Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I would suggest that it's a less than a "middle of the road" market for a number of reasons unique to Ottawa.

--The largest employer is the Federal Government, and this directly affects the team ability to sell private suites ......... to the point that they took a number of them out.
( the Phoenix pay system debacle has directly affected ticket sales for the past two seasons)

--The Arena location is not conducive to a franchise that is heavily dependent on game day sales, or the so called "walk up crowd".

--The Arena is poorly serviced by public transit

The Owner's plans, and commitment to move to Lebreton Flats will go a long way to improve the franchises long term viability.

This is an interesting read that points to the need to move from the fringes of the City limits to downtown, in Ottawa and other markets.
Single-use professional sports venues falter - REMI Network

Two of your three points have nothing to do with the market. While the arena is definitely a huge factor in why the Sens struggle to sell tickets, it's not an indictment on the market, per se. That problem can easily be remedied by moving the team downtown.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Actually, last evening, the commentators briefly spoke about the billboards. One of them felt that perhaps the people who invested in them could have instead spent the money on tickets for people/kids who can’t afford to go. My instant reaction to that was.... wait a minute! What about those 1500 seats that have sadly been covered with tarps by our beloved owner for the last year...? Couldn’t those go to 1500 kids who can’t afford to attend? Wouldn’t that be a nice gesture from our wonderful owner and bring him revenue in the process? ...not to mention that people would actually think, hey, that Melnyk dude is not so bad after all!

But, yeah, those people who invested money on those billboards are terrible (entitled) people.

Man, this has to be one of dumbest takes I've seen on these boards in a long time. So, instead of voicing their displeasure with the owner, they should instead try to line the owners pockets with more money?!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Man, this has to be one of dumbest takes I've seen on these boards in a long time. So, instead of voicing their displeasure with the owner, they should instead try to line the owners pockets with more money?!

Or how about the owner is a billionaire, why doesn't he buy people tickets who need them instead of insulting them, might be a good move for his image.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Two of your three points have nothing to do with the market. While the arena is definitely a huge factor in why the Sens struggle to sell tickets, it's not an indictment on the market, per se. That problem can easily be remedied by moving the team downtown.

Well Sensung has clearly stated that "the people that buy tickets, and attend Senators games, are the problem."

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

It's not all that long ago that they were selling out that arena in Kanata quite often so people didn't seem to mind driving out to watch hockey games when the team was winning & was the talk of the town. This town loves shiny new toys so I imagine a new arena would renew interest in the team for a few yrs but a good consistent winning team is what is required to restore confidence in this team & owner to a lesser degree. Maybe the shine will wear off the Redblacks by then & they can get some of those fans back with a new arena too. Winning consistently though & winning a cup would do wonders to restore confidence in the team & owner wherever they play in Kanata or downtown. We may have to wait a while longer for that to happen though.

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Well that is a very poor synopsis of the interview. It's like you already had your mind made up before you listened...
It wasnt a synopsis. I'll give him credit for being a knowledgable fan and a good speaker. That's not why he was on the radio. I was pointing out the egregious level of entitlement required for joe fan to put up a billboard and go on the radio to talk about how much someone else should spend on their business and how they should run it. To quote a bunch of heresay about the man's financial position and revenues like he just certified his books? I don't particularly like melnyk either, but what gives this person the right? To put up a billboard signed by "the fans"?

Youre right though that there's nothing he could have said that would have swayed me to this cause. He carried himself very well on the radio...that just can never make up for his indefensibly arrogant and entitled opinion and actions.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The amount of vitriolic hate starting to bubble up towards the #melnykout people is pretty interesting.

Among my favourites:

-What gives you the right to criticize any of this?

First of all this is a basic appeal to authority fallacy, that someone has to meet some arbitrary standard like "business owner" "PhD in economics/business admin" "former hockey pro / exec" etc to be able to comment on the matter at hand. It's nonsense.

Second and most obvious, the answer is that its one of the most basic human rights, freedom of expression/speech which allows you to express yourself on any subject, regardless of whether or not you are right or wrong. it's what allows you to e-yell at other people or call them idiots in response without being censored, and I kinda like it that way.
Is there some fallacy for appealing to ivory tower academia, for when people want to dip into their sociology textbook to explain why someone else's opinion is intrinsically wrong by some natural order of things?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It wasnt a synopsis. I'll give him credit for being a knowledgable fan and a good speaker. That's not why he was on the radio. I was pointing out the egregious level of entitlement required for joe fan to put up a billboard and go on the radio to talk about how much someone else should spend on their business and how they should run it. To quote a bunch of heresay about the man's financial position and revenues like he just certified his books? I don't particularly like melnyk either, but what gives this person the right? To put up a billboard signed by "the fans"?

Youre right though that there's nothing he could have said that would have swayed me to this cause. He carried himself very well on the radio...that just can never make up for his indefensibly arrogant and entitled opinion and actions.
So let's explore your position.

If I'm reading you correctly, there is no action Melnyk could take that would allow Joe Fan to question how he runs his business. Is that really your position?

Would you prefer that when passionate Sens fans got fed up they just stopped attending and said nothing?

What avenue do you foresee for fans to express their displeasure with this owner?

BTW, I agree that signing this "the fans" was a poor choice. They don't represent the feelings of all Sens fans and shouldn't act like they do. Perhaps "Unhappy Fans" would have been a better choice.

Reactions: Deku and DrEasy

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Bingo, could have not said it any better.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I am actually quite photogenic.
2b956031cfcbe524c409e3d7b20effe3_236.jpg

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So let's explore your position.

If I'm reading you correctly, there is no action Melnyk could take that would allow Joe Fan to question how he runs his business. Is that really your position?

Would you prefer that when passionate Sens fans got fed up they just stopped attending and said nothing?

What avenue do you foresee for fans to express their displeasure with this owner?

BTW, I agree that signing this "the fans" was a poor choice. They don't represent the feelings of all Sens fans and shouldn't act like they do. Perhaps "Unhappy Fans" would have been a better choice.

Every fanbase complains about their owner. Almost none of them put up billboards to do it. See this doesn't have to be all or nothing. For example, I'm okay with people complaining on forum boards, but against them setting up human chains around the rink to prevent people getting in to game nights. Shades of gray, my man.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Is there some fallacy for appealing to ivory tower academia, for when people want to dip into their sociology textbook to explain why someone else's opinion is intrinsically wrong by some natural order of things?

You can try to explain why someone is wrong using reason and evidence all you want. You and I are in agreement there I believe.

Fallacies would be faulty reasoning .. So if the glove fits.. go for it.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Every fanbase complains about their owner. Almost none of them put up billboards to do it. See this doesn't have to be all or nothing. For example, I'm okay with people complaining on forum boards, but against them setting up human chains around the rink to prevent people getting in to game nights. Shades of gray, my man.

But your criticism centered on Joe Fan having the audacity to tell the owner "how much he should spend and how he should run the franchise". None of those facts change no matter what the owner does. So in your world, owners should be free from public criticism and fans should only vent ineffectually on message boards?

I'm sorry, but that is unrealistic. This is the worst owner in the NHL and he is ruining this franchise. He deserves to be called out in every public forum possible.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
The latter is not even feasible. Local authorities would intervene. At least make a balanced comparison without going from one end of the spectrum to the other.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The latter is not even feasible. Local authorities would intervene. At least make a balanced comparison without going from one end of the spectrum to the other.
Thats funny. Thats basically the point i was trying to make to the post i quoted. It was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

JEEZ I WONDER WHY
maybe its because.............. the overwhelming majority of NHL owners are nowhere near as bad as Melnyk......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad