Meeting Complete - Goodenow/bettman Joining Talks Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Let's all pray that there's NO comment from the NHLPA - which would hopefully imply that they are considering it. If they start muttering again that they are still "widely apart", then we can all start thinking about no hockey for a year or two.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
In all honesty, I think the union intends to accept this one, based on everything I've heard from various sources more reliable than Elkund.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
PitkanenPower said:
Hmm... I'm having trouble deciding who exactly that favors?
Teams. Contracts can still be renewed every year, or even with a year remaining. It prevents teams from being locked up long term when a player is definately not performing (see John LeClaire). Teams will have a cap in their favor. Players won't be able to get much more somewhere else. Some will leave, even with teams still wanting them, but more will stay with their teams, given that greener pastures are not as readily available......This benefits small market teams IMO.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Chinook said:
In all honesty, I think the union intends to accept this one, based on everything I've heard from various sources more reliable than Elkund.

It's going to accept the cap AND the rollback?!? From reading the proposal on NHL.com, I can't see them accepting that.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
And the pessimists come out of the woodwork to write this off.

Let's think about this guys... why would they have met today?

They have NOTHING to discuss, just the NHL giving them a book and explaining things a bit... what do you expect Saskin to do? Break rank and sign that baby right there on the spot? Hardly. Talks weren't "broken" as the propaganda machine suggests, they were probably "ended" because the big chees of the 'PA isnt present. Anyone could see that coming a mile away and if anyone is surprised.. they must not know how this thing is progressing.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
PitkanenPower said:
Hmm... I'm having trouble deciding who exactly that favors?
It favors the teams, as it prevents them from having albatross contracts. And the players will likely reject it because it limits the money they can make.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Scugs said:
Apparently Ted Saskin has left, and he has the proposal. Im guessing the players are going to review it, take it back for a vote. Thats just MY GUESS.

I'd second that guess. It could be that the discussions over the past five days have been, "let's meet, give us your proposal, and we'll consider whether to vote on it." Today was the meeting at which the proposal was given.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Guys OMG....

Listen to Leafs Lunch right now....

www.mojoradio.com

Bill Watters just said the league sent out an email saying the meeting is NOT over. I repeat, the meeting is NOT over. Click LISTEN LIVE in the top right of the page.

I dont know what all that **** about Saskin leaving was, but apparently this meeting is still going on.

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
Scugs said:
Guys OMG....

www.mojoradio.com

Bill Watters just said the league sent out an email saying the meeting is NOT over. I repeat, the meeting is NOT over. Click LISTEN LIVE in the top right of the page.

I dont know what all that **** about Saskin leaving was, but apparently this meeting is still going on.

and that there is why people HAVE to stop jumping on every tidbit of info the media throw at you.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Scugs said:
Guys OMG....

www.mojoradio.com

lmao , that was hilarious .

watters cell phone rings , burkie yappin away , watters slaps the headphones back on and says ''the meeting is still on ''

p.s , the meeting is in new jersey to boot , not NYC

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think we should just all hold out hope that the PA doesn't start publicly trashing the proposal within the next hour, or so.

like the league did with the NHLPA's proposal? that seriously pissed me off when they did that...it was downright absurd to redicule the players and the proposal the way they did. if they didn't like it, fine, but there was no need to insult the players the way they did...just showed me at the time the league wasn't serious about negotiating and was way more concerned with PR

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
A Salary Cap with whats the UFA age, 30? Give me a break. I believe a UFA that high with a hard cap is also "unprecedented in sports history." I dont see this deal being signed not now not ever. Also another question, the NHL says the NHLPA can offer a tax between 32-42 million, WHY would the NHLPA offer up a luxury tax between that if theres already a hard cap? Why would the NHLPA want a luxury tax on top of a hard cap, the luxury tax is suppose to be the alternative to a hard cap, not within one.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
ChiHawks468 said:
...and you are?

No worries - you've never heard of me.

shakes said:
It's going to accept the cap AND the rollback?!? From reading the proposal on NHL.com, I can't see them accepting that.

I'm sure they won't accept it outright, but there won't be a lot more negotiation before we know whether or not there will be a season. Again, it's just my opinion, but based on all the different things that we've heard over the past three weeks, I'd be extremely surprised if the season is canceled.

Scugs said:
Guys OMG....

www.mojoradio.com

It's hard to believe that the league would send such an email, but I'm not complaining. :)

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Levitate said:
like the league did with the NHLPA's proposal? that seriously pissed me off when they did that...it was downright absurd to redicule the players and the proposal the way they did. if they didn't like it, fine, but there was no need to insult the players the way they did...just showed me at the time the league wasn't serious about negotiating and was way more concerned with PR

When did this happen? When the League received the only PA proposal to date, they announced their intentions for a counter proposal. They did not formally "reject" the PA proposal until their meeting a week later. When the Players received the first League proposal, they rejected it after an hour of deliberation.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
westcoast said:
Maybe just that the initial reports were so inaccurate they even got the location wrong?
Maybe.

By the way is Lou involved in these meeting's, since they are just 15 minutes from his office.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
A Salary Cap with whats the UFA age, 30? Give me a break. I believe a UFA that high with a hard cap is also "unprecedented in sports history." I dont see this deal being signed not now not ever. Also another question, the NHL says the NHLPA can offer a tax between 32-42 million, WHY would the NHLPA offer up a luxury tax between that if theres already a hard cap? Why would the NHLPA want a luxury tax on top of a hard cap, the luxury tax is suppose to be the alternative to a hard cap, not within one.

I wondered about the purpose of this too but the boys on leafs lunch were saying that its a way to ''sting'' the owners into putting money into a pot which has to be spent on salaries

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
When did this happen? When the League received the only PA proposal to date, they announced their intentions for a counter proposal. They did not formally "reject" the PA proposal until their meeting a week later. When the Players received the first League proposal, they rejected it after an hour of deliberation.

remember the "memo" where the league was bashing anything and everything with the players proposal? even in their public rebuttals, they weren't flattering at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad