• Saginaw

Votes: 28 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Have to remember that host or not, Saginaw is going to be buying next season. They’ll almost certainly package some of their 2023 picks and move them for 24/25/26 picks when the window opens before the draft. London and Guelph as well will have quite a bit to add with. You’ll be fighting for the same players with less ammo. Not saying Soo can’t build up a contender, but it doesn’t favor the hounds to get into a bidding war to fill out the roster.

What are you talking about?

Saginaw has 4 2nd round picks, 4 3rd round picks and 4 4th round picks. You have some picks tied up as conditionals from Fantili that you won't see

SSM has 4 2nd rounds picks, 3 3rd-round picks, and 7 4th-round picks.

This is in the 4-year period that you'll be able to trade with.

You don't have this massive load of picks over the Hounds like talked about.

If forced into it, hounds will have a top 4 pick to move too. That should help them land one of the bigger fish in the league.

There is also the factor that if not named host you won't have the same pulling power as the host team... so in reality YOU may not want to go into a bidding war with the host team.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What are you talking about?

Saginaw has 4 2nd round picks, 4 3rd round picks and 4 4th round picks. You have some picks tied up as conditionals from Fantili that you won't see

SSM has 4 2nd rounds picks, 3 3rd-round picks, and 7 4th-round picks.

This is in the 4-year period that you'll be able to trade with.

You don't have this massive load of picks over the Hounds like talked about.

If forced into it, hounds will have a top 4 pick to move too. That should help them land one of the bigger fish in the league.

There is also the factor that if not named host you won't have the same pulling power as the host team... so in reality YOU may not want to go into a bidding war with the host team.
You missed the part where I said Saginaw will likely move a chunk of their 2023 2nds and 3rds so that they are in 24/25/26 right before the draft. They’re going to have additional picks to use by the end of April. And it’s not just Saginaw. I said there are other teams that will be fighting for resources as well.

I also went over how from a GM’s perspective, you take the higher return, whether that’s the host team or not.

And you’re going to move you’re top 4 pick? It doesn’t happen often but I suppose, yes, you would have that option.

Reactions: dirty12

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Someone brought this up to me last night...is there still not vaccination requirements with traveling to the United States, especially if you're flying?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Someone brought this up to me last night...is there still not vaccination requirements with traveling to the United States, especially if you're flying?
As of now, Yes. From the CDC website:

• If you are a non-U.S. citizen who is a nonimmigrant (not a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, lawful permanent resident, or traveling to the United States on an immigrant visa), you will need to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before you travel by air to the United States from a foreign country.

That could change in the next 14 months.

Reactions: dirty12

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
As of now, Yes. From the CDC website:

• If you are a non-U.S. citizen who is a nonimmigrant (not a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, lawful permanent resident, or traveling to the United States on an immigrant visa), you will need to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before you travel by air to the United States from a foreign country.

That could change in the next 14 months.

But at the time of decision making there are still vaccination requirements. So much like arena work, although it can happen in the future it's not something that can be 100% guaranteed when making decision.

Doesn't matter if it can change in next 14 months, it also can not change in the next 14 months.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
But at the time of decision making there are still vaccination requirements. So much like arena work, although it can happen in the future it's not something that can be 100% guaranteed when making decision.

Doesn't matter if it can change in next 14 months, it also can not change in the next 14 months.
If it doesn't change it's not an issue. Canada's vaccination rate is something like 83%. On top of that, there were many events/places that one needed to have proof of vaccination for already. If one is inclined to go travelling internationally, they've likely already gotten their proof of vaccination.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
If it doesn't change it's not an issue. Canada's vaccination rate is something like 83%. On top of that, there were many events/places that one needed to have proof of vaccination for already. If one is inclined to go travelling internationally, they've likely already gotten their proof of vaccination.

I know tons of unvaccinated people still. Regardless of how you feel it still is another factor that goes against Saginaw/USA. I'm not picking on Saginaw but there are obvious hurdles still...I could say compared to all 3 ontario cities bidding.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
You missed the part where I said Saginaw will likely move a chunk of their 2023 2nds and 3rds so that they are in 24/25/26 right before the draft. They’re going to have additional picks to use by the end of April. And it’s not just Saginaw. I said there are other teams that will be fighting for resources as well.

I also went over how from a GM’s perspective, you take the higher return, whether that’s the host team or not.

And you’re going to move you’re top 4 pick? It doesn’t happen often but I suppose, yes, you would have that option.
From a GMs perspective if the player you're trying to move has a NTC clause, they're handcuffed to do what the player wants rather than what they want...you can't tell me than a high end player wouldn't want to go to a Memorial Cup team even if that team is offering crumbs to get that player; the GM either trades for crumbs or nothing and keeps the player

Reactions: HF92

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
From a GMs perspective if the player you're trying to move has a NTC clause, they're handcuffed to do what the player wants rather than what they want...you can't tell me than a high end player wouldn't want to go to a Memorial Cup team even if that team is offering crumbs to get that player; the GM either trades for crumbs or nothing and keeps the player

Shane Wright picked his destination this year coming back to the O and still got a haul for Kingston. A NTC may limit compensation a little, but not enough to make prices pennies on the dollar. Teams are still going to have to pay up next season especially if London is buying. I bet a huge subset of NTC players would rather go to London over SSM even if SSM is awarded the memorial cup.

• Haha

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Shane Wright picked his destination this year coming back to the O and still got a haul for Kingston. A NTC may limit compensation a little, but not enough to make prices pennies on the dollar. Teams are still going to have to pay up next season especially if London is buying. I bet a huge subset of NTC players would rather go to London over SSM even if SSM is awarded the memorial cup.

I highly doubt it. Ssm is a place people want to be in now. We have a few London Jr Knights now ( and will have more after the draft ). I can't imagine ever passing the opportunity to play in the Memorial Cup guaranteed to play anywhere.

Sounds like you got SSM and Niagara confused.. LOL

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I highly doubt players with NTC’s go up to GM’s and say “I’m ONLY going to x team.” Despite what some people like to believe, players aren’t this inflexible.

They likely give a list of teams they are willing to be moved to. GM’s work from that and take the best offer. That would almost certainly include a memorial cup host as well as other contenders.

Even with NTC’s, no deal is made in a vacuum.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I know tons of unvaccinated people still. Regardless of how you feel it still is another factor that goes against Saginaw/USA. I'm not picking on Saginaw but there are obvious hurdles still...I could say compared to all 3 ontario cities bidding.
Ok. Sounds like a them problem. They don’t wish to get the vaccine, they can stay home. It’s a 5500 seat arena. We don’t have to attract 100,000 tourists.

The obvious hurdles are arena related. This vaccination proof requirement is not.

Reactions: Spits1963

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A ton of people would be ~15, not a lot among ~40 million really

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For the sake of us all… will the CHL just announce the winner so we can all stop measuring our diks and move on.
Might not be awarded before the draft lottery or even OHL priority draft. I think that would be prudent; though if awarded before, the team winning the bid could feel better about trading all their ‘23 picks of value.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Might not be awarded before the draft lottery or even OHL priority draft. I think that would be prudent; though if awarded before, the team winning the bid could feel better about trading all their ‘23 picks of value.

I thought they moved the announcement date up to allow the host team more time to prepare for the draft.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Fingers crossed it’s soon. I have been told by several people that are involved with the league that it won’t surprise anyone if it’s announced on the day of the lottery (the 29th I believe?).

Regardless, I’ll be selfish here and agree, it would be terrific knowing what your plan needs to be going into draft season.

Reactions: HF92 and dirty12

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Fingers crossed it’s soon. I have been told by several people that are involved with the league that it won’t surprise anyone if it’s announced on the day of the lottery (the 29th I believe?).

Regardless, I’ll be selfish here and agree, it would be terrific knowing what your plan needs to be going into draft season.

I agree. They like their Wednesday announcement date lol.

Probably morning 29th.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Vaccination issues should not even be a part of the equation and I highly doubt it will be a topic in any way. It isn’t an issue for teams to cross the border for games as it stands now. It won’t be then either.

If there is one consistent stance through this whole Pandemic it has been that mostly no one cares one way or the other about unvaccinated gaining access. People lost jobs because of being unvaccinated and have not been able to return to them. I doubt anyone making this decision will care in the slightest whether a fan can cross the border.

Whether I agree with that stance is a different discussion for a different forum but rest assured, vaccination status and unvaccinated rights has been handled pretty consistently for International Travel and some domestic access. The Memorial Cup Tournament is barely a blip on that radar.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I think Vaccination issues should not even be a part of the equation and I highly doubt it will be a topic in any way. It isn’t an issue for teams to cross the border for games as it stands now. It won’t be then either.

If there is one consistent stance through this whole Pandemic it has been that mostly no one cares one way or the other about unvaccinated gaining access. People lost jobs because of being unvaccinated and have not been able to return to them. I doubt anyone making this decision will care in the slightest whether a fan can cross the border.

Whether I agree with that stance is a different discussion for a different forum but rest assured, vaccination status and unvaccinated rights has been handled pretty consistently for International Travel and some domestic access. The Memorial Cup Tournament is barely a blip on that radar.

It is still a requirement for flight into the USA is all I was pointing out. I have no issue land traveling to USA via land. They don't even ask haha.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They did ask back in October when I went to MI but it was more of an obligated ask than a true "I need to know." It shouldn't be an issue overall but that doesn't mean it won't be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad