Max Pacioretty - He wants to be Captain, but will he? (Yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Like I said, Pacioretty had 16 shots on goal in two games with DD. Galchenyuk and Plekanec would be hard pressed to put it on his stick anywhere near the bet that many times a game. No matter how much you guy hate DD and have a hard-on for Galchenyuk.

So was pleks hard pressed?

Or was it simply pacioretty putting in more effort and playing better. Pacioretty doesnt need davey

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You said galch and pleks would be hard pressed to put pacioretty in a position to get 16 shots over two games and that Davey could.

Regardless of what Max does with Plekanec and Galchenyuk, getting to 8 shots a game with DD is exactly why they should never be together, barring some extreme circumstances (like Plekanec kicked out of the game for whatever reason). Not talking about a shift here and there on the power play.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The "C" is a letter on the shirt. Everyone in that dressing room is responsible for the teams success! If Patches appears to be in a bit of a funk someone else steps up!! And vice versa. BTW Montreal were in every game so let's just chill out. Pacioretty is fine.

Noted,
The letters mean absolutely nothing and crapping the bed in games is okay as long as long you were in it at one point. Stanley Cup here we come.

I'm sorry but the truth is we have to hold our leaders to higher standards than that.
You talk about funk and I talk about work ethic.
How do they equate?
Other than put in more work and :amazed: no funk.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
It's hard for Max to put up 9-10 shots a night playing with a guy that loves to hold the puck and who is great with the puck (Galchenyuk). Of course he'll put up 16 shots in 2 games playing with Weise and DD; neither of them particularly enjoy holding the puck, nor are they particularly good with the puck.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's hard for Max to put up 9-10 shots a night playing with a guy that loves to hold the puck and who is great with the puck (Galchenyuk). Of course he'll put up 16 shots in 2 games playing with Weise and DD; neither of them particularly enjoy holding the puck, nor are they particularly good with the puck.

No NHL player should average 8 shots a game...
Hell, no NHL player should average 7 shots a game.

Nynja*

No NHL player should average 8 shots a game...
Hell, no NHL player should average 7 shots a game.

And thats why when Max had 16 shots playing with Davey and Weise, he got 0 goals: its easy to cheat towards Max when you know that 19 times out of 20, the puck will get dished off to him.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Noted,
The letters mean absolutely nothing and crapping the bed in games is okay as long as long you were in it at one point. Stanley Cup here we come.

I'm sorry but the truth is we have to hold our leaders to higher standards than that.
You talk about funk and I talk about work ethic.
How do they equate?
Other than put in more work and :amazed: no funk.

Higher standards? Again Montreal is without their best Player and a heart and soul guy. Pacioretty had two recent bad games but other then that he is doing a fine job. In case you haven't notice the Habs are not the most skilled team yet they are in first. Try giving credit where credit is due. I am confident that a healthy habs squad can compete vs any team in the league.

Put in more work? Patches is basically playing with a broken foot. Montreal as a unit are a very hard working team. Also playing in Montreal is like nowhere else. Maybe they should have 0 loses right?

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
And thats why when Max had 16 shots playing with Davey and Weise, he got 0 goals: its easy to cheat towards Max when you know that 19 times out of 20, the puck will get dished off to him.

Kinda. You know why the Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher line was so dangerous? Because Gallagher was having a breakout season. Patches is 3rd in the NHL for even strength SF/60. Who is 4th? Gallagher. Overall SF/60? Pacioretty falls to 19th, but Gallagher only falls to 7th. And Gallagher was on of the best players in the NHL in terms of generating scoring chances. Pacioretty has carried on without him, but Gally is a huge loss. He's not an ideal 3rd liner anymore, but a legit top-line RW. Replacing him with AHL callups and 4th liners doesn't cut it.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Gallagher IS a 1st liner, accept it.

We had a real first line in so long, Gallagher was on pace for 71pts at least this season, Plek was on pace for 75poits at least and Pacio for like 75pts and 41goals before Gallagher broke his hand if I recall correctly. That's a good first line in this new hockey world where the Art ross is around 90pts. They would have been all 3 in the top20 scorer.

So of course it hurts Pacioretty production, plus, gallagher was doing an amazing job in front on the net to create some space for Max to open up.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Higher standards? Again Montreal is without their best Player and a heart and soul guy. Pacioretty had two recent bad games but other then that he is doing a fine job. In case you haven't notice the Habs are not the most skilled team yet they are in first. Try giving credit where credit is due. I am confident that a healthy habs squad can compete vs any team in the league.

Put in more work? Patches is basically playing with a broken foot. Montreal as a unit are a very hard working team. Also playing in Montreal is like nowhere else. Maybe they should have 0 loses right?

I'm sorry I must have missed the news about Max's broken foot.
Does he have a micro fracture we should be concerned about? :sarcasm
Look there isn't a Habs fan who doesn't want to see this guy succeed.
But we can't surgarcoat his game when he doesn't show up either.
He was far more engaged last game and we can only hope that continues.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011

Nice I totally remember him getting 39 goals with desharnais though.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
So was pleks hard pressed?

Or was it simply pacioretty putting in more effort and playing better. Pacioretty doesnt need davey

Pacioretty played far better, so did the whole team. I don't care if pacioretty plays with desharnais, or anyone in particulR, because frankly as far as talent goes on the team it doesn't really matter. The truth to my statement comes down to the idiocy of saying pacioretty is incapable of producing with desharnais when he's being constantly spoon fed the puck bh desharnais, even at the expense of better plays.

Again, plekanec was not responsible for pacioretty's goal last game.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm sorry I must have missed the news about Max's broken foot.
Does he have a micro fracture we should be concerned about? :sarcasm
Look there isn't a Habs fan who doesn't want to see this guy succeed.
But we can't surgarcoat his game when he doesn't show up either.
He was far more engaged last game and we can only hope that continues.

He always shows up.....some just don't know what to look for.

Nynja*

Nice I totally remember him getting 39 goals with desharnais though.
2014? Lets talk 2014. Dont come crying "Sample sizes" because this is the only sample size available:
64 games with Davey as his C, he put up 36 goals, 20 assists for 56 points, a 0.875 PPG pace.
4 games with Eller, where he put up 3 goals and 0 assists.
3 games with Plek (who had his second worst year, outside of his rookie year) with 1 assist
1 game with Chucky, where got 0 points.
and 1 game where he spent the first period with Davey, the second with Plek, and the third with Chucky...obviously there were 0 points there.

"OMG SEE HIGHEST PPG WITH DAVEY"...yup, but his GPG went down with Davey compared to Eller :) If he spent the season with Eller, that could have been 40+ goals.

Here are the 2015 stats:
Patch-Davey-XXX----------Games 1-29---29GP---12---8--20
Patch-Davey-XXX----------Games 50-70--21GP---11---9--20
Patch-Davey-PAP----------Games 73-77---5GP----2---2---4
Sum of Patch-Davey-XXX----------------55GP---25--19--44 0.8 PPG

Patch-Plek-Gally/Weise---Games 42-49---8GP----5---2---7
Patch-Plek-XXX-----------Games 71-72---2GP----1---1---2
Patch-Plek-Gally---------Games 78-79---2GP----0---1---1
Sub of Patch-Plek-XXX-----------------12GP----6---4---10 0.833 PPG

Patch-Chuck-Gally--------Games 30-41--12GP----6---7--13 1.083PPG

And remember when he played with Plek, he was playing two-way hockey. With Davey (and Chucky), he was being sheltered.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He always shows up.....some just don't know what to look for.

I posted exactly what I'm looking for out of Max yesterday, You should actually read it before making your absurd statements. It is actually the blueprint Babcock used for his Team Canada forwards (no exceptions). But according to some posters we shouldn't expect that commitment to excellence from our Captain.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Regarding Pacioretty's leadership: I haven't read the entire thread but it's come into question quite a bit as of late. His ability to show up for games and 'give it his all'.

All I can say is that it's not his game and as much as everyone loves to hear about that "super clutch" player like Toews or Kane that we may have. It's Price. It's always been Price. The leadership core of our forwards is based on a committee, as is the scoring. Pacioretty and Subban are the sexy names for captaincy but Markov & Plekanec are two vets who are the epitome of hard work and professionalism. If it weren't for guys like that Pacioretty wouldn't be who he is today.

So this guy may have a C, may be our top goal scorer but he is what he is. A streaky scorer, an inconsistent two-way player and a selective board battler.

In the end however, the make up of our team results in guys like Max being complimented extraordinarily well with guys like Gallagher/Weise. AKA: Guys who shut up and do the dirty work when they are playing with him.

If we lost max the team would suffer. If we lose Gallagher the team would suffer. If we lost Desharnais or Galchenyuk the same would apply. Quite frankly, when it comes to our skaters(not counting goalies) the team is greater than the sum of all it's parts.

TL;DR: Pacioretty will never be the type to completely carry a team. Luckily, when we have a healthy team he doesn't have to.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Pacioretty produces better away from Desharnais and thats despite being sheltered with Davey. There is no reason to put him with Davey, ever.

This is actually not true.

Look at Hockeyanalysis if you want.

Even if you look at the last full season max has:

2.82 GF60 when with DD and 2.49 without DD.

Of course, he also has 3.12 GF60 with Galchenyuk(2.58 without).

2.41 with Plekanec, 2.78 without.

I think it's this simple: Max scores more per TOI when he gets easier minutes regardless of who the center is.

At this point in time however given max has become a more complete player who can handle two-way roles DD is not the guy you'd want to complete a power line.

Plekanec is the guy IMO. We like to say galchenyuk but for now...Plekanec quite easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad