Michael Dal Colle (C/LW)

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Feel like this is going in circles.

If turning the pick directly into Barzal is not something we know and can evaluate, then I don't even know how we can have opinions about any of Snow's moves, frankly.
We can have an opinion on what impact a move has. The problem is you are dead convinced that the move where Snow used his 4th overall on a bad player directly led to us getting Barzal. I'm not.

If you have no opinion on what would've happened had we not made the moves we did, in what way can we even discuss what moves would've been better? And if we can't say a move would be better, then how can we call any move horrible?
I don't understand. If the options are draft Rielly, get Barzal or draft and keep Reinhart I can easily see which move is the worst even if I can't tell which move is the best.

I tend to judge most things on results. I don't see why one would be upset about anything they feel impacted them preferably. I'm focused on this particular pick because the post I responded to was saying it's nuts to be OK with this particular pick, and I disagree with that.
I don't see anyone above who disagrees that the impact of the trade is positive, I mostly see a couple of people lamenting Snow's drafting record. And also me questioning that Reinhart was absolutely needed to draft Barzal. Given how little teams thought of him at the draft it's easily imaginable that a scenario exist in which the Islanders draft Rielly, but get Barzal in 2015 anyway.

Reinhart will go down in history as a very bad 4th overall pick - do you agree or not? If you do, everyone agrees as well and I don't know if there's anything more to discuss.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
When assessing Snow's first round picks, only Tavares and Barzal are worthy of their first round selections. Bailey, de Haan, Niedereitter, Nelon, Strome, Reinhart, Pulock, Michael Dal Colle, Josh Ho-Sang, and Anthony Beauvillier have all put forth performances of players who could have been taken in the 2nd round or later, in retrospect.

what the f***

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Feel like this is going in circles.

We can have an opinion on what impact a move has. The problem is you are dead convinced that the move where Snow used his 4th overall on a bad player directly led to us getting Barzal. I'm not.
So Reinhart being traded for the pick is how we got Barzal is too speculative for you, but coming up with other situations where the Islanders get Barzal and believing them to be possible based on absolutely nothing is how you go off the facts? Interesting.

I don't understand. If the options are draft Rielly, get Barzal or draft and keep Reinhart I can easily see which move is the worst even if I can't tell which move is the best.

No idea what you're trying to say here.

I don't see anyone above who disagrees that the impact of the trade is positive, I mostly see a couple of people lamenting Snow's drafting record. And also me questioning that Reinhart was absolutely needed to draft Barzal. Given how little teams thought of him at the draft it's easily imaginable that a scenario exist in which the Islanders draft Rielly, but get Barzal in 2015 anyway.

Reinhart will go down in history as a very bad 4th overall pick - do you agree or not? If you do, everyone agrees as well and I don't know if there's anything more to discuss.

I mean, the post I responded to literally said it was nuts to be OK with the pick, regardless of how it impacted the Islanders. I didn't say anything about Snow's draft record, I just said I'm happy with this pick since it impacted the team positively. I don't see how there's anything nuts about that. I'd gladly give up the 4th overall in that draft for Barzal again. and that's what happened. If you want to make up imaginary scenarios and assume they would have happened and been better, go for it, it's totally your prerogative. But the fact is that the 4th overall became Barzal and not Rielly and that's overall better for the Islanders.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Well, this has gone on for too long and I can see I'm not making any progress, so I'll try to keep my final post short.

So Reinhart being traded for the pick is how we got Barzal is too speculative for you, but coming up with other situations where the Islanders get Barzal and believing them to be possible based on absolutely nothing is how you go off the facts? Interesting.
Reinhart being traded for the pick we got Barzal with is what happened, it's not speculative. What's speculative is claiming that Reinhart was a great pick, because that's the only way we could have gotten Barzal - which is what you're doing. And yes, my imaginary scenarios are also like that - speculative and that's the whole point. To use your language, if you want to believe that, you are free to. Most other people would simply say that the pick was terrible and the trade was great - and don't claim anything past that.

Last edited:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Well, this has gone on for too long and I can see I'm not making any progress, so I'll try to keep my final post short.

Reinhart being traded for the pick we got Barzal with is what happened, it's not speculative. What's speculative is claiming that Reinhart was a great pick, because that's the only way we could have gotten Barzal - which is what you're doing. And yes, my imaginary scenarios are also like that - speculative and that's the whole point. To use your language, if you want to believe that, you are free to. Most other people would simply say that the pick was terrible and the trade was great - and don't claim anything past that.
I never called it a great pick nor did I say it was the only way we could get Barzal, so I am glad we can agree that my point was not based on anything speculative. Anyway, cheers.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad