Player Discussion Max Pacioretty -- Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dreger says there's clearly interest in Max, but the ask is too high. Considering one of the asks was reportedly Trocheck out of Florida, I can see that.

Centres are the most valuable position in the game, imo, and trading a top-line winger for a top-line centre is just a big value mismatch unless that winger is Ovechkin, Benn or Kane (which are franchise wingers -- in Ovi's case, generational, not just "top-line wingers".).

I still think you trade him and move on, but I'd take a nice collection of picks or young LHD at this rate because a young centre doesn't look realistic at all. A lot of teams would probably look at a team like Montreal and use it as an example of what not having a centre does to your team and why you should keep them.

I would love to know what offers we actually got and I do think Bergevin is going to screw himself over by asking too much. It's one thing to set the price high (which I agree with) but when an offer comes in that makes sense but does not reach your asking price, you might have to pull the trigger. Look at the Rangers with McDonagh. They took what they could and I think they did alright.

Reactions: Rapala

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With the way Pacioretty's season has gone... I think I'd look to resign him. Rather than sell low on him, we should buy low. We could probably re-up him for something reasonable. Don't see him getting anything significant on the trade market...

I would not have a problem with re-signing him but he's not going to give us a team friendly deal. Pretty sure he would stay but we will have to pay him too much to get him to sign early. I would have no problem with giving him the Radulov contract (5 years at $6.25M) but I bet you he declines.

The stars are not aligning well with Patch and the Habs. Go after multiple picks on draft day and acquire multiple grade A prospects in a draft that looks deep. Trying to get the Duchene return will burn us IMO. Target as many picks as we can get.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So Nash's value would be even worse as he isn't the guy that is in his prime, he hasn't scored 40 points in 3 seasons. You aren't making any sense.

Nash has a go for it rental value.
I'm not saying it's not an overpayment but Boston thinks they have a shot in the east.

I would have loved it if some team regarded Max in the same light.
Time will tell but based on what I'm hearing Bergevin isn't going to get his overpayment. Regardless of what you or I think in terms of value it's the 30 GM's who make the market.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I would love to know what offers we actually got and I do think Bergevin is going to screw himself over by asking too much. It's one thing to set the price high (which I agree with) but when an offer comes in that makes sense but does not reach your asking price, you might have to pull the trigger. Look at the Rangers with McDonagh. They took what they could and I think they did alright.
I think there was a slight chance we could have pried Vilardi out of LA, but if reports are true, Bergevin severely overplayed his hand by asking for Toffoli, Vilardi and a 1st as the starting price.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Check the team leader in points for The past 7 or so years and there’s only one name that comes up. Also he’s the team ALL TIME leader in game winning goals.

People like you bemoan players like Patches and then scream for Bargin Bin to get skilled players over players with character. Patches is literally as skilled a goal scorer as you’re going to get in the nhl whether you believe it or not is irrelevant and inconsequential. He is in fact a top end goal scorer in a league where goals are at a premium and he’s done so far more consistently and for longer time than Rick Nash has. Again, this is not an opinion but a fact that the numbers and eye test both bare out time and time again.

As for pinging you, a) it’s not my style to gloat and b) who even does that???

Look I know Patch can score goals we all do.
The fact is he is a huge disappointment based on the skill you mentioned. I took you to task when you called him Elite for the simple reason that Elite players give it game in game out.
It got to the point where people would seek to overlook his faults by bringing up his contract. Fact Nash pulled in loot Patch zip so far.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think there was a slight chance we could have pried Vilardi out of LA, but if reports are true, Bergevin severely overplayed his hand by asking for Toffoli, Vilardi and a 1st as the starting price.

If only we knew the truth. I just don't see it being that high and proven assets like Toffoli on top of Vilardi and the 1st is questionable. I don't believe those rumors. It's delusional and more than what the Avs got for Duchene.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If only we knew the truth. I just don't see it being that high and proven assets like Toffoli on top of Vilardi and the 1st is questionable. I don't believe those rumors. It's delusional and more than what the Avs got for Duchene.
And yet I wouldn't put it passed Bergevin to overplay his hand considering how bad he's looked in his other major trades he's pulled off.

Reactions: Rapala

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And yet I wouldn't put it passed Bergevin to overplay his hand considering how bad he's looked in his other major trades he's pulled off.

I think we see it differently at this point. My support of Bergevin has diminished over the last 2 years but I don't think he is an idiot. Those rumors are insanely high.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The ones about his mental state? :sarcasm:

I'm not willing to use a rumor as fact and more reason to throw him under the bus. There is way too much of that going on towards him. He has plenty of solid evidence to criticize him. No need to exaggerate into nasty levels IMO. This is not the type of culture we want to build in Montreal and to try to get UFA's to sign with our team.

Hero or Zero evaluation needs to stop! It's not helping our team in any way.

AngryMichel

Mar 6, 2018
Floride
I'm not willing to go that far. I didn't like him as our Captain but worse in history? That is nasty. I rather attack his lack of production and how he doesn't produce when we need him.

Name a worst one. Anyway, I heard it on the radio or on the golf course. Might be true. Might be not true.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I think we see it differently at this point. My support of Bergevin has diminished over the last 2 years but I don't think he is an idiot. Those rumors are insanely high.

The guy himself might not be an idiot. But when it comes to building a successful team he absolutely is an idiot . Habs are easily bottom 5 worst managed teams in the league

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm not willing to use a rumor as fact and more reason to throw him under the bus. There is way too much of that going on towards him. He has plenty of solid evidence to criticize him. No need to exaggerate into nasty levels IMO. This is not the type of culture we want to build in Montreal and to try to get UFA's to sign with our team.

Hero or Zero evaluation needs to stop! It's not helping our team in any way.

LOL
I was not being serious you know.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The guy himself might not be an idiot. But when it comes to building a successful team he absolutely is an idiot . Habs are easily bottom 5 worst managed teams in the league

He's clearly struggling and I'm unsure if he can learn from his mistakes. The one thing that bothers me the most is the 3 year deal for Galchenyuk and how we treated him. Galchenyuk is going to burn us on that 3 year deal and Bergevin did not learn from Subban's bridge contract. He also believed in the propaganda that the Habs are nothing without Price and payed him as the undisputed best in the world when he is one of the best in the world.

The more I think about it, the more I think this team needs a jolt of energy and change is needed. Molson needs to hire a hockey guy as president and I would take my chances with Roy as our GM. Give him a 2 year contract. If you can take your chances with Houle, Gauthier, Bergevin, you can give Roy a shot. Give Roy a chance to bring the cup back! I want him part of our team again please

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
How hard is it to trade this guy for a legit center? It would solve so many problems.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Look I know Patch can score goals we all do.
The fact is he is a huge disappointment based on the skill you mentioned. I took you to task when you called him Elite for the simple reason that Elite players give it game in game out.
It got to the point where people would seek to overlook his faults by bringing up his contract. Fact Nash pulled in loot Patch zip so far.

So you think Nash is a superstar? Dude. What are you even talking about here? Your posts are incoherent and you literally never make a point. You ramble from one misguided thought to another and none even connect.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Name a worst one. Anyway, I heard it on the radio or on the golf course. Might be true. Might be not true.

Not my style and I think we should steer away from that negativity. Attack his performance on the ice. I'm sure he can take that. Calling him the worse captain in history is a low blow and what I'm talking about. Why? What's the point. To make yourself feel better by throwing him under bus even more because we had a bad season.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If we're still going to entertain Roy coming back, let him be an assistant GM and run the Laval team. That organization is a mess also and maybe Roy can turn things around.

We need new blood for the pro team also, but I got my list and Roy isn't on it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How hard is it to trade this guy for a legit center? It would solve so many problems.

Term is the problem and not many teams trade Grade A prospects. Patch is not trending well so that don't help either. If the situation was reversed, would you trade a center for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad