McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Admittedly, it's a bit ridiculous on my part, but it was intended to be.

A small sample size is a small sample size. It's not a point that only applies when you want it to. I feel like we go through these discussions at the start of every season. Some team starts off hot, or cold, and people overreact. A player starts off hot, or cold, and people overreact. History has shown that the good players that start off cold will almost always end up in their expected form, and the players who start off hot will cool off. Ditto for the teams.

This isn't some anomalous thing that we've never seen before. We see it every season. The smart thing to do is just to wait and see how things play out. There is a lot of hockey left to play, and we're currently at the stage in the season where we're seeing a bit sloppier hockey as teams try to get into their groove and pull their systems together. That's also something we see regularly.
Couldn't agree more. The overreaction on this site is hysterical at times.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Being a long time Oiler fan, and knowing many Oiler fans. Just my observation, but I have never heard an Oiler fan wonder if Mcdavid was as good as Matthews..it all comes from the other side....one is a generational superstar...like Gretzky Mario, etc. And Matthews is an amazing talent in his own right

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Being a long time Oiler fan, and knowing many Oiler fans. Just my observation, but I have never heard an Oiler fan wonder if Mcdavid was as good as Matthews..it all comes from the other side....one is a generational superstar...like Gretzky Mario, etc. And Matthews is an amazing talent in his own right

Not that I don't agree with some of this, I believe Oiler fans don't worry about Matthews, and both young players are fantastic. I just don't see Connor as a generational superstar of the same level as Mario or Gretz, that's not saying he won't ever be, but I believe they slapped the term generational on him way to easy. This is not an insult, please don't take it that way, I just have very high standards for what classifies as generational.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not that I don't agree with some of this, I believe Oiler fans don't worry about Matthews, and both young players are fantastic. I just don't see Connor as a generational superstar of the same level as Mario or Gretz, that's not saying he won't ever be, but I believe they slapped the term generational on him way to easy. This is not an insult, please don't take it that way, I just have very high standards for what classifies as generational.

You should hear what Gretz says about Conner, but maybe the great ones standards are not as high as yours.
Sid, Conner and Karlsson are today's generational players.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I am not so sure it about age as it is about self control and ignorance. We all want our opinions to be right, but some of us sit back and objectively look at things and are able to take criticism, other get upset and attack, it would be great if everyone could sit back and enjoy debates.

You've done a good job of remaining diplomatic. It's just unfortunate that we can't have civil debates here. I enjoy talking to people about hockey, regardless of their opinions/affiliations, but people lose all semblance of general courtesy when they are behind a keyboard. I doubt this conversation would have hit the lows this thread has seen if we were all sitting at a table, having a beer and talking about hockey. It's just unfortunate that something we all love turns into a source of such animosity.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You've done a good job of remaining diplomatic. It's just unfortunate that we can't have civil debates here. I enjoy talking to people about hockey, regardless of their opinions/affiliations, but people lose all semblance of general courtesy when they are behind a keyboard. I doubt this conversation would have hit the lows this thread has seen if we were all sitting at a table, having a beer and talking about hockey. It's just unfortunate that something we all love turns into a source of such animosity.

Thank you and right back at you. I agree and that was very well said. It would be cool if a lot of us got together and watched hockey with beers!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You should hear what Gretz says about Conner, but maybe the great ones standards are not as high as yours.
Sid, Conner and Karlsson are today's generational players.

Its is just an opinion. Of course what he says is very important, and I take is serious. However, he also works for the Oilers and has a history with them, and that doesn't mean he doesn't mean it, I am just saying. I really do believe very few players are generational and have changed the game, been above their peers at a level that can't even be measured in just raw numbers. I don't want to sound insulting or anything, if I do I apologize for sure.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not to imply anything, but HF was for sure wrong on Matthews. Tons of NHLers and staff are commenting on how good he is.

What happened to "maybe wait until Christmas to bust out the I told you so's."?

Or does that only apply to other teams and players?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not that I disagree, but we've already seen wayyy more posts that look silly about Matthews than in this thread.

He went from being a MacKinnon level 1st OA and maybe good for 50 points after being drafted

To his first 13 game slump where people said he was figured out

To mid season where people said he wouldn't score 40

To the playoffs where people questioned how he would perform

To it was a fluke, he won't play that good again blah blah

Fans were laughed off the site for thinking he was better than Eichel and Laine. In fact, they were laughed off for saying that Matthews was a lot closer to McDavid than some let on with their "in another tier" or even the " Matthews is a tier or two below".

As of now, Matthews is better than McDavid in a lot of area's, and McDavid is better in a lot of area's. They play different games. What is consistent is, point totals have never been the end all be all in evaluations until Matthews vs McDavid started.

Matthews is better in two zones and in a lot of areas of the game. It's just a fact. To think people are basing it on 5 games is silly. It's being based on a full season + watching both in the playoffs + seeing if Matthews is able to improve over the offseason.

He has. Every credible source in the NHL has talked about it, including his team mates. Yet on HF, none of that matters.

McDavid has a LOT of work to do away from the puck if he wants to be considered the best in the NHL AINEC.
When the points difference is 31 POINTS then Yeah, that's really the only thing that matters...

Would you rather the 50pt C or the 81pt C?

Reactions: snipes and karnige

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Pointless tonight. Leafs fans should be concerned, you never want your best players to 'take the night off'.

<feeding time>

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Pointless tonight. Leafs fans should be concerned, you never want your best players to 'take the night off'.

<feeding time>

You should see his possession numbers, domination as per usual, great away from the puck..

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Obvious answer: McDavid

McDavid is probably 15-20 points better than Matthews, maybe more.

Still happy with Matthews tho.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm perfectly happy to let fans rant and rave about the superiority of McDavid on a message board while watching a quality team build around Matthews. I'll be rooting for our guy to keep getting better and maybe surprise some people.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
To be fair to Matthews who I’m always usually against, he is looking Eric lindros-Esque....beast like this year, without the toughness he had obviously but just for pure dominance.

He has impressed me more this year way more then last year. So far, small sample size.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
LOL! 52 people like this comment.
I'm shocked, but I think it gets the point across... Everyone should be happy with their own guy :)

As a leafs fan, Matthews has been incredible this season, and I'm thrilled with him. That's all there is too it for me

Reactions: DanM

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
What an utterly dominant line, still can't believe they didn't manage to pot one tonight but if they can play like that more often than not then Nylander and Matthews are all set to be up near the top of the scoring list, with brilliant two way play on top of it. I don't remember seeing a line that dominant since the Spezza/Alfredsson/Heatley days or Datsyuk and Zetterberg with Lidstrom behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad