TSN: McKenzie :If Habs take a center it's no longer an off the board pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
will
I don't think it means that at all.

Kotkaniemi said he plans to come over to NA in a year after one more season with Assat. He put up similar D-year numbers to Rantanen, actually producing one more point. He's no slouch and he's not some low potential pick like some make him out to be. Stop looking at "trends" and look at the actual player in question.

Rantanen wasn't ranked 5th by Tsn

The simple fact Habs are talking about Kota pick at 3..when TSN has him ranked 5th..your playing with bust fire..history shows it .

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So for all you Kotaneimi guys out there and happy he is now at number 5 overall.....and that means he is no "offboard pick"....ok..

Show me the high impact guy from those final TSN rankings at number 5..

Dal Colle and Strome no NHL impact bust land...Lindholm is a 40 pt center after 5 years......

Now that shows you ,if ya want to stretch and take Kota at 5..well go ahead...

I feel bad for you if this is how you go about life comparing draft picks and players and whatnot.......

its like you think there's actually something TO each player picked at every spot in every draft? its weird you would think like this .. the way you think, all 1st overall picks should be the same player same production, all the 2nd overall picks should be the same type player same type production...

who thinks like this

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
MDC isn't. Elias Lindholm was, isn't anymore. The other three are.

But also, to say those are busts is kinda funny. MDC is the only bust of the bunch.

True, I guess Lindholm has a beena disappointment. Like Galchenyuk kinda...

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Is he as skilled as Barkov with the puck ?

He plays a very efficient game with the puck I find. He makes quick decisions and unexpected passes, but he controls the puck well too and plays a very well rounded game like Barkov.... but Barkov is an absolute beast... I'm not sure it's a fair comparison

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
will

The simple fact Habs are talking about Kota pick at 3..when TSN has him ranked 5th..your playing with bust fire..history shows it .

but .. pierre luc dubois was ranked 5 and went 3 ..and he is everything we wish we had.. too bad columbus didnt know what they were doing and went "off the board" slightly to nab him earlier than ranked.......

in case you havent caught on to what im trying to say, nabbing kotka before someone else does where he is ranked isnt the worst thing that you can do bud..... ESPECIALLY when ranked spots 3 to 10 are as tight as they are, even kotka ranked at 10 and grabbing him at 3 didnt seem absolutely CRAZY a month ago, now hes ranked 5 and might go 3 and its VERY plausible to everyone involved that it could happen

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
This makes no sense. Elaborate. That's a fantastic core, especially if you develop Galchenyuk properly. It's not the core that failed. It's the supporting cast and the GM.

What if, just what if, Galchenyuk himself was partially to blame for his own lack of development?

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
He plays a very efficient game with the puck I find. He makes quick decisions and unexpected passes, but he controls the puck well too and plays a very well rounded game like Barkov.... but Barkov is an absolute beast... I'm not sure it's a fair comparison

No. Barkov is probably a top 5 puck handler in the entire world. Jesperi has very good puck skills, though.

What really separates the two is skating. But really, Kotkaniemi overall is a tier or two below Barky in most areas.

Thank you guys for your quick answers !

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I used to work with Grant on some things years ago, he's very connected so either he put that out on his own and the Habs weren't as interested in Kotkaniemi or it came from a close source as he usually knows who the Habs like. Granted I've been out of touch with him for the past few years so I don't know if anything has changed, just going off what I now from the past.

He's likely still close to Timmins, who frequents the Ottawa valley as both live here. No better source on prospects than the main one.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I feel bad for you if this is how you go about life comparing draft picks and players and whatnot.......

its like you think there's actually something TO each player picked at every spot in every draft? its weird you would think like this .. the way you think, all 1st overall picks should be the same player same production, all the 2nd overall picks should be the same type player same type production...

who thinks like this

well TSN has Sean Couturier at 5th overall in the final draft rankings 2011...he went 8th..until last year when he broke out at 25 years old...he was in the 30 pt a year category

Tsn had Cam Fowler at 5th in 2010 - he went 12th

Show me the real gems from the final TSN draft rankings at 5th?????? from 2009 to 2017

Kota ranked at 5th by Tsn...BUYER BEWARE....

Last edited:
Reactions: shutehinside

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Kotkaniemi overall is a tier or two below Barky in most areas.

there is no problem taking Kotkaniemi at 3OV.....

where there IS a problem, is expecting Kotkaniemi to be (or turn into) a franchise #1C because that he is not, and will never be.....

so im hoping that is not the plan....but with MB you never know,

Kotkaniemi will be a 2nd center at best....lars eller 2.0

my fear is they take Kotkaniemi and play him at #1C for years regardless of his production kind of like DD....hoping he will turn into a matthews or crosby....just so MB can think and say to the fans that he got us a #1C

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
will

You're saying Bergevin needs to avoid a jinx? I've got better advice than that for him. :laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

where there IS a problem, is expecting Kotkaniemi to be (or turn into) a franchise #1C because that he is not, and will never be.....

my fear is the take Kotkaniemi and play him at #1C for years regardless of his production kind of like DD....just so MB can think and say to the fans that he got us a #1C
To say he won't be a franchise #1C is misleading, he definitely could be, it's just not likely. A high end 2C or low end 1C is a realistic expectation. If he was the next Lars Eller, picking him third would be a huge problem.

Reactions: Andrei79

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006

my fear is they take Kotkaniemi and play him at #1C for years regardless of his production kind of like DD....hoping he will turn into a matthews or crosby....just so MB can think and say to the fans that he got us a #1C

You seem well informed. Tell us why you think he doesn't have the tools to be #1C?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
it's way safer to take Brady T than the TSN 5th ranked player.....I never seen anybody ranked 5th by TSN in last 10 years become a franchise turn around type of guy..or star ..so again....dodge the 5th Kota...

I dont want to be here 6 years from now saying what???

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
it's way safer to take Brady T than the TSN 5th ranked player.....I never seen anybody ranked 5th by TSN in last 10 years become a franchise turn around type of guy..or star ..so again....dodge the 5th Kota...

So your argument is we can't take Kotkaniemi because TSN 5th ranked prospect has sucked over the past years?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
So your argument is we can't take Kotkaniemi because TSN 5th ranked prospect has sucked over the past years?

It's simple...

If i handed you a sheet and told you to pick the 5th player on the TSN final draft list every year...YES WRONG MOVES..if you had any hope of landing a turn around type player.

Kota at 5th now on TSN final rank??/ run don't walk...

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012

This guys got a point. Why do teams even bother scouting anymore? Just go off of the tsn rankings and compare it to years past! Fool proof:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad