TSN: McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
this is bad news for the Leafs, the only reason not to sign for these 2 would be so that they can increase there value and get paid more, therefore any chance of a discount is pretty much gone assuming they go the route of not signing this summer, tho imo Matthews doesn't have a whole lot to gain by not signing. we know he's a PPG play for the next 8 years and the Leafs management would pay him accordingly, it's Marner's value that could skyrocket with a great season.

Why would they take a discount?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
My reply that you quoted had nothing to do with the threat of an offer sheet for Marner. It was more an example how we saw Nylander not sign his extension last summer and his play this season might have cost him some money. So I think Marner's taking the same risk if he chooses to not sign right away when he's allowed.
Sorry was only trying to Quote mess.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Everything you hear in the summer is pure crap. All negotiation tactics , some work, some don't.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Everything you hear in the summer is pure crap. All negotiation tactics , some work, some don't.
Like I said before we should all remember Bob McKenzie said it's a feeling he has that Matthews and Marner want to wait until next summer to sign their new contracts. He didn't say his sources are telling him this. Usually among NHL Insiders he is the best in the business, however for all we know this time he could be wrong if we are to trust his feeling.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don’t blame Matthews... he had a good year but with injuries and Babcock sheltering him/underplaying him in comparison to comparable level players, signing now would be selling yourself short.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'd be pushing harder to sign Marner this off season. Matthews is getting paid regardless, whether this year or next. Marner to me is a near can't miss burgeoning star, his heart and commitment are elite as well as his skill set, sign the kid up before he inevitably adds 15 pounds of muscle and becomes unstoppable and we may pay even more.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Would love to get them done now. I don't think people understand how good these two will be (and even more so if they get to play on the same line). They have 100 point potential. Better to lock them down earlier before they put up top 10 player seasons and command way higher salaries.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Well, I don't have any insider information but if I were any NHL player being offered an 8 year deal that is anywhere around what I think I'm worth, I sign that because you're potentially one hit away from not getting that huge chunk of change.

I don't believe either Matthews or Marner will risk not being locked into a $60-$100 million plus contract the moment they have the opportunity and the Leafs would be foolish to try and bridge either guy.

I think Bobby Mac is wrong on this one.

It's just too risky for the player IMO.

Would you turn down say $80 million guaranteed, so that you can make only $3 million next year, because you think you can get $90 million if you have an even better season, but if something happens and your career is suddenly halted, you're SOL?

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

horner

May 22, 2007
Matthews will not be getting $5mil more than Marner.

Marner would get more than 7mil signing today IMO. Last half of the season, he was on pace for >90 points. This is > Pastrnak territory we're talking about.

People here try to put Nylander and Marner in the same category, but its clear that our 'big 3' are on different tiers.

The difference between Matthews and Marner is probably less than the difference between Marner and Nylander.
I agree

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
fair or not, i think after the "crap" year he had by his stands, Matthews would want to have two really great years vs 1 and 1

They both had pretty good years, Matty had a pretty serious back injury and was still able to score 34 in 62 games, that is 45 goals over a full season, by anyone's standard that is pretty good.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Marner is the most likely not to sign this year as he would be looking at a lot more money next year. Mathews ceiling is likely only a milllion more then he would get this year.

Marner is really not that far off of Mathews so let’s hope we get him signed this season before he proves it to the whole world.

If you asked 31 GM's, you could pick one guy to build your team around Matthews or Marner, which one do you pick? 31 out of 31 GM's would pick Matthews.... Matthews is a considerably better player.

1st line Franchise goal scoring center or 1st line setup winger, anyone with a shred of hockey knowledge would know that the goal scoring center is the guy you pick 100 out of 100 times.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you asked 31 GM's, you could pick one guy to build your team around Matthews or Marner, which one do you pick? 31 out of 31 GM's would pick Matthews.... Matthews is a considerably better player.

1st line Franchise goal scoring center or 1st line setup winger, anyone with a shred of hockey knowledge would know that the goal scoring center is the guy you pick 100 out of 100 times.

Agreed, unless the person you asked was Mark Hunter, then it would be 99 out of 100 times. ;)

A PPG Centre >> playmaking Winger

I believe Leafs are thinking Matthews @ +$10 mil a year and Marner @ ~ $7 mil.

Marner outscored Matthews 69 to 63 points, but Matthews missed 20 games to injury.

Matthews was also a +25 +/- at Es 5v5 while Marner was a -1 so defensively there is no comparison when you compare goals for and against when the players are on the ice.

It would be in Leafs best interest to try and get both signed this summer, because if it ever happened that Matthews and Marner played together their point totals would rise significantly and it would cost the Leafs significant Cap space.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I can see Matthews signing this summer. He will get roughly the same this summer or next. I doubt there'd be even a $1M difference either way. Unless he goes crazy and wins a Hart or something.

Marner on the other hand should probably wait. He may not get $7M this summer and if that's the offer, for sure he turns it down.
He may very well put up 80+ points this season and then it really ups the cost.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I think Matthews actually would be much smarter to sign now, with his injury this year. if he misses significant time next year it could affect his value, and even if healthy if he only puts up a 70-75 point season I could see him not getting into the double digits. like if he was healthy and played all 82 games and got 71 points would you still be comfortable giving him 11 million per like we feel confident in today? I probably wouldn't. vs if he puts up 95 points would you go higher then 11 like we feel good with today? don't think so. so there's such a small reward for him to not sign, with a bigger risk invovled.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I can see Matthews signing this summer. He will get roughly the same this summer or next. I doubt there'd be even a $1M difference either way. Unless he goes crazy and wins a Hart or something.

Marner on the other hand should probably wait. He may not get $7M this summer and if that's the offer, for sure he turns it down.
He may very well put up 80+ points this season and then it really ups the cost.
If the deal is 8 years, he gets higher than 7MM. Why would he sign effectively a Patrnak contract for 2 years longer than Pastrnak did?

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I think Matthews actually would be much smarter to sign now, with his injury this year. if he misses significant time next year it could affect his value, and even if healthy if he only puts up a 70-75 point season I could see him not getting into the double digits. like if he was healthy and played all 82 games and got 71 points would you still be comfortable giving him 11 million per like we feel confident in today? I probably wouldn't. vs if he puts up 95 points would you go higher then 11 like we feel good with today? don't think so. so there's such a small reward for him to not sign, with a bigger risk invovled.
This guy gets it .Back injuries are tricky , most never really heal and will get worse over time . Whats he worth if goes down in November / December and ends up only playing 30 games ?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Both players have yet to top 70 points in a season, so the bargaining advantage should be in managements position currently in terms of proof of prodiction.

If they wait and prove they're PPG or better players then that advantage in contract talks switches to the players.

If either player had put up 80-85 points in their rookie or 2nd seasons then we would be talking considerably more $$$ right now.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Seems the smart move would be for Matthews and Marner not to haggle over $1-2 million yearly, just take the guaranteed $50 for Marner and $70 for Matthews over 8 years and securing your future, and not have to worry about blowing your knee next year and getting NOTHING.

Also seems like the TSN media clowns really want the Leafs to mess up their cap situation by suggesting Marner should make Matthews-money. Why not Matthews making Marner-money? Why round up all the time? Lol clowns.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Both players have yet to top 70 points in a season, so the bargaining advantage should be in managements position currently in terms of proof of prodiction.

If they wait and prove they're PPG or better players then that advantage in contract talks switches to the players.

If either player had put up 80-85 points in their rookie or 2nd seasons then we would be talking considerably more $$$ right now.

It's too late when it comes to Matthews, he's going to get paid.

2016-17 82gp 69p .84ppg
2017-18 62gp 63p 1.02ppg (Pretty sure that's a point per game right?... :) )

Marner is the only question mark to see just how high he can go next season.

So you're expecting Barzal to get McDavid money I'm guessing?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's too late when it comes to Matthews, he's going to get paid.

2016-17 82gp 69p .84ppg
2017-18 62gp 63p 1.02ppg (Pretty sure that's a point per game right?... :) )

Marner is the only question mark to see just how high he can go next season.

So you're expecting Barzal to get McDavid money I'm guessing?

Contracts are all about player comparables.

I say Matthews is pretty close to Eichel as his best comparable and << McDavid.

Marner is a little harder to find a good comparable for of a 60-70 point winger after 2 seasons as that would be the lite version of Patrick Kane. Mitch might be closer to the David Pastrnak range of production by age comparison at present who got $6.67 mil per.

Mikko Rantanen drafted a few spots after Marner put up 81 games 29 goals 55 assists 84 points last year compared to Marner's 22 goals and 69 points and both ELC end after this upcoming year. Rantanen has the stats now to warrant that Draisaitl $8.5 mil type deal if he would sign his extension. That might be the deal Marner would like but statistically hasn't achieved it yet so waiting to next year to see if he can put up a PPG makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad