Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dr Love said:
Anyone read the proposal per TSN?

Contracts: Maximum term of 3 years

Interesting.
Nothing more then an end a round to Guaranteed contracts .. Stars would get 3 years max all other 1 -2 year deals .. That is virtually saying here have you 1 year security and next season you are gone if you perform poorly and we will chose from the 100's of other UFA to fill your job ..

Players have to be able to see through this ??

If it said Mimimum then they might like it more ..

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Levitate said:
remember the "memo" where the league was bashing anything and everything with the players proposal? even in their public rebuttals, they weren't flattering at all

Here's what happened publicly, which is what counts for PR:

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman called one of the aspects of the players' proposal "significant", and said that the two sides will sit down and meet again next Tuesday, at which time the league is expected to present a counter offer.

Bill Daly, the NHL's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, said the league was taking the new offer seriously.

''They made a serious proposal, which I would suggest was the first one in this process,'' he said. ''But it is a serious proposal and certainly they showed a recognition of the economic problems that the game is facing and certainly we're appreciative of that. We now need to work together with them on systemic elements to make sure the economics of the game stay in-synch going forward.''

Hmm, doesn't sound too trashy to me. That was from http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=107451&hubName=

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Nothing more then an end a round to Guaranteed contracts .. Stars would get 3 years max all other 1 -2 year deals .. That is virtually saying here have you 1 year security and next season you are gone if you perform poorly and we will chose from the 100's of other UFA to fill your job ..

Players have to be able to see through this ??

If it said Mimimum then they might like it more ..
Of course they see it, and they have to face it.

The NHL doesn't want to pay slackers.

It's good for the game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TonySCV said:
Let's all pray that there's NO comment from the NHLPA - which would hopefully imply that they are considering it. If they start muttering again that they are still "widely apart", then we can all start thinking about no hockey for a year or two.
NHLPA rejects latest offer

While the two sides continue to meet a source tells Sportsnet the NHL made its proposal today, one that was almost immediately rejected by the Player's Association. Details to follow.

(CP) -- The NHL's labour talks resumed Wednesday morning in the New York area with the smallest group to date and the season hanging in the balance. Despite reports stating the meeting ended after two hours, NHL sources have told Sportsnet the meeting is still ongoing.

Wednesday's session at an undisclosed location began just after 10 a.m. EDT and included only NHL executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly, league outside counsel Bob Batterman, NHL Players' Association senior director Ted Saskin and the union's outside counsel John McCambridge.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050202_115722_4956

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
slats432 said:
I don't know if sportsnet's source is right, but in their article, it says that the offer was immediately rejected.

www.sportsnet.ca

Yeah, but it seems alittle odd that it was rejected immediately yet they have been talking for over 3 hours and counting now, if the reports of the meeting still going on are correct. Maybe they rejected the $42 million cap and are trying to talk that number up.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
actually it's not bad thing that the NHLPA rejected this proposal...considering that they are still meeting

this (could) show that 1.) the NHLPA, while not accepting the proposal, is willing to continue to negotiate and isn't just throwing a hissy fit over a proposal they don't like and 2.) that the NHL is willing to listen to negotiations after their proposal is rejected

basically both sides continuing to talk even after a proposal is rejected is a good thing IMO, about the best we could have hoped for in this situation

pitkanen, as for the trashing of the NHLPA's proposal, i don't have the time to find it right now but there was a lot of stuff that leaked out about how the league was rediculing the players proposals

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Isles72 said:
p.s , the meeting is in new jersey to boot , not NYC

People do know that NYC is about 10 minutes from NJ right? People are laughing at the media for posting NY but its pretty much the same location. Though im not supporting the media.

Last edited:

MissTeeks

Feb 1, 2005
Calgary, AB
Superman33 said:
Yeah, but it seems alittle odd that it was rejected immediately yet they have been talking for over 3 hours and counting now, if the reports of the meeting still going on are correct. Maybe they rejected the $42 million cap and are trying to talk that number up.

I agree, why would they still be talking if they rejected it outright? Unless the meetings really are over. What is the world coming to when you can't trust what sports media outlets say? ;)

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
While the two sides continue to meet a source tells Sportsnet the NHL made its proposal today, one that was almost immediately rejected by the Player's Association. Details to follow.

Key words in bold.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Superman33 said:
I guess the media thought the meeting broke off, when they saw NHLPA Ted Saskin excuse himself to vomit profusely upon seeing the proposal ..

Now that he has returned, it will make the proposal easier to stomach, if its empty ..

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The only hope now is that they are playing the game of "What if?", as said on Leafs Lunch.

"What if we do this?"

What if we take this out and add that?"

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
The Messenger said:
I guess the media thought the meeting broke off, when they saw NHLPA Ted Saskin excuse himself to vomit profusely upon seeing the proposal ..

Now that he has returned, it will make the proposal easier to stomach, if its empty ..

...anyway...

Here's to hoping Saskin can pull a rabbit out of his hat...
:beatup:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I'm guessing the nhlpa rejected the aspects of the proposal that are unreasonable. (no holdouts, age of free agency, etc etc) got on the phone with goodenow and went back into the room with his ideas about what to tweak and what not to tweak. I have a feeling that the news at the end of the day willl be a meeting tommorow between bettman and goodenow.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Son of Steinbrenner said:
I'm guessing the nhlpa rejected the aspects of the proposal that are unreasonable. (no holdouts, age of free agency, etc etc) got on the phone with goodenow and went back into the room with his ideas about what to tweak and what not to tweak. I have a feeling that the news at the end of the day willl be a meeting tommorow between bettman and goodenow.

You seem very optimistic...you havnt been reading Eklunds rumors have u? ;)

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Son of Steinbrenner said:

Very possible. These two must meet face to face at least one more time before the season is officially cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad