Proposal: Mega trade: Price, Galchenyuk for Draisaitl, Talbot, 1st and cap dump

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Oh look, yet another thread where the OP doesn't seem to be aware of the fact that Price has a 10.5M cap hit until he's almost 40. They really should have advertised this signing a little more in the newspaper or maybe on tsn or something. I just assume all these OP's must be unaware of it because that's the only way I can wrap my head around people proposing these trades.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh look, yet another thread where the OP doesn't seem to be aware of the fact that Price has a 10.5M cap hit until he's almost 40. They really should have advertised this signing a little more in the newspaper or maybe on tsn or something. I just assume all these OP's must be unaware of it because that's the only way I can wrap my head around people proposing these trades.

Price is signed from age 31-38 (not 40).

Price's % of cap hit is very similar to Lundqvist's contract that was signed and at very similar ages.

Price has a big contract but don't fool yourself that if he is available (or demands a trade), NHL GM's won't step up. We don't have to be in a hurry to trade him like we did with Roy. If the Habs retain $1.5M and bring the AAV to $9M while absorbing a goalie contract in return, that is a game changer with his trade market value.

While playing with the Habs (player is meh). Once traded (player is awesome). Fight it all you want but the negative propaganda thrown at the Habs direction is ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is how some people think Habs fans are unrealistic and then turn around and try to pretend Price is not worth much.

- Price for Talbot and Drai. We don't even want Talbot but we realize we have to take him due to cap reasons. How does that sound?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

Price's % of cap hit is very similar to Lundqvist's contract that was signed and at very similar ages.

Price has a big contract but don't fool yourself that if he is available (or demands a trade), NHL GM's won't step up. We don't have to be in a hurry to trade him like we did with Roy. If the Habs retain $1.5M and bring the AAV to $9M while absorbing a goalie contract in return, that is a game changer with his trade market value.

While playing with the Habs (player is meh). Once traded (player is awesome). Fight it all you want but the negative propaganda thrown at the Habs direction is ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is how some people think Habs fans are unrealistic and then turn around and try to pretend Price is not worth much.

- Price for Talbot and Drai. We don't even want Talbot but we realize we have to take him due to cap reasons. How does that sound?

That is even worse than OP. Saying you'll take Talbot as a cap dump when you hypothetically just dealt price is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.

Have fun with the weber and price contracts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is even worse than OP. Saying you'll take Talbot as a cap dump when you hypothetically just dealt price is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.

Have fun with the weber and price contracts.

Don't feel good eh. Well that's how our Habs team and players are being treated. It works too ways my friend. Also, I wasn't lying about the comment where we don't want Talbot. We have goaltenders behind Price and Talbot is not an asset we are looking for if we trade Price. Only reason why we take Talbot back is due to cap reasons. You have to realize this. If you think he is so valuable, keep him and try to trade him to another team.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Don't feel good eh. Well that's how our Habs team and players are being treated. It works too ways my friend. Also, I wasn't lying about the comment where we don't want Talbot. We have goaltenders behind Price and Talbot is not an asset we are looking for if we trade Price. Only reason why we take Talbot back is due to cap reasons. You have to realize this. If you think he is so valuable, keep him and try to trade him to another team.
*two

I'm not advocating for any trade and I'm not a true Oiler fan. I don't think anyone is so valuable, Talbot is a goaltender, so by default he isn't worth that much. Talbot isn't the part I have the problem with.

Its the fact that you think price is worth a 22 year old, 6'2", 220 lb, center/wing, strong defensively, that was top 10 in league wide scoring, and has 3rd OA pedigree. Price not only isn't worth one of the most valuable pieces on the Oilers and imo the NHL, it is questionable if he has positive value at all with his contract.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I do enjoy how you've got cap relief going to the Oilers, especially as you've got more salary going to Edmonton vs. leaving :laugh:

Price at 10.5 for 8 years is in no way, shape, or form doable for the Oilers.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
This doesn’t help the Oilers in any way what so ever. You can keep price and his terrible contract.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
To Edmonton:

Carey Price
Alex Galchenyuk
Cap relief

To Montréal:

Leon Draisaitl
Cam Talbot
First round pick

Edmonton gets a great shooting winger, a franchise goalie and some cap relief, things that they sorely need.

Montréal gets its long awaited first line center and generic starting/backup goalie.

Thoughts? What does it lack?

Discuss.

oilers say no for one reason--Price's contract. HE is already 30, starts a 10.5 contract next year and takes him to 38 and all signs are that he is starting to slow down
Also while Alex Galchenyuk is a good a shooter but he is lacking finish much of a time

Price's contract is too long

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Edmonton says no. Other than McDavid, you just took the pieces that aren't the problem. They just need a speedy winger and Sekera back for starters.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leaf fans are worse...:laugh::nod:
No Toronto and Montreal are just hot commodities that people come out of the woodwork to post stuff that we get labelled for. Go to Habs and Leaf Boards. 90% of the user names there that engage in regular hockey talk aren't the ones/user names starting/posting these threads.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No Toronto and Montreal are just hot commodities that people come out of the woodwork to post stuff that we get labelled for. Go to Habs and Leaf Boards. 90% of the user names there that engage in regular hockey talk aren't the ones/user names starting/posting these threads.

They post everyone of their players are substantial assets and they always offer the same garbage individuals with expiring contracts: Bozack, JVR, Komarov, Gardiner and Polak. Insulting when they think everyone on the Boards are stupid. :ha:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Not an easy player to peg as far as value is concerned. Some consider him as one of the game's elite netminders, with the hardware to prove it, while others will counter that his contract is high and long for a guy whose play has not been elite for some time.

Until he's playing at the level of a Vezina finalist again, I really don't think that a Price trade is possible. That contract is just so outrageous that nothing less than performance as a top-five NHL player is going to convince teams to take on the contract. Unless the Habs consider eating considerable salary, that's just too much for a player who has been frankly average at his position for a good year now.

The Canadiens have deep structural problems and few easy solutions to those doldrums. This isn't one of them, due to that lucrative contract and a sustained slump.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

We don't WANT to trade him. That's the point. We don't want to trade Talbot or Drai, let alone both of them for a small positional upgrade - Price and Talbot are much closer in performance than you seem to think.

There's no scenario that exists where Edmonton trades Drai for Price. Talbot is a more than serviceable starter at a manageable cap hit and Drai is the kind of player that every team wants.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I do enjoy how you've got cap relief going to the Oilers, especially as you've got more salary going to Edmonton vs. leaving :laugh:

Price at 10.5 for 8 years is in no way, shape, or form doable for the Oilers.

Yup. Hey Oilers! Get worse, weaker positionally, more expensive both short and long term and kick in a first for the trouble! Lol.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

First off I said almost 40. Last time I checked 38 is almost 40. And no you're not going to get any Edmonton fans agreeing to Drai + Talbot for Price. There's no sense in going back and forth with counter proposals when you have a drastically different view on what Price's contract did to his trade value. There's no starting point in that situation because the value your you're putting on him isn't just something you can add a bit here an there to fix; it's completely upside down compared to how most people view him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad