• Niagara

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Saginaw

Votes: 28 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The OHL does not have the clout to make an ownership deal with a Memorial Cup payoff. That would be scandalous.

Reactions: HF92

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Did they skip the bidding process and award it to Mississauga or was there a priority to open the Toronto market?
As I recall Melnyk was hell bent on getting another Memorial Cup for his beloved St Mike's Majors. He couldn't possibly host the Memorial Cup at the tiny downtown Toronto barn so he moved them to Mississauga and the Ice Dogs relocated to Niagara. Obviously I have no proof of any shenanigans but just the fact that he took his ball and went home after hosting the Cup left a bad taste in my mouth. He basically buried the St Mike's franchise and it's history. The whole thing seemed fishy.

If it was a bid to open the Toronto market it failed miserably. As I recall most of the people that attended were fans from out of town OHL teams. Even game 7 of the OHL final vs Owen Sound was 3/4 full of out of town fans mostly cheering for the Attack.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As I recall Melnyk was hell bent on getting another Memorial Cup for his beloved St Mike's Majors. He couldn't possibly host the Memorial Cup at the tiny downtown Toronto barn so he moved them to Mississauga and the Ice Dogs relocated to Niagara. Obviously I have no proof of any shenanigans but just the fact that he took his ball and went home after hosting the Cup left a bad taste in my mouth. He basically buried the St Mike's franchise and it's history. The whole thing seemed fishy.

If it was a bid to open the Toronto market it failed miserably. As I recall most of the people that attended were fans from out of town OHL teams. Even game 7 of the OHL final vs Owen Sound was 3/4 full of out of town fans mostly cheering for the Attack.

St Mike’s were in Mississauga for three season prior to being awarded the Host location for the Memorial Cup. They had a really good team the year prior with a sold returning lineup. They ended up winning the league with 100+ points. It is not like the team itself needed much help from the OHL To position themselves as a quality host team.

Melnyk probably threw in some pretty good financial guarantees, especially if he really wanted the hosting before he sold the team. It is possible for a team to buy it provided the team projects as decent enough.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
Wanted to clean house
I get it but what about the draft picks...2 wingers with 5 points during their minor midget year...come on, I know enough to say that they were poor picks and will go out on a limb to say Darren received some benefit for drafting those players from North York.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
I would expect it after the end of the regular season. The buzz at the Dow Event Center on Saturday night was that the Memorial Cup representatives were in town for the game. Had a packed crowd of 5249 (had 5565 the previous game against Soo) and the product on the ice was nearly the same as it will be next year since Oke was in net so they got a pretty good idea of what Saginaw is bringing to the table from fans/team.

Reactions: JMCx4

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
1679402929453.png

• Haha

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

Not the welcoming committee we were hoping for. Doubt it has any real effect on our bid but not a good look. We should hear something shortly id imagine?

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

Not the welcoming committee we were hoping for. Doubt it has any real effect on our bid but not a good look. We should hear something shortly id imagine?

No real effect on bid at all.

Unfortunate timing but this is the first incident of this type I've heard of downtown in 20 years.

Reactions: saska sault

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
No real effect on bid at all.

Unfortunate timing but this is the first incident of this type I've heard of downtown in 20 years.
I hear it was a saginaw plant to try and sway the selection committee. They also snuck into Kingstons head offices to muck up trade deadline and have the Niagara ownership under a spell.....

• Haha
Reactions: DWI Dale and HF92

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

That was one game I will always remember

Reactions: rangersblues

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I have my hopes way too high for the Sault getting this... I will be first in line for season tickets and Memorial Cup packages. Was a season ticket holder for 15 years but got out of junior hockey for a while. The only concern for the Sault has to be the roster, but we can completely empty the cupboards and hopefully get a major impact import... the logisitcs, arena, facilities, and city itself will have zero issues hosting.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I have my hopes way too high for the Sault getting this... I will be first in line for season tickets and Memorial Cup packages. Was a season ticket holder for 15 years but got out of junior hockey for a while. The only concern for the Sault has to be the roster, but we can completely empty the cupboards and hopefully get a major impact import... the logisitcs, arena, facilities, and city itself will have zero issues hosting.

Have to remember that host or not, Saginaw is going to be buying next season. They’ll almost certainly package some of their 2023 picks and move them for 24/25/26 picks when the window opens before the draft. London and Guelph as well will have quite a bit to add with. You’ll be fighting for the same players with less ammo. Not saying Soo can’t build up a contender, but it doesn’t favor the hounds to get into a bidding war to fill out the roster.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Have to remember that host or not, Saginaw is going to be buying next season. They’ll almost certainly package some of their 2023 picks and move them for 24/25/26 picks when the window opens before the draft. London and Guelph as well will have quite a bit to add with. You’ll be fighting for the same players with less ammo. Not saying Soo can’t build up a contender, but it doesn’t favor the hounds to get into a bidding war to fill out the roster.
I'm sure a lot of kids that have NTC will want to play in the soo. May make it easier to add. Or only have one destination in mind. Not saying it will happen but if I knew the hounds were hosting, that's where I'd want to go. Same for any of the potential hosts.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I'm sure a lot of kids that have NTC will want to play in the soo. May make it easier to add. Or only have one destination in mind. Not saying it will happen but if I knew the hounds were hosting, that's where I'd want to go. Same for any of the potential hosts.
Oh yeah. Players would definitely want to go play in the memorial cup. But from a GM’s perspective, if one team offers 2 2nds and 3 3rds while another offers a single 2nd and a coupe 3rds, I’m moving the player to the better offer if they are ok going there. You want to do right by the players but you also can’t take discounts if better offers are out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad