Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
But what do you base your disbelief on?

I've seen no evidence of "bad Blood" that the poster (below ) was referring to, have you?

...which makes this an ownership issue. EK is the type of player you give max term and dollar without even blinking. If they won't do that, it's either because they can't afford it, or they don't understand the value in having a gamebreaking talent.

For the record: I still believe there's bad blood between Melnyk and EK, but I'm sure money plays into it too. I don't think it's an either-or thing.

Has anyone heard of Karlsson complaining about his current contract?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I've seen no evidence of "bad Blood" that the poster (below ) was referring to, have you?

Has anyone heard of Karlsson complaining about his current contract?
You're in denial. Right from 2 of his groomsmans mouths 'Erik will not be back if Melnyk is still the owner'.

Its has nothing to do with his current contract or the one he is going to sign. Its how Melnyk is running the organization and how he treats the people in it. Specifically Alfredsson and all the penny pinching with management, coaching and his teamates/core leadership group.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The fans are 100% capable of forcing Melnyk out .

tenor.gif

Reactions: Back in Black

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Let’s roll back the Melnyck is a saviour talk. I was there for every second of it and the NHL was always about ownership IN OTTAWA and Bettman made that clear.

Melnyck didn’t SAVE the team in Ottawa he just BOUGHT it.

Let’s get these facts straight. The team was never moving and is never moving.

At the time, there was apparently about 10 or so groups interested in bidding on the team, Melnyk and Peltz being the two front runners (once Bryden dropped out), both intending to keep the team in Ottawa. There really wasn't much of a risk at all of the team moving given that the biggests horses in the race had no intention to do so.

Interestingly, at the time, it was reported that the Corel center was raking in 18 mil a year (including, and apparently in large part thanks to, the lease the Sens paid). So next time Melnyk says the team lost 94 mil in 10 years, remember that it's quite possible the arena raked in ~180 mil during that same time frame.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
At the time, there was apparently about 10 or so groups interested in bidding on the team, Melnyk and Peltz being the two front runners (once Bryden dropped out), both intending to keep the team in Ottawa. There really wasn't much of a risk at all of the team moving given that the biggests horses in the race had no intention to do so.

Interestingly, at the time, it was reported that the Corel center was raking in 18 mil a year (including, and apparently in large part thanks to, the lease the Sens paid). So next time Melnyk says the team lost 94 mil in 10 years, remember that it's quite possible the arena raked in ~180 mil during that same time frame.

But you have to remember that the Corel Center/CTC is run as a separate business, as is the NHL Franchise.

The Franchise can lose money, during years that it does not make the playoffs, but the CTC can be make a profit.

They're two separate businesses, owned by the same Owner. Conflating the two businesses to make the NHL franchise appear more profitable than it is, can be misleading.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Then why are you so adamant that it is only tiny fraction of the fanbase that is anti Melnyk? There's not way of knowing right?

We agree, there is no way of knowing, so that's why I suggested something like a ribbon campaign, wear it, if you dislike the Owner ........and see how many of the 1.4 Million in the Ottawa / Gatineau region wear it, or display it in their cars, or something easy to do.

Interesting read. It’s everybody threaten the Senators will leave Ottawa without a new arena week!

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The poster is implying that there is "bad blood" and thinks it has something to do with money.
Nope. I didn't say I believed the bad blood stemmed from money issues. What I said was that I believe there is bad blood. And I believe money plays into the discontent. To clarify, I mean that I believe Melnyk is not interested in giving Karlsson a reasonable contract and would sooner trade him than spend to keep him. And I believe that, as with most tenuous business relationships, the whole situation is complicated by the fact that there's likely a personality conflict.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Didn't a poster predict on here that the media or Senators will try to spin it EXACTLY this way?

They likely became experts from seeing through the countless and frankly entertaining spin jobs that a few of the owners fans have put on here, I admire the stubbornness, laugh at the same tactics used again and again and cry to think a probably adult human being either believes these things or at least takes the time to right them out over and over again.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Another ill-informed guy writing an article. The campaign has already served its purpose because the conversation has started. The unfortunate part is that people are making this about Erik Karlsson, which it is not.

Here is a much more interesting take on the matter from (of all people) Don Brennan:

Brennan: Melnyk could read the signs even before they were displayed on Ottawa streets

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The purpose of the campaign has always been clearly stated, whether it was on Twitter or on the GoFundMe page itself and it is now up on their website. The fact that guys like Steve Warne and others chose to just spew off nonsense without even reading a simple small description of the campaign goal makes their arguments completely irrelevant. For those who continue to ignore the real reasons behind the campaign, I will post it for you:

This campaign is more than just a billboard, it is the beginning of a conversation.
As fans of the Ottawa Senators, we have watched as our team has gone from being one of the most respected in the league, to an ongoing calamity that has become an embarrassment.
Our goal is to start a conversation among fans, media, businesses, and local leadership to help rescue the Ottawa Senators from an owner who has lost the vision or passion to be the caretaker of our beloved hockey team.
This is not about one bad season on the ice. This is about years of alienating the fans, the players, and the community that relies on the Ottawa Senators for so much more than just hockey.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But you have to remember that the Corel Center/CTC is run as a separate business, as is the NHL Franchise.

The Franchise can lose money, during years that it does not make the playoffs, but the CTC can be make a profit.

They're two separate businesses, owned by the same Owner. Conflating the two businesses to make the NHL franchise appear more profitable than it is, can be misleading.

It's also misleading to cry poor on one hand while potentially making tons of money on the other.

This is an older article but still pertinent I think:

If you’ve ever wondered why anyone would want to own a money-losing NHL team in South Florida, Panthers president Michael Yormark puts it this way:

“I often tell people, we’re in the entertainment business and we happen to own a hockey team. For us, it’s just about providing as much entertainment as we possibly can for our community.”

The “we” Yormark refers to is actually the Panthers’ parent company Sunrise Sports & Entertainment (SSE), which owns both the NHL club as well as an entity called Arena Operating Company (AOC), which as you may have guessed, operates the Sunrise arena in which the Panthers play, the BB&T Center.

The Panthers, as a standalone NHL franchise, aren’t profitable, according to estimates.

But AOC is.

Without the Panthers, however, there wouldn’t be an AOC. That’s because, back in the ‘90s, Broward County built the arena to lure the NHL franchise out of Miami. As part of the deal, the team’s ownership company was granted a 30-year license to operate the arena.

The hockey team, in other words, was the foot in the door.

“We’ve got a niche in the marketplace with our hockey team and a very loyal fanbase,” Yormark tells Forbes, “but our value proposition is all about the entertainment. It’s 170-200 events a year, almost two million people in this building on an annual basis, and we have been successful.”

How the Panthers make money despite, er, losing money

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
We agree, there is no way of knowing, so that's why I suggested something like a ribbon campaign, wear it, if you dislike the Owner ........and see how many of the 1.4 Million in the Ottawa / Gatineau region wear it, or display it in their cars, or something easy to do.

First of all, by suggesting this you are mocking the attention legitimate ribbon campaigns try to generate about serious issues like cancer, aids, teen suicide, homophobia, school shootings, etc. Secondly, Nobody likes any of the things I just listed, but you don't see everyone walking around covered in ribbons.

On pink shirt day, did you wear one? If not, does that mean you support bullying? Am I only against bullying on the days I wear a pink shirt? I am for it on days I don't?

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What's funny about the looming Karlsson trade is that I think most Senators' fans would be reasonable to some degree if Dorion came out, said that the team was not going to win in its current incarnation, had to rebuild, and was looking to gain some positive assets in return for its superstar player.

But when it came out that Ryan HAD to be packaged along with Karlsson, the fans rightly were pretty miffed at the idea that the future of its franchise in terms of the return was being compromised due to short-term cost savings.

Steenager

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Just a reminder, from someone who has gone through it, that cities and fans do lose their teams.

These franchises are the playthings of the rich. When it comes down to it, one man and a small club of his rich colleagues will determine what happens to the team you love and live and die with.

I love Ottawa and hope all of this sorts itself out the way you guys want.

Reactions: aragorn

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So there exists no hypothetical scenario where the fans acting in unison could force Melynk out?

What if the entire fanbase decided to not purchase tickets?
How long would Melnyk own the team if all the fans refused to spend a dime on tickets/merchandise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad