Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The amount of negative glee is discouraging. Enjoy your freudenschade, if that is what works for you.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've been a package holder since day 1 but will not be renewing this season but it has nothing to do with EM or the billboards. I will however still buy tickets for a few games next season.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Loved listening to the fan call-ins on team1200 ripping you so-called fans. This place is a little group-think echo chamber representing a tiny minority view of entitled internet trolls. You don't speak for the fanbase. Dont forget that.

Wait until you see the season ticket renewal rate. Then you’ll have your answer.

I have a feeling it’s not the answer you’ll be looking for.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Loved listening to the fan call-ins on team1200 ripping you so-called fans. This place is a little group-think echo chamber representing a tiny minority view of entitled internet trolls. You don't speak for the fanbase. Dont forget that.
"So-called" love it!

Talking down when you have nothing else to grasp.

Keep supporting the cancer that's infected our Sens. You are the problem. Step aside and let us take care of the Sens, before you can infect them further. Your neutrality is weakness.

Reactions: branch

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I agree with most on here that if Melnyk is to stay, he needs to completely revamp his image and needs to make foundational changes to the franchise, starting with signing karlsson long-term, investing in hockey ops, and hiring a competent long term and local CEO. If neither of these things is on the horizon, it's going to get very ugly with an already frustrated fanbase (and to be fair to the fans, this shit storm really started when melnyk opened his mouth prior to the outdoor game, and then further exasperated by the constant karlsson trade rumors). This might be too tall of an order for someone as proud as melnyk.

I wish wish wish Karlsson didn't say what he said about free agency (thanks drew bitch-ass doughty for that one). Although he's within his right, and maybe even a little ticked at management, it just wasn't an appropriate time to say 'I'm gonna get what I'm worth' when the team is in a downward spiral. And it doesn't help when the GM/owner are being petty about what was said (asking for his trade list, going from god creating Erik Karlsson on the 8th day and then saying even Gretzky got traded, etc. etc.). We can debate it ad naseum about how serious the senators really were but where there’s smoke, there’s at least some fire and there should be no doubt that the door was left open on a Karlsson trade. I think things ultimately started unravelling near trade deadline.

To the folks hoping for another owner, all I’ll say is be careful what you wish for. I agree it’s time for a change with melnyk, but I’m not going to hold the expectation that new ownership is going to ride in on a white horse and fix everything that ails the sens. Look at what’s happening with the Florida marlins. Look at Carolina Hurricanes, they all thought new ownership was going to be great and now the owner wants to be super hands-on and only pay his GMs $400K/year. It may be just as tough with another owner. Things of course could also be great, but there’s real evidence of new ownership getting off on the wrong foot.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Lol what show were you listening to? Clearly not tsn1200.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't really care for this billboard idea myself, the best case scenario is it gets people talking (which it has), but imo it puts the focus in the wrong place, though I don't really have a better solution in mind.

Having said that, I do have issue with those insulting the fans that do support the billboards. These are clearly people who are passionate about the team and are looking for a venue to give that frustration a voice. Frankly, there's nothing worse imo than somebody that claims to be superior as a fan because they don't agree with how someone else expresses their passion.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think it's time for a group hug.

It's been a long, long time since we've seen this much passion from Sens fans. Passion is a good thing. Let's harness it.

Reactions: coladin

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

So now the narrative is the billboards caused the inevitable Karlsson trade. Lolol

I doubt Eugene is that stupid. It's incredibly easy right now for disillusioned Sens fans to look down the 401 and pick up (or dust off their old) Leafs jersey. Lose the fans now, and they're likely gone for at least a decade (assuming Matthews doesn't disappear into the Bermuda Triangle or get abducted by aliens). Never, ever, piss off your customers right when your main competition is about to launch into the stratosphere.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I do have issue with those insulting the fans that do support the billboards. These are clearly people who are passionate about the team and are looking for a venue to give that frustration a voice.

I have an issue with so called fans who support the billboards. Melnyk did save this team from moving. I lived through the thought of losing my team, just as Quebec & Winnipeg did.

Many teams go through lean years. What they gonna b**** about if the SENS do get up and move?

Reactions: TNUOC ALUCARD

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Let’s roll back the Melnyck is a saviour talk. I was there for every second of it and the NHL was always about ownership IN OTTAWA and Bettman made that clear.

Melnyck didn’t SAVE the team in Ottawa he just BOUGHT it.

Let’s get these facts straight. The team was never moving and is never moving.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Let’s roll back the Melnyck is a saviour talk. I was there for every second of it and the NHL was always about ownership IN OTTAWA and Bettman made that clear.

Seriously. We've had two teams re-locate (Atlanta/Winnipeg, Quebec/Colorado) in the last 30 years, and this in spite of constant rumours and speculation around the Islanders/Hurricanes/Coyotes. It's all hand-wringing and fear-mongering. The NHL doesn't like moving teams and will actively avoid doing so.

As for the argument that Melnyk "saved the franchise," BFD. Since then, he's done everything in his power to tear the franchise down. I don't believe it comes from a place of malice. Rather, I believe it comes as a combination of ignorance and an attempt to operate a team as a profit, rather than use it like most owners do as a loss leader to write off for capital gains.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yep. Iirc, there were multiple people/groups looking to buy the team & arena. If Melynk wasn't first in the queue, we would've had a different "savior."

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have an issue with so called fans who support the billboards. Melnyk did save this team from moving. I lived through the thought of losing my team, just as Quebec & Winnipeg did.

Many teams go through lean years. What they gonna b**** about if the SENS do get up and move?

It's fine to disagree with how they choose express their passion. Deeming yourself a superior fan because of it though is just a touch pompous. Criticize the billboard idea all you want, but when you call those who support it "so called fans" all you show is ignorance about who the people supporting them really are. In the end, these are people who care about the team both short term and long term, and think that Melnyk does more harm than good, at least how he's currently running things. Perhaps they are right, perhaps they are wrong, and maybe they are disrespecting someone who you feel saved the team from relocation, but the reality is they clearly care deeply about the team, and the arrogance needed to think otherwise is frankly quite off-putting.

In the end, the decision to support the billboards is probably one based almost entirely on an emotional level rather than a rational one, as is the decision to decry the fans that support them rather than the idea itself, so I doubt my little rant will change anybodies mind...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Reasons the team will not move:

1) Melnyk doesn't have the money to pay for a relocation fee
2) Melnyk won't own the arena he will be moving to
3) The league won't let him move the team.

Lets stop talking about this guy as a savior. You know who was a SAVIOR?? Alfie. Why did Alfie leave this organization twice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad