Player Discussion Max Pacioretty -- Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I've made several posts on the Rumors Forum contesting facile and unnecessary ethnic references where posters from other teams devise fake trades on the basis of Montreal overpaying for a player on account that he is French Canadian. The whole ethnic thing is crass and belittles us as we're here just talking sports.

So I come back to our forum and here we are having to contend with a pasta reference just cause one of our players is of Italian origin.

The same people that don't like it when French Canadian innuendo is being used unfairly, somehow are nowhere to be found when other ethnic origins are being ridiculed.
Montreal has a large strong Italian community who follows the Habs religiously and John Taveres will be an instant hero and idol should he sign with Montreal.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The plan should be to get assets for Pacioretty and then replace him with David Perron, Evander Kane, James Neal, or JVR. But while those names are out there in the UFA market, I doubt we get much for Pacioretty. Hopefully at the draft, but we may have to wait until those players have signed.
Evander Kane because of his relatively young age, a power forward, he once scored 30 goals for the Winnipeg Jets, his commitment to team play for the Sharks, evidence that he has matured as a person, he can fight, etc., will be a very hot free agent. His current salary of $6M per will be dwarfed by offers of upwards of $8M+ per for 7 seasons comparable to his former Jets' teammate Big Buff at $8M per.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Tavares is never going to sign in Montreal. Nor is Kovalchuk, whose wife is running the show (like most of our wives :sarcasm:) and I heard that she prefers NY or LA, so tiens-toé, it's going to be a Stastny-type or some borderline 2nd line C that the Habs will have to use as a 1C or someone long in the tooth who is over 35. It is what it is until the Habs draft and develop one and that's a longterm proposition and a different management contingent away.
Never say never! If Bergy can snag John Tavares, all will be forgiven for Bergy by the Habs' faithful. The Bell Centre will once again rock with "Les Habitants Sont La!!!"

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Montreal has a large strong Italian community who follows the Habs religiously and John Taveres will be an instant hero and idol should he sign with Montreal.

What does that have to do with anything? Montreal has a diverse fan base and is rabid. That's all that matters.

And they'll welcome any player that can bring offence -- they are literally starved for one. Even if the Habs have to overpay.

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Never say never! If Bergy can snag John Tavares, all will be forgiven for Bergy by the Habs' faithful. The Bell Centre will once again rock with "Les Habitants Sont La!!!"

It's all good but hope is not a plan. We'll see, I guess.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What does that have to do with anything? Montreal has a diverse fan base and is rabid. That's all that matters.

And they'll welcome any player that can bring offence -- they are literally starved for one. Even if the Habs have to overpay.

Agreed. I think for the majority of fans, legit and proven skill trumps everything else.

I'll preface this by saying I am a JT fan and did want him at various stages past couple years.

That said, I don't think Tavares will be worth our time. Maybe a couple summers ago, but based on how this team is currently constructed, I don't see how he puts us over the top. Of course, if somehow, Bergy finds a way to augment multiple areas (without any super powers) and signs JT, different story.

To be honest, I don't think center is our biggest issue right now.

Tavares is a Portugese surname.

Yup, his background is actually Polish and Portugese, but yeah, his name is Portugese.

Reactions: ArsHabs

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Heard the similar scenario about Drouin. Although he could not tie JTs skates.

Lets say JT chooses Montreal (never happen) But even if he did. If the team kept losing while he maintained his usual point per game average.....he would not be an "instant hero" in Montreal.
If JT thinks he hates losing in Brooklyn, wait till he does it in Montreal.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
MB could snag Taveres, but MB will still be an idiot. He is in wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over his head. The proof is in our regression over a six year period, and his putrid evaluations, one after the other...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Agreed. I think for the majority of fans, legit and proven skill trumps everything else.

I'll preface this by saying I am a JT fan and did want him at various stages past couple years.

That said, I don't think Tavares will be worth our time. Maybe a couple summers ago, but based on how this team is currently constructed, I don't see how he puts us over the top. Of course, if somehow, Bergy finds a way to augment multiple areas (without any super powers) and signs JT, different story.

To be honest, I don't think center is our biggest issue right now.

Yup, his background is actually Polish and Portugese, but yeah, his name is Portugese.
Getting a good GM is our most pressing need...getting JT ( bandaid ) will just cover over for a short time, the bigger problem with the habs...the GM, end of story.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'll always remember Pacioretty fondly - his fate was sealed the day he was named Captain, I think I even posted that at the time.

It's unfortunate that it ended this way, but here's hoping he can be moved for a strong return and he can continue his career elsewhere away from the madness that is Montreal.

Nothing but good things to say and remember for Pacioretty (well at least mostly).

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'll always remember Pacioretty fondly - his fate was sealed the day he was named Captain, I think I even posted that at the time.

It's unfortunate that it ended this way, but here's hoping he can be moved for a strong return and he can continue his career elsewhere away from the madness that is Montreal.

Nothing but good things to say and remember for Pacioretty (well at least mostly).

I don't think it's fair to say his fate was sealed by being named captain but I agree with the rest of your post. A fantastic player for the vast majority of his tenure. I wish him the best if he is dealt too. New team will get an elite player.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think it's fair to say his fate was sealed by being named captain but I agree with the rest of your post. A fantastic player for the vast majority of his tenure. I wish him the best if he is dealt too. New team will get an elite player.
Oh I certainly think being named captain sealed his fate...

As a goal scorer, his leadership ability would always be tied into his goal production...and that's just way too much pressure, in this market, for anyone.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Oh I certainly think being named captain sealed his fate...

As a goal scorer, his leadership ability would always be tied into his goal production...and that's just way too much pressure, in this market, for anyone.

Gotta agree. I thought it was totally ridiculous to give him the captaincy, and bound to fail.

Reactions: 417

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Look where his outstanding leadership has brought the team so far. How can you argue?

I don't care about his leadership. His role is to score goals and not be a liability defensively. He's a good player when he plays with a playmaker of Radulov's caliber.

Having said that, the reason I want him traded is because he only has so many good years left. Better to trade him for a young asset who can give us 10 -12 years of top 6 production or top 4 d.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I don't care about his leadership. His role is to score goals and not be a liability defensively. He's a good player when he plays with a playmaker of Radulov's caliber.

Having said that, the reason I want him traded is because he only has so many good years left. Better to trade him for a young asset who can give us 10 -12 years of top 6 production or top 4 d.

Max at his current salary is fine. If we pay Max 7-8 million we are even more F***ed than we are currently. You cannot win on the back of Max. He does not show up in the playoffs and if he is our main goal scorer we will always lose.
And you should care about his leadership because his role IS to lead. He is our captain. You don't wear the Habs C and then resort to being a floater. You want to make the argument he's a quiet guy - no problem. Then lead by example. He failed to do that as well. Miserably.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Max at his current salary is fine. If we pay Max 7-8 million we are even more F***ed than we are currently. You cannot win on the back of Max. He does not show up in the playoffs and if he is our main goal scorer we will always lose.
And you should care about his leadership because his role IS to lead. He is our captain. You don't wear the Habs C and then resort to being a floater. You want to make the argument he's a quiet guy - no problem. Then lead by example. He failed to do that as well. Miserably.

It was another mistake by management to make him captain.

He floats around because he doesn't know what to do with the puck when he gets it. We saw that when he was (erroneously) on the half wall on the powerplay. He doesn't handle the puck well. He should never have been in that role. He's a guy that for the most part won't hurt you defensively and will get open for a shot when he's playing with a playmaker.

I wonder if the fact that he doesn't handle the puck well means he just won't be as effective in the new NHL, where hooking the hands is called and players with puck skills are leaving those without in the dust.

I'm for trading him because 1) as you said no way should he get a big contract and 2) he just may not be that effective in the new NHL.

However, as bad as we were before he got injured, we were worse when he went down. He still is a positive player for the team. For example he, Danault and Hudon gives us another line that is dangerous offensively. Danault isn't as effective offensively with other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->