Blue Jays Discussion: Meaningful Baseball Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What would happen if there is a 3 way tie for first place in the AL East at the end of the season? What are the tie breaking procedures in that scenario? It can actually happen.

They play a 3 way game.

Each team has 6 innings, 3 against each other team, and the team who scores the most runs, wins.

:)

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Gibby can't win. If he went with say Cecil to save Osuna and he gets into trouble/blows it those same fans would be cursing Gibby for not using him 'cause we NEEDED that win. That's why Osuna was used. That win was needed.

Like I said in the GDT. He was already warmed up and had not pitched since Monday. Might as well use him at that point. When he got up to warm up it was still a save situation. If the Jays kept the inning going longer I could have seen them sit Osuna and go with Cecil.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
w768xh576_goins.jpg

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
That, and the probability of Dickey sucking balls tomorrow and not needing Osuna, makes me believe he made the right choice

Yeah, that's it. They don't care about Osuna because they expect to lose tonight anyway since Dickey is so awful, and they're going up against the Angels ace Jered Weaver.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yes, have Martin catch him.

no more thole. we cannot afford it.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Nope. If he had caught him at all this year, maybe

I guess it depends if they expect him to pitch in the playoffs at all. If for any reason they think they might need him, I would like to see Martin catch him a couple times to end the season and get back up to speed, just to make sure Thole is nowhere near the playoff roster.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I guess it depends if they expect him to pitch in the playoffs at all. If for any reason they think they might need him, I would like to see Martin catch him a couple times to end the season and get back up to speed, just to make sure Thole is nowhere near the playoff roster.

I don't see Dickey being on the playoff roster.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Yeah, that's it. They don't care about Osuna because they expect to lose tonight anyway since Dickey is so awful, and they're going up against the Angels ace Jered Weaver.

Weaver is having a terrible season. Pitching is pretty much a wash tonight. With the hitters on both sides, it should be a fairly high scoring game.

Last edited:

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Whats the future for osuna? Does he project to be a starter as early as next year and make the transition Sanchez did this off season? To me he relies too much on his fastball, he will need to develop some other pitches to go with it if he wants to try an go six innings

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

This is like a playoff game, for all intents and purposes. It's tough. I would play Martin. We need to play the best guys. But at the same time, Martin won't play in allremaining 16 games either. But going with your 3rd string catcher in a big game is tough

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't see Dickey being on the playoff roster.

Ideally, I don't either. But injuries can change that. I don't imagine there's too much harm in having Martin catch him a couple times. I've always been under the impression the big issue for Martin was having to catch him every fifth day for an extended period.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Whats the future for osuna? Does he project to be a starter as early as next year and make the transition Sanchez did this off season? To me he relies too much on his fastball, he will need to develop some other pitches to go with it if he wants to try an go six innings

Sanchez didn't transition last offseason..? He was a starter who kept getting moved to the BP. Osuna has always been a reliever in the bigs and wants to remain a closer. If we move him to start it will take a few years due to an IP limit he will have.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Thole will start the game catching Dickey. Once Dickey is out of the game, in goes Martin, unless its a blowout. But Gibbons is making these calls after all, so who knows.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No more rest days for any of the key players, imo. 2 weeks left in the season. No time for rest.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
No more rest days for any of the key players, imo. 2 weeks left in the season. No time for rest.

While I generally support a semi-regular rest schedule, I tend to agree, especially with the day off on Thursday.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yup, let the horses run.

Optimal to have Martin to DH and Donaldson play 3B tonight though - not like Thole is any worse than Barney at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad