TSN: McKenzie :If Habs take a center it's no longer an off the board pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
This way Bergevin will say he finally got his #1 Centre and tbat we all have to be patient
Why the f*** is Bergevin still employed

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
all these scouts are messing with the Habs head.....

lol...

Will look back on it in 5 year time.....if we get Lars Eller(Kotkaniemi. ) , i wouldn't be surprised...but these management guys will be long gone so...

i guess we can always play him on wing if Center doesn't work out...

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
all these scouts are messing with the Habs head.....

lol...

Will look back on it in 5 year time.....if we get Lars Eller , i woundn't be surprised...but these management guys will be long gone so

Yes because Bob's list is going to dramatically alter the course of action they set when they finished compiling their list after the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
McKenzie has no logic here. Zadina is the consensus 3rd. There's no debate to be had.

No logic? You think he just magically decided Kotkaniemi is not a reach at 3? And yes there's a debate. Just because someone is listed as consensus doesn't mean the team selecting thinks so. I do hope there is sarcasm here, though.

Reactions: donghabs98

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just to be clear, it’s not only the Habs but the NHL scouts who value centers and D higher than wingers. At least the one Bob talked to.

In more than one resource.. scouts have been told that they will not trade up for anything but C's and D's.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
All this talk about center / winger or BPA, but I'm wondering if the Habs will pick a defenseman. Apparently, lots of potentially top pairing Ds in this draft, and Habs need LHD like a readheaded needs sunscreen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All this talk about center / winger or BPA, but I'm wondering if the Habs will pick a defenseman. Apparently, lots of potentially top pairing Ds in this draft, and Habs need LHD like a readheaded needs sunscreen.

I'm not taking Hughes with the 3rd pick. But I would trade down to get Sandin in the 20th range (+/-). I agree big time that we need help on LD. It would be very disappointing not finding a LD with upside in the 1st two rounds.

3rd pick: Zadina, Kotkaniemi, or Dobson. It will be one of those 3 IMO. Those are the BPA at 3rd when Dalhin and Svechnikov are gone. I think Wahlstrom is in the mix as well but he is more in the next tier with Boqvist, Tkachuk, Hughes, Bouchard.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just to be clear, it’s not only the Habs but the NHL scouts who value centers and D higher than wingers. At least the one Bob talked to.

Centers with size/skill too. Kotkaniemi skating is good and the thing I like the most? His goal scoring/play making ability.

We are not getting a potential #1C unless we draft one. A quote from Bergevin himself.

Reactions: NekkiChiconey

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
It will be Dobson or Kotkaniemi.

That's pretty much the impression Bob gave in the podcast.
He announced Dobson will be the 2nd ranked D on monday's list and lots of movement of scouts putting Kotkaniemi in their top 5 and Zadina outside their top 5

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
If Kotkaniemi can play anything like Saku I'll take him 3rd overall 10/10!!!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
All smokescreen and trying to appease those who don't follow the draft. I don't think it's wise to pass over BPA for need.

For all we know, according to Habs' scouting, the one they believe is BPA fits the need, as well. Habs have made it clear at the combine, both Bergevin and Timmins mentioned that they're not looking for BPA right now, but the one they project to be the BPA for their team down the road.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

davey999

Mar 9, 2004
Total overthinking at this point. Zadina should be the pick - but I guess it won't at this point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All smokescreen and trying to appease those who don't follow the draft. I don't think it's wise to pass over BPA for need.

BPA according to who? A prospect rankings that are months old? How do you explain the Blue Jackets taking PLD and passing over Puljujarvi who was the general consensus at 3rd in 2016?

Reactions: OB5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad