Dreger: McKenzie Weegar trade target for Ottawa Senators but Florida still trying to extend him

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Pretty much, but Weegar isn't going to sign next year for what someone like Manson does this year. Isn't that the entire premise of his availability? Cash him out now before you can't afford him kinda thing?
The premise of the trade is Ottawa is pushing and Florida wants to re sign next year when Hornqvist is off the books and the Yandle cap penalty is down 5M. It’s not a penny on the dollar sort of thing

Edit: I initially thought the idea was keep Giroux over Weegar but that looks unlikely

Reactions: KevinRedkey

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
People have to realise weager is on a 1 yr deal, no one trades a haul for someone on a 1 yr deal. I could see a trade around C brown and a 2nd. I dont think either team should expect more then that.
Also a top 4 D on a cup contending team. They don't tend to sell their main roster players.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
They literally have 5.125 in dead cap and buyouts as we speak. lol

Is Hornqvist LTIR or something? I was under the impression he was just overpaid but still a bottom 6 forward on the decline.

In 1yr
The buyouts either saved them money this year or were done before his passing not cost them money and the dead cap retention on Murray saved them 1 million while gaining them a better goalie at a better AAV , They are shedding dead weight not adding it , nice math skills tho .
Hornqvist is a worse contract than Zaitsev , 5.3M actual salary with a 5.3M AAV for a 28 point 35year old winger .

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Now this could be interesting. A better fit for Florida in terms of handedness and cap
It’s tough to make it work but would require 2 good pieces going to Florida assuming Weegar is re signed and Florida talcing on another good piece

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The buyouts either saved them money this year or were done before his passing not cost them money and the dead cap retention on Murray saved them 1 million while gaining them a better goalie at a better AAV , They are shedding dead weight not adding it , nice math skills tho .
Hornqvist is a worse contract than Zaitsev , 5.3M actual salary with a 5.3M AAV for a 28 point 35year old winger .

Fair point. Didn't think he was THAT bad I guess.

Zaitsev is worse for his 2nd year IMO though. If it were 1yr I'd agree but that 2023-24 year really stinks. I would do Zaitsev for Hornqvist in a heartbeat for example.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Fair point. Didn't think he was THAT bad I guess.

Zaitsev is worse for his 2nd year IMO though. If it were 1yr I'd agree but that 2023-24 year really stinks. I would do Zaitsev for Hornqvist in a heartbeat for example.
You won't suck me into arguing on behalf of Zaitsev lol ! I did offer him up for on the Habs board for 3 bags of pucks and 60 lbs of premium poutine after all .
Both deals are not what Ottawa is doing now , I would have suggested they target Manson instead of Weeger but the Avs just signed him so he's off the market now .

Reactions: KevinRedkey

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
I'd prefer the Sens go all in on Chychrun and see if they can sign Weegar next off-season without having to give up premium assets. If this were the plan the D next year could look like:

Chabot-Zub
Chychrun-Hamonic
Sanderson-Holden

The year after

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Weegar
xxx-xxx

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Attachments

• FXKcOF1XEAE8TFS.png