Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
JEEZ I WONDER WHY
maybe its because.............. the overwhelming majority of NHL owners are nowhere near as bad as Melnyk......
Agreed with this point. Everyone complains about something or someone. That doesn’t make the reasons of complaints equivalent.

Reactions: Deku

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I wonder what will happen to this campaign if EK, Stone, and Duchene are extended in the offseason. Will this all stop?

Personally I find that this market is very sensitive at the moment and not willing to take any responsibility for their role in the team's drooping finances, or how that in a small market where revenues are linked to expenditures, how important attendance is. I know a lot of this is due to EM being unlikable, but still.

This has turned negative and no one ever comes to the table under these conditions when they are not required to. I really wish people had tried a positive approach to engaging the owner for change, unfortunately it seems that only the outraged are engaged, and this is what we get.

Unfortunately there is no reasonable way that this campaign can force out EM, or even generate meaningful conversation. It seems from what I read like people complaining over each other, to each other, because no one else is listening. I know some in here talk about the whole point of the campaign being to start a conversation, which I disagree with as I think it's clearly punitive, but to have a real conversation or discussion that has any chance of promoting change of any kind, the approach should have been by taking the high ground.

There will be talk I'm sure, but it won't involve the rabble rousers who paid money for insulting billboards over attending games to embarrass the owner. I know I wouldn't listen to a word those folks had to say, but would be open to having a conversation with folks who understood the limitations of their position and knew that they were essentially asking for things instead of demanding and pressuring.

This really isn't a social uprising, it's fans wanting the owner to spend more, and I don't think this is an effective way of going about it.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I wonder what will happen to this campaign if EK, Stone, and Duchene are extended in the offseason. Will this all stop?

Personally I find that this market is very sensitive at the moment and not willing to take any responsibility for their role in the team's drooping finances, or how that in a small market where revenues are linked to expenditures, how important attendance is. I know a lot of this is due to EM being unlikable, but still.

This has turned negative and no one ever comes to the table under these conditions when they are not required to. I really wish people had tried a positive approach to engaging the owner for change, unfortunately it seems that only the outraged are engaged, and this is what we get.

Unfortunately there is no reasonable way that this campaign can force out EM, or even generate meaningful conversation. It seems from what I read like people complaining over each other, to each other, because no one else is listening. I know some in here talk about the whole point of the campaign being to start a conversation, which I disagree with as I think it's clearly punitive, but to have a real conversation or discussion that has any chance of promoting change of any kind, the approach should have been by taking the high ground.

There will be talk I'm sure, but it won't involve the rabble rousers who paid money for insulting billboards over attending games to embarrass the owner. I know I wouldn't listen to a word those folks had to say, but would be open to having a conversation with folks who understood the limitations of their position and knew that they were essentially asking for things instead of demanding and pressuring.

This really isn't a social uprising, it's fans wanting the owner to spend more, and I don't think this is an effective way of going about it.
Taking the high ground or the low ground is all relative to one’s perspective. So, in essence, who’s more right?

Reactions: Ice-Tray

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE

I read your article but only quoted the main question. I see it as Stone a for sure thing. Karlsson is what will break the camels back. If we do trade him it's got to be for a significant amount... can't throw Ryan in to hamper the deal. If this is a rebuild then get the best pieces for your best player. If this is a money issue then you throw Ryan in.

Duchene is next years problem. He makes a good coin but how much of an increase are you willing to go? If you trade Karlsson then you are in rebuild and extending Duchene is kind of a mute point.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Awesome post. Sums up how i feel 100%.

So how do we get the positive side engaged?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

The Sens are a private enterprise but
you make the customer responsible for the profit line? When are customers ever responsible for private profit. Sears goes bankrupt do we blame the customers for not buying enough tube socks or the company for mismanagement.

In your scenario the customers are responsible for eating more big-Macs so Macdonalds will add milk-shake flavours. How does that make sense?

How do you engage an NHL owner that lives in Barbados and does 90% of his media in Toronto? Invite him to go on Oprah and we all talk about our feelings? He knows what we want. If he doesn’t, a conversation won’t help.

Meknyck doesn’t take fan advice because if he did he would of signed Alfie, not talk down Sidney Crosby, not out Karlsson into trade talks, not Created a circus out of the Heatkey and Spezza trades, not repeatedly talked down his own fan base

Even if the team was flush with money there is still no guarantee he’s pay EK and Stone, because these are individual decisions made by the owner.

This is his business. He makes that clear every time he speaks. He’s responsible for his brand and product, not us.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Awesome post. Sums up how i feel 100%.

So how do we get the positive side engaged?

By using the multi millions earned from last years playoffs run, the $16.67M in expansion fees, and the multi-millions earned from the TSN broadcast rights to lower payroll, have "one of the smallest front offices in the league" and keep an internal cap nearly 10M below the league cap.

That's the path to getting the city engaged.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
On a more serious note, I can't say definitively what the organization will look like to regain my trust. They could re-sign EK/Stone/Duchene but if it comes at the expense of current expenses, I can't get behind that. The problem I see is that spending is so often addressed by Melnyk as a zero-sum game, but I'm not sure how fair or accurate that is. A bit of extra spending on game day ops and/or marketing could lead to more ticket sales. A bit more expenditure in scouting and player salaries could lead to a more consistently competitive team.

And I have no use for the crying poor, either – this is a team that sold out games regularly for a very long time. A team that hasn't had to face any massive costs for arena redesign, like some other teams. A team that undoubtedly still makes money hand-over-fist on concessions. Even if the team itself isn't profitable (which would hardly be a surprise, given that hockey teams are usually written off as capital losses anwyay,) the arena ownership surely is. And if, for whatever reason, that's still money Eugene isn't willing to invest into his product, then he does the fans, the city and himself a disservice by holding on.

All that to say – I'm not sure what a path back to trusting this team will look like. But just as breaking my faith didn't happen overnight, a return to my former levels of enjoyment won't be a quick and painless process.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The fans COULD make Melnyk sell with unified action.

The fans who continue to support this owner by buying tickets are the problem.

Attendance: 16,538 (89.4% full) according to ESPN

16,538 "problems" according to Sensung.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

The campaign has already stopped, the billboards are up, the discussion has started and the campaign served its purpose.

I wonder when the "Love Melnyk" hot takes are going to stop?

Unfortunately there is no reasonable way that this campaign can force out EM, or even generate meaningful conversation

Where have you been this week?? There has been meaningful conversations across the country.

There will be talk I'm sure, but it won't involve the rabble rousers who paid money for insulting billboards over attending games to embarrass the owner.

Sooooo, what you are saying is that the best way to protest the owner's lack of spending, is to just keep lining his pockets with more income by buying tickets, paying for parking, etc. Seems counter productive, no?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's not all that long ago that they were selling out that arena in Kanata quite often so people didn't seem to mind driving out to watch hockey games when the team was winning & was the talk of the town. This town loves shiny new toys so I imagine a new arena would renew interest in the team for a few yrs but a good consistent winning team is what is required to restore confidence in this team & owner to a lesser degree. Maybe the shine will wear off the Redblacks by then & they can get some of those fans back with a new arena too. Winning consistently though & winning a cup would do wonders to restore confidence in the team & owner wherever they play in Kanata or downtown. We may have to wait a while longer for that to happen though.

It's not even that. Winning is great, but it isn't the only way to attract fans.

Feeling you are getting quality for both your dollar and your fandom goes a long ways. Knowing you have a great scouting staff, solid management team, a quality GM and owner whose only focus is having the best team and organization possible counts for a lot. That means having a fun and fresh in-arena experience (ie, not the same music and between periods entertainment for a decade), quality concession stands, proper staffing levels in the arena, etc. Knowing the team is putting as much resources as (realistically) possible into scouting and development in Belleville, making sure all hockey nations are covered by scouts, having proper pro scouts, etc. Building traditions. Just the overall feeling that you are supporting a first-class organization.

Having a front office and management team that are straight forward and have a strong game plan in place for the short, medium and long-term future of the team, and being able to articulate those plans and goals to the fans. Just having a solid direction in place and sharing that with the fans goes a long, long ways. Hell, we were all on board for the last re-tool...many of us were even excited to transition to a younger, fresh core. I'd be willing to bet most fans would be onboard again for another rebuild, if there was a well thought out plan laid out.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
On a more serious note, I can't say definitively what the organization will look like to regain my trust. They could re-sign EK/Stone/Duchene but if it comes at the expense of current expenses, I can't get behind that. The problem I see is that spending is so often addressed by Melnyk as a zero-sum game, but I'm not sure how fair or accurate that is. A bit of extra spending on game day ops and/or marketing could lead to more ticket sales. A bit more expenditure in scouting and player salaries could lead to a more consistently competitive team.

And I have no use for the crying poor, either – this is a team that sold out games regularly for a very long time. A team that hasn't had to face any massive costs for arena redesign, like some other teams. A team that undoubtedly still makes money hand-over-fist on concessions. Even if the team itself isn't profitable (which would hardly be a surprise, given that hockey teams are usually written off as capital losses anwyay,) the arena ownership surely is. And if, for whatever reason, that's still money Eugene isn't willing to invest into his product, then he does the fans, the city and himself a disservice by holding on.

All that to say – I'm not sure what a path back to trusting this team will look like. But just as breaking my faith didn't happen overnight, a return to my former levels of enjoyment won't be a quick and painless process.

Very well put. Not even the pro-Melnyk crowd can disagree with most of this.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Duchene is next years problem
. He makes a good coin but how much of an increase are you willing to go? If you trade Karlsson then you are in rebuild and extending Duchene is kind of a mute point.

Both Karlsson and Duchene can be extended on July 1st, this year, so they're in the same boat and neither is "next years problem".

Stone becomes a RFA on July 1st as well, so all three have to dealt with this summer.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
How many of those were Oiler fans? How many of those tickets were purchased well in advance?

Especially with Connor McDavid coming to town. COUNT, do you know who Connor McDavid is? I hear he sells a lot of tickets around the league. You know, the type of player people go out of their way to buy tickets for. We have a guy like that, but our owner thinks its best that we trade him for futures because he may be expensive.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Attendance: 16,538 (89.4% full) according to ESPN

16,538 "problems" according to Sensung.

I actually agree with you here.

From the beginning, my objections have been to actions from Melnyk that I do not like and agree with.

We have been bandying back and forth how damaging those actions really are and what should be done about it, and in that conversation I cannot agree that people who choose to buy tickets are a problem.

They are fans and consumers spending their hard earned money on something they enjoy, and for their own reasons. Just like people who don't are exercising that same choice.

We are all still allegedly fans of the same team.. what's seemed to really piss people off is other people telling them what things they have to do to be a "real" or "true" fan.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I was reading about various ownership models recently....Oh how I wish the Ottawa Senators were owned like Bayern Munchen. I don't watch soccer, but if I was ever asked to pick a favorite team, they are now it, even though I have no idea who any players are!

Also, Melnyk getting some nominations on the main board for most "recent cringeworthy moments" for the NHL. :laugh:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I actually agree with you here.

From the beginning, my objections have been to actions from Melnyk that I do not like and agree with.

We have been bandying back and forth how damaging those actions really are and what should be done about it, and in that conversation I cannot agree that people who choose to buy tickets are a problem.

They are fans and consumers spending their hard earned money on something they enjoy, and for their own reasons. Just like people who don't are exercising that same choice.

We are all still allegedly fans of the same team.. what's seemed to really piss people off is other people telling them what things they have to do to be a "real" or "true" fan.

I don't hate the owner of the Senators, but I don't agree with everything he's said in public. I don't like some of the decisions made at the CTC for Senator games, and, over the years I've adjusted my attendance to games.

I used to drive to the CTC, pay for parking, arriving early to get a good spot near an exit for easier departures. I would then eat a pre game meal in the CTC, and but a number of beers before and during the game.

I now park at a nearby establishment, have a pre-game meal and beers there, take their shuttle to and from the CTC, and only buy a beer or two at the Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad