McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If we want to base who is the best player this year so far after only 5 games in, there are about 20 guys in the league right now that have had similar starts to the season and have scored more points then McDavid has. Of course based on last season McDavid is better. If Matthews was not on the Maple Leafs no one in their right mind would consider a guy that had 31 less points to be as good as the other. If an Oilers fan tried to claim a player on the Oilers was a good as someone that won 3 major awards and had 31 more points, I would call that person clueless.

It is ridiculous to make any conclusions based on 5 games. I believe Matthews had a fairly similar start last season as well. If we want to make this comparison this season, Matthews only has 3 more points in one more game played then McDavid on a team that has scored 18 more goals (More then triple) then the Oilers already this season. Matthews is not even leading the league in scoring or any major category right now and people are talking like he is dominating the whole league. There are a number of players that have been as impressive or more impressive then either Matthews or McDavid this season so far.

Lets check back in another 78 games.

Last edited:

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
If we want to base who is the best player this year so far after only 5 games in, there are about 20 guys in the league right now that have had similar starts to the season and have scored more points then McDavid has. Of course based on last season McDavid is better. If Matthews was not on the Maple Leafs no one in their right mind would consider a guy that had 31 less points to be as good as the other. If an Oilers fan tried to claim a player on the Oilers was a good as someone that won 3 major awards and had 31 more points, I would call that person clueless.

It is ridiculous to make any conclusions based on 5 games. I believe Matthews had a fairly similar start last season as well. If we want to make this comparison this season, Matthews only has 3 more points in one more game played then McDavid on a team that has scored 18 more goals then the Oilers already this season. Matthews is not even leading the league in scoring or any major category right now and people are talking like he is dominating the whole league. There are a number of players that have been as impressive or more impressive then either Matthews or McDavid this season so far.

I totally agree that it's too early to pick Matthews over McDavid. That being said...if you've watched all their games this year one guy is playing way better than the other while neither is playing at their best.

I'll be interested to see what it looks like after game 82.

Reactions: DanM

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Whomever in this thread claiming that Matthews is better then McDavid, take off the Homer glasses. McDavid just came off a season in which he dethroned Crosby as the games most dominant player by winning mvp, Lindsay and art Ross. Get real people.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

It is ridiculous to make any conclusions based on 5 games. I believe Matthews had a fairly similar start last season as well. If we want to make this comparison this season, Matthews only has 3 more points in one more game played then McDavid on a team that has scored 18 more goals then the Oilers already this season. Matthews is not even leading the league in scoring or any major category right now and people are talking like he is dominating the whole league. There are a number of players that have been as impressive or more impressive then either Matthews or McDavid this season so far.

This is all that needs to be said. Matthews would need to put up a similar season as McDavid did last year to be put in the same conversation. Small sample sizes do not change my opinion.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
It wasn't close last year, why is it suddenly a debate 5 games into the season? Mcdavid is the best player in hockey. Matthews isn't. Leafs fans have been absolutely wilding these days on HF huh?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

It is ridiculous to make any conclusions based on 5 games. I believe Matthews had a fairly similar start last season as well. If we want to make this comparison this season, Matthews only has 3 more points in one more game played then McDavid on a team that has scored 18 more goals (More then triple) then the Oilers already this season. Matthews is not even leading the league in scoring or any major category right now and people are talking like he is dominating the whole league. There are a number of players that have been as impressive or more impressive then either Matthews or McDavid this season so far.

This has to do with far more than just points though... it's based on his skillset, overall dominance and his potential to get even better. Puzzling how you thought this was only about points after 5 games.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It wasn't close last year, why is it suddenly a debate 5 games into the season? Mcdavid is the best player in hockey. Matthews isn't. Leafs fans have been absolutely wilding these days on HF huh?

Matthews was a rookie last year.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
This has to do with far more than just points though... it's based on his skillset, overall dominance and his potential to get even better. Puzzling how you thought this was only about points after 5 games.

McDavid has awesome potential to get even better and he dominates more then any forward in the NHL on a game to game and shift to shift basis, so based on that McDavid is certainly better. How hard is it to look good on a team that is currently scoring 5 goals a game and has triple the goals the Oilers do this season. A whole 3 more points to show for it thus far.

55sensfan

Apr 24, 2012
We will see if Matthews scores 5 goals on Saturday night. That will confirm his god-like status.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Whomever in this thread claiming that Matthews is better then McDavid, take off the Homer glasses. McDavid just came off a season in which he dethroned Crosby as the games most dominant player by winning mvp, Lindsay and art Ross. Get real people.

Sid has a big silver thing called a Stanly cup, in fact he third and second in a row. Sid is still the best player in the game, but Mcdavid is fantastic!!

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
It's better than "11 points ahead = new best player!!"

Its actually not. I mean in terms of individual player comparison individual awards are a more valid argument than team oriented awards. If you dont understand that i dont have anything left to say here. And im not claiming mcdavid is definitely better than crosby

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
C'mon bud... you know this isnt a good argument

HAHA fair fair. Honestly though, I still believe Sid is the best in the game. Mcdavid is spectacular though, I really love watching that kid play, that second goal in the first game was off the charts!

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
HAHA fair fair. Honestly though, I still believe Sid is the best in the game. Mcdavid is spectacular though, I really love watching that kid play, that second goal in the first game was off the charts!

That is totally fair

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
That is totally fair

You are right though, Mcdavid had a lot of hardware to back things up, and individual awards are a better gauge on the players ranking within NHL circles, I have to give credit where credit is due.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
You are right though, Mcdavid had a lot of hardware to back things up, and individual awards are a better gauge on the players ranking within NHL circles, I have to give credit where credit is due.

yeah i think mcdavid was better last season. Like you im not ready to say hes definitely a better player than sid just yet though

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ah yes, but Will Butcher is a rookie this season, and after 5 games he has just as many points.

Extrapolating from your argument, clearly, that means Butcher is better, right? Right?
Butcher > Matthews confirmed. Pretty much sums up the logic by multiple posters in this thread. Hit the nail right on the head.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
yeah i think mcdavid was better last season. Like you im not ready to say hes definitely a better player than sid just yet though

Agreed. What I would love to see is both of them on the Olympic roster playing against the world, what a treat. The talent on that team would be insane! we should start a thread asking people to put the potential olympic roster and positions together, even if it is only for fun. Keep it going for the year like a fantasy draft hahaha

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Agreed. What I would love to see is both of them on the Olympic roster playing against the world, what a treat. The talent on that team would be insane! we should start a thread asking people to put the potential olympic roster and positions together, even if it is only for fun. Keep it going for the year like a fantasy draft hahaha

No doubt there will be something like that as it gets closer lol. Should be fun

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Butcher > Matthews confirmed. Pretty much sums up the logic by multiple posters in this thread. Hit the nail right on the head.

Admittedly, it's a bit ridiculous on my part, but it was intended to be.

A small sample size is a small sample size. It's not a point that only applies when you want it to. I feel like we go through these discussions at the start of every season. Some team starts off hot, or cold, and people overreact. A player starts off hot, or cold, and people overreact. History has shown that the good players that start off cold will almost always end up in their expected form, and the players who start off hot will cool off. Ditto for the teams.

This isn't some anomalous thing that we've never seen before. We see it every season. The smart thing to do is just to wait and see how things play out. There is a lot of hockey left to play, and we're currently at the stage in the season where we're seeing a bit sloppier hockey as teams try to get into their groove and pull their systems together. That's also something we see regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad