Status
Not open for further replies.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Would you guys trade him to Edmonton for Lucic? Or RNH and something

Looch? No way, maybe 5 years ago, yes.

RNH, yes, I'd make that deal at this point. Solid player all over the ice, decent contract, a real center!

Max would probably fit in really well on the Oil. As a secondary piece with no captain pressure he could focus on scoring, that's it.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He’s still a 35 goal scorer that kills penalties, while being paid $4.5m a year.

The Oilers would have to give Puljujarvi to get Max. And I’d do that.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
With the way contracts are going I think it will be closer to 8...

You have to look into trading him.

Ugh, very possible, but I think that is probably the upper end. I suppose if he nets 30-35+, then yeah.

As much as everyone bags on Galchenyuk, for a contender, Patches has a lot more value.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Someone should tell Pacioretty that it's the regular season, looking like playoff patches out there.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Simonac, Pacioretty, at least show some life.
Our leaders don't lead. This bad start is a big test for the room. Can't wait to see someone steps up. Let's go!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I get the type of player Pacioretty is...I don't mind that he's not a 'traffic' player.

I don't want him to be, he's a sniper and snipers are successful because they know how to find dead spots on the ice to receive passes and use their shots.

But the problem with Pacioretty right now IMO and this happens every time he goes through a slump, is that he does virtually nothing to try to provoke his chances.

This probably isn't the time where he should be letting his teammates do all the work.

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
He’s still a 35 goal scorer that kills penalties, while being paid $4.5m a year.

The Oilers would have to give Puljujarvi to get Max. And I’d do that.
They would not get Puljujarvi for a guy who's almost 30 years old. If they're lucky it would be RNH because of his salary. He is the 3rd centre on the team.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The thing about Pacioretty is he can play with trash like Desharnais and still put up 30 goals, so he doesn't need to play with Drouin or on our top line to be effective. Right now they aren't working, so throw him with Plekanec or Danault so he'll have to actually work for scoring chances and give someone else a chance with Drouin.

Reactions: Gains and 417

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
No, it's true.

Fitting since he's built like a stalk of celery and is currently playing like a bowl of steamed kale; bland, flavorless and a bit bitter.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He did turn vegan, Marinaro just mentioned it about 15 minutes ago.

I won't start a heated debate on the matter, since it's not the right place to do so. But I'll just say that; for a high-level athlete having a lot of success to make a drastic change like this when everything in his career is going good... the guy has to be close to a Pejorative Slur.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
His contract extension has been on my mind recently... I don't know how I feel about MB handling this. But I'm ready for it at this point; 9 mill (extra 1 mill for captain duties) x 8 years, making sure our "core" guys are all locked up until their late 30s/early 40s in the case for Weber.

MB's legacy so to speak.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The thing about Pacioretty is he can play with trash like Desharnais and still put up 30 goals, so he doesn't need to play with Drouin or on our top line to be effective. Right now they aren't working, so throw him with Plekanec or Danault so he'll have to actually work for scoring chances and give someone else a chance with Drouin.

That's my thinking - clear as day to me that Pacioretty thinks he can just coast and wait for Drouin to set him up.

Reactions: Justin11 and Andy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
That's my thinking - clear as day to me that Pacioretty thinks he can just coast and wait for Drouin to set him up.
He's dropped so far from the aggressive style he had when playing those 20 games with Gomez and Gionta and that year alongside Cole.

No idea what happened to this guy.

Reactions: Andrei79

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
He's dropped so far from the aggressive style he had when playing those 20 games with Gomez and Gionta and that year alongside Cole.

Chara happened.

That, and when Therrien decided that DD + Max had to be a permanent thing, Max started developing nasty awful floating habits, learning from his BFF Davey, because Therrien never held either one of them to account for uninvolved play. They always got the prime offensive minutes and the PP time, deserved or not, and Max's natural talent let him pot his 30+ most of the time anyway. But his same slacking habits expose him in the playoffs, where his production has often taken a significant and ugly dip.

It's unsurprising that Max would turn out to be any other way, really. He'll be nigh-useless by the time he hits 33 or so.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I've never seen him as an aggressive guy personally, but I think he's overly reliant on shot.

He thinks that's the only weapon he has and should use.

He should remind himself he's also a pretty strong skater, a smart 2 way player when he's engaged. Both of those things can also help him score just as much as his shot can.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They would not get Puljujarvi for a guy who's almost 30 years old. If they're lucky it would be RNH because of his salary. He is the 3rd centre on the team.

You’re undervaluing Max. As frustrating as he is, he’s exactly what the Oilers need. A high end sniper that can keep pace with McDavid, and shift Draisatl down to be the centre on a line under. Patrick Maroon doesn’t cut it with McDavid.

They should look to win the Cup now before McDavid’s new contract kicks in. Max gives them a much better shot while Puljujarvi is in the AHL.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
There's a number of things that could explain his fall: he's getting older, his passion for the game and willingness to prove himself game-in game-out is probably not the same as it was 5 years ago, he is a dad now, he's also probably still trying to find ways to cope with the extra responsibilities of being the team's captain. He has made a very comfortable living and is guaranteed to see that continue, and so it becomes a matter of perspective. Does he want to risk as much shift-to-shift as he did a couple of years ago? If his on-ice performance in the last 2 years is any indication it's pretty clear in what direction the answer lies.

We are rabid fans and expect the players to have the same zeal, but at the end of the day this is just a job for them and age probably makes that all the more clearer. I can see a similar thing happening with Price, he signed that contract knowing full well that it would probably cut his prime in half and lead to a pretty toxic relationship with the fans at the Bell Centre in the coming years; but will any of that matter when he's 40 and sitting on a fortune of over 84 million dollars?

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Even when he is scoring, he's the same type of player. That might be fine on a team where he's not counted on so heavily and if he wasn't the captain. In this situation, it's not working and hasn't worked for 3 years. He needs to go. I got ripped on this board 3 years ago for saying how invisible this guy was. Now it's his nickname.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Captain Invisible - lot of people jumped on my throat for calling him out for his lackluster play. Nice to see that things have come full circle. He's a joke. The worst captain in the NHL. Doesn't play with any pride or accountability. Look for him to show up against the New York Rangers or Florida Panthers. You won't see him in California. He disappears when things get tough, he always has and he always will... He's a Kessel. Great perimeter piece, not a true part of the core. Great contract, trade him while you can still get something of value. He's not going to lead the Habs anywhere.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I think it was a game back in 13-14, where he got injured crashing the net, again, versus TB or OTT...or was it FLA...? Lol..not sure. But he got a little injury crashing the front of the net. After that during comments, he discussed how he has to change the way he plays because he was getting injured too often playing his style. I believe @Whitesnake might remember that, I think we talked about it before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad