Dreger: McKenzie Weegar trade target for Ottawa Senators but Florida still trying to extend him

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
To Ottawa: Weegar
To Edmonton: C.Brown
To Florida: Chychrun
To Arizona
: Puljujarvi, EDM 2nd, FLA 2nd, Zaitsev*, OTT 2nd, and Brannstrom/Jarventie

*Ottawa potentially retains on Zaitsev as well

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He's from Ottawa and apparently close friends with Giroux. Maybe the trade hinges on the Sens and Weegar agreeing on an extension before the trade is made.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
To Arizona

Feel like it favours Edmonton and Ottawa - get rid of 4.5M x 2 years, major piece going is C.Brown which we don't have room for in spite him being A1, and Brannstrom/Jarventie are being passed on depth chart/B prospects.
Edmonton gets their piece for relatively low cost.

Arizona gets NO 1st for Chychrun. Gets the equiv of like, 4 second round picks for a top pairing D signed long term, albeit injury prone and not meeting contract expectations.
Florida gets said defensemen, don't have to deal with an unsigned Weegar.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
To Arizona

Bones Arizona. I'd imagine it could be something like this:

Weegar (presumably re-signed) for 1st next year (now expected middle of the pack)+Brannstrom+return for Brown (2nd?)

Florida sends 1st+Brannstrom+Samsko (our best prospect)+return for Brown for JC.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Bones Arizona. I'd imagine it could be something like this:

Weegar (presumably re-signed) for 1st next year (now expected middle of the pack)+Brannstrom+return for Brown (2nd?)

Florida sends 1st+Brannstrom+Samsko (our best prospect)+return for Brown for JC.
That's a lot of value to attach to a 28 y/o d-man about to hit UFA. That package seems more like what would be paid for Chycrun imo.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Batherson or Formenton needs to be in a deal for Weegar.
WTF. You cannot have Batherson and his amazing contract for 1 year of Weegar. The fact that you put him on the same tier as Forms, who you also can not have, is crazy. Bath is a legit top 6 (soon to be proven top line) winger at amazing value.

Go to the box and feel the shame.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
That's a lot of value to attach to a 28 y/o d-man about to hit UFA. That package seems more like what would be paid for Chycrun imo.
Right handed D are typically valued more than left handed D and the assumption is re signing. I agree though it's a heavy signing, but also based on the interest that Ottawa has shown.

Chychun ask is 3-4 first round assets imo. If a 2nd, 1st and a 1st prospect was enough, Florida would have pulled it last season.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Right handed D are typically valued more than left handed D and the assumption is re signing. I agree though it's a heavy signing, but also based on the interest that Ottawa has shown.

Chychun ask is 3-4 first round assets imo. If a 2nd, 1st and a 1st prospect was enough, Florida would have pulled it last season.
Which again I find interesting - Chychrun's numbers look incredibly poor. Yeah he's on Arizona, but I'd be pretty skeptical that he's going to assume a top 2 role on a team looking to contend.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Which again I find interesting - Chychrun's numbers look incredibly poor. Yeah he's on Arizona, but I'd be pretty skeptical that he's going to assume a top 2 role on a team looking to contend.
Eh, great contract+being on a terrible team. For Ds that play a lot, much of their numbers are the team: FLorida saw it both ways with Chiarot (worse for us) and Montour (great for us).

I do wonder what the trade ends up. My sense is that Ottawa wants a RhD and seems to like the home town element?

Reactions: Sting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad