because we have a GM that hasn't addressed the larger issues with the team, the gaping holes we all see, that he hopes to fill with some luck or some "what ifs" - hope is his strategy.

And ownership thinks Garth is going to suddenly become a top GM? convince Tavares that it's worth spending his whole career under a sub-par GM?

Back to Dal Colle, unless you can flip him like the Reinhart move, you gotta hold on to him.

Reactions: BillD

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'd really like to see

MDC - Barzal - Ho-Sang Line

I think that could work...kid line 2.0

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
what are the Islanders going to do with a 3rd rounder? Grab a player like Taylor Cammarata that will be forgot 10 minutes after the draft and gone for good 4-5 years from now?

Here's a disappointing prospect who's not shown any development since being picked 5th overall a few years ago - let's trade him for a top line star? Colorado has YAKUPOV, why would they want Dal Colle? I think there's zero market value for Dal Colle, there've been dozens of players like him that never make the NHL. Good (or great) teams have depth of talent so missing on picks isn't devastating like it is to Garth.

Conor Sheary, Jake Guentzel, Bryan Rust, Brian Dumolin -- what's wrong with finding players outside the top 5 or making a trade for Kessel or Hagelin or Bonino or Daley.

Again, all these little things we bring up on this board are a focus because we have a GM that hasn't addressed the larger issues with the team, the gaping holes we all see, that he hopes to fill with some luck or some "what ifs" - hope is his strategy.

And ownership thinks Garth is going to suddenly become a top GM? convince Tavares that it's worth spending his whole career under a sub-par GM?

Back to Dal Colle, unless you can flip him like the Reinhart move, you gotta hold on to him.
I agree 100%. Dal Colle has shown a greater propensity to being a bust than to making an NHL roster.
His intensity and lack of skating skills make him no more than an ordinary AHL winger which is what he will likely peak at, be out of the game in less than 3 years. Time to move on. Another Garth Snow/Trent Klatt swing and a miss. Like me picking winning horses by reading the Racing Forum lol.

Reactions: majormet and mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I agree 100%. Dal Colle has shown a greater propensity to being a bust than to making an NHL roster.
His intensity and lack of skating skills make him no more than an ordinary AHL winger which is what he will likely peak at, be out of the game in less than 3 years. Time to move on. Another Garth Snow/Trent Klatt swing and a miss. Like me picking winning horses by reading the Racing Forum lol.

mind baffling to me how they can miss the top 5 picks. law of averages says one will be a fixture and here we are....nothing to show for it. MDC may carve out a career in Europe. What do you think the kid thinks these days? He surely has to see some of the guys drafted after him signing contracts for millions......

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
MDC always felt to me as if Snow was making the safe pick after screwing up on the Vanek fiasco so bad. Look back at my posts if you don't believe me but this team should have drafted Ehlers or Nylander that year, the skill level was so apparent in those two. MDC was basically picked just like Strome was..

"Well he scored a ton in juniors, why not the NHL?"

When you actually watch MDC play he doesn't wow you with anything. I am willing to wait this out to see just how he plays in an Islanders uniform before passing anymore judgment, but it doesn't look great as of now.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
MDC always felt to me as if Snow was making the safe pick after screwing up on the Vanek fiasco so bad. Look back at my posts if you don't believe me but this team should have drafted Ehlers or Nylander that year, the skill level was so apparent in those two. MDC was basically picked just like Strome was..

"Well he scored a ton in juniors, why not the NHL?"

When you actually watch MDC play he doesn't wow you with anything. I am willing to wait this out to see just how he plays in an Islanders uniform before passing anymore judgment, but it doesn't look great as of now.
Ehlers and Nylander are the new breed of draft picks for astute NHL General Managers. They can skate and handle the puck, just high skill sets and don't worry if they are small and skinny when they are picked as an 18 year old. The key word above is astute lol. I always felt that Snow was lazy and just wanted to get through the draft without too much must and fuss.
We never had a strong European presence or drafted many Euro's high on our list.
MDC might have been consensus but what did the eye test tell our scouts about him? It seems they missed by a country mile.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
2 points in 6 AHL games. What a disaster.

Team has been horrible. I will evaluate him once he hits the 20-25 game mark. Tough start but he was scoreless in his 1st 3, so maybe he is turning a corner. If eh can get up to 4-5 goals and 10-12 points by the 20 game mark (4-10-14 would require 3-9-12 in his next 14) , I'll have a little bit of optimism.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Team has been horrible. I will evaluate him once he hits the 20-25 game mark. Tough start but he was scoreless in his 1st 3, so maybe he is turning a corner. If eh can get up to 4-5 goals and 10-12 points by the 20 game mark (4-10-14 would require 3-9-12 in his next 14) , I'll have a little bit of optimism.
The Sound Tigers have 14 goals and Michael Eansor has 7 of them.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
The Sound Tigers have 14 goals and Michael Eansor has 7 of them.
Goes to show how horrible the team has been in general. I have not watched, but I'm guessing many of his goals have been of the "vulture" variety (not that those don't count all the same.) He also has 0 assists.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Goes to show how horrible the team has been in general. I have not watched, but I'm guessing many of his goals have been of the "vulture" variety (not that those don't count all the same.) He also has 0 assists.
I brought it up because I thought Eansor had a rought time in the 2 exhibitio games he played. Really looked in over his head in the game at the Coliseum. I passed a comment to the guy sitting next to me that this might be the last we see of him. Hope he makes some noise in the AHL and finds his way back up

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I agree with redbull on this... you have to eat your losses on him and bring him up and hope that something happens that hasn't happened yet. We lose Kulemin and Chimera next year, so he can be on teh the 4th line next year if anything

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I agree with redbull on this... you have to eat your losses on him and bring him up and hope that something happens that hasn't happened yet. We lose Kulemin and Chimera next year, so he can be on teh the 4th line next year if anything

I don't remember the last time I agreed with you, but this is now it. Whenever the time arises just call him up and see how far away he is. Maybe instead of playing with the AHL guys, playing with a Barzal or Tavares will truly make him show his full potential.

More hopefulness than reality, but whatever.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't remember the last time I agreed with you, but this is now it. Whenever the time arises just call him up and see how far away he is. Maybe instead of playing with the AHL guys, playing with a Barzal or Tavares will truly make him show his full potential.

More hopefulness than reality, but whatever.

We have agreed in the past, but the Isles are a frustrating mess and fandom in itself is inane, so the downward trends and potential of this franchise make everyone a lot less likely to agree

With MDC, it is not even a case of asset mismanagement, it is just a bad gamble pick, and stranger things have happened, Isles will have a lot of openings next year so he can be in a bottom 6 role with no pressure, dealing him will get back a 4th rounder at this point. So retain and hope he doesn't end up in the same sentence as Chyzowski and Scissons in a few years.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
MDC was considered a "complimentary player" in his draft year (which is why I didn't want to take him at #5). In his defense, if he's not playing with skilled guys that he can "compliment", ie., that can get him the puck in shooting position or create rebound chances, then he's probably not going to put up points since he can't create chances himself. Didn't he have a terrible 1/2 year in juniors before getting traded to a better team where he put up good numbers? Anyway, it's still hard to see other dynamic guys that we could have taken....

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
Ehlers and Nylander are the new breed of draft picks for astute NHL General Managers. They can skate and handle the puck, just high skill sets and don't worry if they are small and skinny when they are picked as an 18 year old. The key word above is astute lol. I always felt that Snow was lazy and just wanted to get through the draft without too much must and fuss.
We never had a strong European presence or drafted many Euro's high on our list.
MDC might have been consensus but what did the eye test tell our scouts about him? It seems they missed by a country mile.

I could go on a crusade about how people here underrated Ehlers/Nylander because of the size fetish

But tbh he was picked right around where he was supposed to, it's not like he was Lawson Crouse. Also like most here I have no real ability to judge hockey players, let alone prospects lol

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
This was already posted I think, but Dal Colle even strength scoring was not really that impressive in juniors, pedestrian at best. He was considered the safe pick. I'm not ready to throw the towel in on him yet though. The important thing with prospects is we see improvement each season, not regression. He's always been a streaky player, and he has not been much of a possession driver, its up to the possession driver to feed him the puck so he can unleash his shot. Too soon to hit the panic button. I can understand fans frustrations though because Garth has been bad drafting in the top 5. But until we can see what Dal Colle can do at the NHL level I'm not going to judge him. I supported the pick because it was the consensus pick at the time... Was a big fan of Draisaitl in the 2014 draft. Knew we did not have a chance at Ekblad, my top 5 were Draisaitl, Nylander, Dal Colle but we missed on Draisaitl.

There were rumblings that the Flames were high on Dal Colle as well, but they went with Bennett. Wanted no part of Bennett and look how he is doing with the Flames. Bad. We have not seen Dal Colle yet at the NHL level and until I do I will reserve judgement, but I trust management is doing the right thing with him

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Two months ago I went to Gulfstream for the first time in 5 years and picked 4 Exactas in 9 races from reading the Racing Forum . . . not fair to pick on the Forum!!!

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
The pick was made, nothing anyone can do about it now. In all fairness, he was right around the consensus #5 pick for the longest time before the draft. I don't think he has any value as a trade piece right now, maybe the equivalent of a 4th round pick, or a very minor throw-in to a larger deal. He's still only 21. I'd rather just hold onto him and see if he can figure it out.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad