TSN: McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My point is Matthews and Marner can sign their extensions in June 2019 which prevents them from getting RFA status and the threat of an offer sheet.

Why would they sign in June 2019 unless their getting what they want?

Wait a few more weeks and use offersheet potential to their financial advantage to maximize earning potential.

It be similar to John Tavares resigning with NYI now in June and not hitting UFA status or waiting a few more weeks and see what the offers are.

You waited this long so why not wait a few weeks more, ditto would apply the Mitch and Auston except they would be RFA and not UFAs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If Matthews wants to wait a year he can enjoy playing with Hyman again.

Kids have the best upcoming team, but are greedy. Don't know what they got till it's gone...

LOL'd IRL.
:laugh::laugh:

Marner is the most likely not to sign this year as he would be looking at a lot more money next year. Mathews ceiling is likely only a milllion more then he would get this year.

Marner is really not that far off of Mathews so let’s hope we get him signed this season before he proves it to the whole world.

This sounds about right. Then again, I have a feeling money isn't the most important thing for Marner and for that reason, he might be willing to sign now even if costs him some millions. Kid bleeds Maple Leaf blue and wants to win bad!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Wait a few more weeks and use offersheet potential to their financial advantage to maximize earning potential.

It be similar to John Tavares resigning with NYI now in June and not hitting UFA status or waiting a few more weeks and see what the offers are.

You waited this long so why not wait a few weeks more, ditto would apply the Mitch and Auston except they would be RFA and not UFAs.
When McKenzie said they could wait until next summer to sign, he never said that would be after July 1, 2019 when they are RFA's. Next summer could be in June 2019 after the season when they might have both had amazing seasons and the Leafs pay them what they are worth.

You can not compare Tavares because as you said he could become a UFA and it's a lot different than a player who is going to be an RFA.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Marner is the most likely not to sign this year as he would be looking at a lot more money next year. Mathews ceiling is likely only a milllion more then he would get this year.

Marner is really not that far off of Mathews so let’s hope we get him signed this season before he proves it to the whole world.
also year 3 ....marner will be getting pounded from day 1 ...hes taking a chance he doesn't get concussed ,,,,a small player is taking a chance every time he waits for a new contract
good luck hope it works out ...concussions are the biggest red flag in contact sports today ,probally more so than knee or even tommy john surgery

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’d liked them all signed so Babs will actually play them together on the PP and let them explode offensively.

I jest but there’s a part of me that believes that playing Hyman with Matthews no matter what is a ploy by the coach to limit Matthews from becoming a bigger star than him. Sounds silly but whatever

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The leafs could pay all of the big 3 max money and wouldn’t blink, if there were no cap.

As it is these guys have to ultimately decide if they take a bit of a haircut so management can pay for a good supporting cast, or if they only care about their own bank account and be damned with the rest of the team.

Look at Kadri and Reilly... they signed very reasonable and modest deals in order to be team players and have other good players available to sign.

If Matthews and Marner both want 11+ we may as well get used to those two and a revolving door of role players, because there’s not gonna be a whole hell of a lot of money left over for 21 other guys

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
also year 3 ....marner will be getting pounded from day 1 ...hes taking a chance he doesn't get concussed ,,,,a small player is taking a chance every time he waits for a new contract
good luck hope it works out ...concussions are the biggest red flag in contact sports today ,probally more so than knee or even tommy john surgery

That's a good point. I don't think it's any more relevant for Marner than any other player (at least I don't know that smaller player are more likely to get concussed) but it's a very important consideration for any player. Sign now for tens of millions of dollars ... or don't sign, and risk missing out on tens of millions of dollars.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When McKenzie said they could wait until next summer to sign, he never said that would be after July 1, 2019 when they are RFA's. Next summer could be in June 2019 after the season when they might have both had amazing seasons and the Leafs pay them what they are worth.

You can not compare Tavares because as you said he could become a UFA and it's a lot different than a player who is going to be an RFA.

Yup an offersheet is only a factor if contracts are not going well and there is a stalemate situation in contract talks or the sides are far apart.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It makes a lot more sense for Marner to hold out than Matthews.

I really don’t see what Matthews gains by waiting another year considering he could probably get 11 million already. If he holds out and outs up 50 goals maybe he’d be in contention for McDavid money but his agent may likely just seek to lock in a huge money contract as soon as possible.

Marner would be better off waiting to see if he hits 70+ points then getting his agent to hardball the Leafs into a 7.5-8.5 million range.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It makes a lot more sense for Marner to hold out than Matthews.

I really don’t see what Matthews gains by waiting another year considering he could probably get 11 million already. If he holds out and outs up 50 goals maybe he’d be in contention for McDavid money but his agent may likely just seek to lock in a huge money contract as soon as possible.

Marner would be better off waiting to see if he hits 70+ points then getting his agent to hardball the Leafs into a 7.5-8.5 million range.
I still see Marner waiting as the bad move because what if he has an inconsistent season like Nylander, who could have easily signed his extension last summer and choose not to.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I still see Marner waiting as the bad move because what if he has an inconsistent season like Nylander, who could have easily signed his extension last summer and choose not to.

It is a gamble. And I could see him having a rough year, it does happen to some guys. Depends on if he wants to bet on himself or not.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Matthews is getting at least 12 million.

Marner would get 7 million of he signed today IMO, but if we wait a year and he has a monster year, he's getting at least 8.5/9.

And I'm okay with either, these are game changers we're talking about here.
Marner would get 7 on a 6 year deal, not an 8 year deal which would be a lot more expensive.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Seems to me that Matthews, after his injury riddled season, would sign right away.......if they offer him around 10 to 11 million why would he wait, hoping to have a better year?
At least I would..
Marner,on the other hand, could conceivably hit 90 points and if he does he would be in the 10 mil area too...so it may make more sense for him to wait.
Nylander...no idea....he has immense talent but not the drive to show it....unless he matures in a hurry and gets to his potential..

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That's a good point. I don't think it's any more relevant for Marner than any other player (at least I don't know that smaller player are more likely to get concussed) but it's a very important consideration for any player. Sign now for tens of millions of dollars ... or don't sign, and risk missing out on tens of millions of dollars.
It is less likely for smaller highly skilled players as they have always been small and are always having to be aware of where they are on the ice along with where their opponents are. Bigger players who grew up bigger then most of their opponents simply never learned to be body aware as they could run over every one.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Offer sheets when there was no maximum amount of years you could sign a player was a thing but now with a max of 7 years It is not as attractive as the cost is draft picks. How many teams would offer max cap to sign either Mathews or Marner the answer is none other then Arizona perhaps and why would anyone want to sign there even Austin as they are a mess and looking like they will be for a long time .

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Matthews is getting at least 12 million.

Marner would get 7 million of he signed today IMO, but if we wait a year and he has a monster year, he's getting at least 8.5/9.

And I'm okay with either, these are game changers we're talking about here.

I don't think Marner gets 2-2.5 more thank Pastrnak got, unless he blows Pastrnaks contract year out of the water,

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The leafs could pay all of the big 3 max money and wouldn’t blink, if there were no cap.

As it is these guys have to ultimately decide if they take a bit of a haircut so management can pay for a good supporting cast, or if they only care about their own bank account and be damned with the rest of the team.

Look at Kadri and Reilly... they signed very reasonable and modest deals in order to be team players and have other good players available to sign.

If Matthews and Marner both want 11+ we may as well get used to those two and a revolving door of role players, because there’s not gonna be a whole hell of a lot of money left over for 21 other guys

I disagree - Rielly and Kadri got a lot better after they signed their deals. I don't think they were being "team guys".

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Also one thing to note is the following are also pending RFA's after next year, and they both could wait to see what they sign for as a gauge:

Kucherov (older and more prime years, but in terms of league's-best getting a contract he's up there)
Laine (obviously)
Rantenan
Aho
Connor

This off-season's RFA crop isn't as strong

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think Marner gets 2-2.5 more thank Pastrnak got, unless he blows Pastrnaks contract year out of the water,

Pasta only had 1 season where he put up major points before he signed a deal. If Marner waits until next summer he will have theee high point total seasons. Will give his agent more leverage.

Edit: autocorrect typo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It is less likely for smaller highly skilled players as they have always been small and are always having to be aware of where they are on the ice along with where their opponents are. Bigger players who grew up bigger then most of their opponents simply never learned to be body aware as they could run over every one.

Yup. Lindros is the obvious example that comes to mind.

Reactions: diceman934

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Offer sheets when there was no maximum amount of years you could sign a player was a thing but now with a max of 7 years It is not as attractive as the cost is draft picks. How many teams would offer max cap to sign either Mathews or Marner the answer is none other then Arizona perhaps and why would anyone want to sign there even Austin as they are a mess and looking like they will be for a long time .
My reply that you quoted had nothing to do with the threat of an offer sheet for Marner. It was more an example how we saw Nylander not sign his extension last summer and his play this season might have cost him some money. So I think Marner's taking the same risk if he chooses to not sign right away when he's allowed.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Too many quotes to respond to on this post...

Marner and Mathews play different positions so regardless of ppg there is different value and payment.

Playing out the year and passing on guaranteed money doesn’t necessarily mean they will get paid. Poor performance or injuries can impact and or reduce the potential pay day.

The optics of Mathews leveraging a rfa offers sounds ludicrous.

The perception of Nylander is beyond me. Why so many say he doesn’t show up, perform or compete on a regular just doesn’t make sense. He’s a skilled player and makes his money making skilled plays. Not going into the corners and battling for the puck. He is a perfect example of what could happen by not signing early extensions. He bet on himself hoping he would have a big year. His regular season became average for him and showed poorly in the playoffs which is going to cost him millions over the course of his next deal unless he is bridged

My guess is a.m. gets 11, mm gets 7 wn gets 6.5 all over 6-8yrs

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
this is bad news for the Leafs, the only reason not to sign for these 2 would be so that they can increase there value and get paid more, therefore any chance of a discount is pretty much gone assuming they go the route of not signing this summer, tho imo Matthews doesn't have a whole lot to gain by not signing. we know he's a PPG play for the next 8 years and the Leafs management would pay him accordingly, it's Marner's value that could skyrocket with a great season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad