• Niagara

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Saginaw

Votes: 28 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Here is a good new bad news fact that may have some negative.

Good news - Kingston did an upgrade expansion to the airport

Bad news- Kingston has ZERO commercial flights at the airport. There are no commercial carries at this time or for some foreseeable future

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Ill give it a go here and then talk about who I think should get it.

Ill start with Kingston.

Kingston: Great City. Great arena. Lots of quality food options. If they get Shane Wright back and deal him, that will certainly add some serious assets to contend next year.

Soo: Having a Northern Memorial Cup would be awesome. Probably one of the better returning rosters next year. Would be nice to see a smaller market, northern city host. Always produces quality teams and when they're going for it, they are aggressive. Never patch work. They go all in. I think the league should reward the North here. Team draws well. Fans travel well. This is a unique opportunity to get the Memmer back in the heart and soul communities of junior hockey.

Niagara: Owners a dink. Always has been. Wore out his stay in the OHA. Wasn't well liked. Has come up to the OHL, named himself GM, plugged in his playstation controller and went NHL 22 on his roster that already lacked a 1st round pick and quality talent. He has a 2nd rounder in this coming draft and no 3rd. Far from a stacked cupboard and very little they can offload this year to set them up for next year. I think it was a horrible decision for him to make a bid all things considering.

The positives for them: A beautiful arena in an attractive location. A very positive and great fan base. Great City and economy. Might be the most attractive option from a financial stand point.

Saginaw: The arena is going to require some work but it's in a solid location. Saginaw is a thriving city. The Dow would make a suitable host. Having Michael Misa might be the selling point for the league. Saginaw has already started a soft sell and there are quite a few assets they could trade off that would set them up WELLLLLLLLL for next year. Six 2nds and Four 3rds as of right now in the cabinet. Having an American Memmer would be kind of cool. As mentioned having Misa might slide them in as favorites but its pretty open.

For me personally,

I'd like to see it in Kingston as I love going up there on Holidays but to me this feels like the Soo's Memorial Cup to lose.

Soo
Saginaw
Kingston
Niagara

Still feel the same? I do! Hahah

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
All I know is 2 members of the committee will be in the soo on the 17th

Make sure you bring in ladies “with a full set of shiny white teeth” from out of town to great them….

All kidding aside, you’d think the whole committee would come together at the same time. I guess the others will be busy downing green beers somewhere else.

• Haha
Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Make sure you bring in ladies “with a full set of shiny white teeth” from out of town to great them….

All kidding aside, you’d think the whole committee would come together at the same time. I guess the others will be busy downing green beers somewhere else.

lmao. Ohhhhhh Monette

I cringe when I see him ref in the Sault now.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Here is a good new bad news fact that may have some negative.

Good news - Kingston did an upgrade expansion to the airport

Bad news- Kingston has ZERO commercial flights at the airport. There are no commercial carries at this time or for some foreseeable future
Wtf....just checked this and SO WEIRD how Kingston has zero Air Canada/West Jet/Porter flights...nothing....how did this happen?! How do folks in Kingston travel? Go to Peterborough or Ottawa, or drive to Pearson to fly?

Similar case with Niagara although arguably traveling from Pearson or Hamilton is a quicker drive

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Wtf....just checked this and SO WEIRD how Kingston has zero Air Canada/West Jet/Porter flights...nothing....how did this happen?! How do folks in Kingston travel? Go to Peterborough or Ottawa, or drive to Pearson to fly?

Similar case with Niagara although arguably traveling from Pearson or Hamilton is a quicker drive
I bet a lot of people in Niagara fly out of Buffalo if it's not a Canadian destination. Even with the exchange it's a lot less expensive

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think getting to Kingston is not an issue high on the priority list of the committee. None of the towns are easy. Most require some form of charter or connecting flight that would be a hassle.

My assumption is the teams and executives will fly via charter. So, Kingston would be open for charter flights. Not a big deal there.

The question is the fans. If there are fans coming from Ontario, I highly doubt any will fly. Most will drive. For those from outside Ontario, they can fly into Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal and take the VIA Train into Kingston. Or if they are renting a car regardless, they can drive.

The key point for each city is they are mostly serviced by a regional airport That requires some hub hopping if you are flying commercially.

Essentially there are no convenient cities bidding. Each require a little extra transport time one way or the other. But, that is the case for most CHL teams. Only a handful would have high volume National/International air traffic.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I think getting to Kingston is not an issue high on the priority list of the committee. None of the towns are easy. Most require some form of charter or connecting flight that would be a hassle.

My assumption is the teams and executives will fly via charter. So, Kingston would be open for charter flights. Not a big deal there.

The question is the fans. If there are fans coming from Ontario, I highly doubt any will fly. Most will drive. For those from outside Ontario, they can fly into Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal and take the VIA Train into Kingston. Or if they are renting a car regardless, they can drive.

The key point for each city is they are mostly serviced by a regional airport That requires some hub hopping if you are flying commercially.

Essentially there are no convenient cities bidding. Each require a little extra transport time one way or the other. But, that is the case for most CHL teams. Only a handful would have high volume National/International air traffic.
The flight chartering certainly takes that issue out of the equation, didn't really think about that....regardless of what city is awarded the cup I don't think how fans get to the games is a contentious issue whether it be by boat, car, train or plane....can almost guarantee that majority of the seats will be gobbled up pretty quick by hometown fans, both regular and bandwagoners, leaving very few open to out of town fans anyways and those that do choose to go are the diehard ones that don't care about method of travel and cost

Reactions: OMG67

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

As you suggested the players, support staff are flow by charter, paid for by the CHL. It is one thing they don't put on the teams. They will fly into the closest airport and Kingston airport can handle large charters. Just no commercial traffic there at present. Media will do the same. Fans always figure out how to get there or anywhere for that matter. I've driven to North Bay in a snow storm to see a game so fans will have no issue in May.

Reactions: OMG67

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
lmao. Ohhhhhh Monette

I cringe when I see him ref in the Sault now.
Monette reffed our first game after covid...texted my friend "it's been 432 days since I've yelled at Monette...good to be back."

Here's my awful official list:

1a Monette
1b Hutchinson
2 Jenken
3 Everyone Else

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The other 3 teams withdraw their bids?
LOL. If the other three team withdrew their bids, the league would be walking into offices in London, Ottawa and Oshawa begging for a late bid…..

The other 3 teams withdraw their bids?
LOL. If the other three team withdrew their bids, the league would be walking into offices in London, Ottawa and Oshawa begging for a late bid

three dog night

May 3, 2014
LOL. If the other three team withdrew their bids, the league would be walking into offices in London, Ottawa and Oshawa begging for a late bid…..

LOL. If the other three team withdrew their bids, the league would be walking into offices in London, Ottawa and Oshawa begging for a late bid
No they won’t and probably can’t do it

I think Niagara wins because...
Wonder if it was part of ownership deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad