Max Pacioretty - He wants to be Captain, but will he? (Yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Who wouldn't want to be captain? I still say Subban deserves it most, but I'm great with Pacioretty as well. If Pacioretty becomes captain PK has that "I'll prove you wrong" attitude and will dominate.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I won't be surprised if they go another year without a captain.

If Patches really wants it though, he's gotta produce in the POs. He's money in the regular season, always scoring lots of 3rd period goals and GWGs. Just needs to find another gear ala Subban or Cammy and be a force in the post season.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Please let pre-season start. 13 more day's.

Captain doesn't matter anymore. Reality of the modern era. Captain is a death sentence, you will be scrutinized for everything you do.

Having all the alternates is a better way of distributing the scrutiny, nobody looks squarely at one of them and say's " He is a terrible Alternate!"

I haven't forgotten Gionta, man that guy ate some **** sandwiches from fans.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
he deserves it. good thing is, a number of guys could as easily get it and they'd all be equally deserving

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Please let pre-season start. 13 more day's.

Captain doesn't matter anymore. Reality of the modern era. Captain is a death sentence, you will be scrutinized for everything you do.

Having all the alternates is a better way of distributing the scrutiny, nobody looks squarely at one of them and say's " He is a terrible Alternate!"

I haven't forgotten Gionta, man that guy ate some **** sandwiches from fans.

Which is why Subban is far more suitable. He can handle the scrutiny, the questions, the criticism. It's little different to what he's gone through since he 1st stepped into the NHL.

Pacioretty is way more sensitive.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Subban fuels off of scrutiny, attention. He's also perfect to take the media heat/attention if things aren't running smoothly, protecting his team mates from further scrutiny…

My only worry is that Subban gets trapped into speaking about other players' woes at any point in the season if he is C. Then again, he' s a political 'talking points' machine….

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
On this forum; a bunch of people talking about how Pacioretty is "campaigning" to be the next captain. Meanwhile, Subban singles out Mrs. Beliveau in an interview, no **** is given, it's all "natural".

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Subban fuels off of scrutiny, attention. He's also perfect to take the media heat/attention if things aren't running smoothly, protecting his team mates from further scrutiny…

My only worry is that Subban gets trapped into speaking about other players' woes at any point in the season if he is C. Then again, he' s a political 'talking points' machine….

... Or that he slashes an opponent's wrist off. Or that he gets fined for diving. Or that he shakes his head at coaches on the bench...

Subban is a great player, but there's something about "Captain of the Montreal Canadiens" that requires a higher level of class.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
I wouldn't have had a problem with Pacioretty becoming the Captain if he wasn't actively campaigning for it and if he played harder in the playoffs. Albeit this year he was coming off a concussion and other teams used their best shutdown players against him.

Price is the true leader of this team. Gallagher is its heart. I imagine that it has to be hard to go out on the ice and slack off during your shift after you watch those two play.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I wouldn't have had a problem with Pacioretty becoming the Captain if he wasn't actively campaigning for it and if he played harder in the playoffs. Albeit this year he was coming off a concussion and other teams used their best shutdown players against him.

Price is the true leader of this team. Gallagher is its heart. I imagine that it has to be hard to go out on the ice and slack off during your shift after you watch those two play.

And Subban isn't actively doing the same? Even going as far as praising Mrs Beliveau after being named the first star of a game?

As for his last playoffs, it's arguable Subban has lost both of his duels against Hedman and Karlsson.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
PK is the best skater and the most important performer. Pacioretty has let us down so many times and his attitude is not that of a captain.

He reminds me of Cammaleri, without the PO heroics.

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
PK is the best skater and the most important performer. Pacioretty has let us down so many times and his attitude is not that of a captain.

He reminds me of Cammaleri, without the PO heroics.

this x1000

patches captain ? :shakehead

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
this x1000

patches captain ? :shakehead

He exemplifies off-ice and on-ice work ethic and is a real professional who'll back up his teammates and face the music when he's not performing. Those who think Pacioretty has a poor work ethic just don't understand what a goal scorer is in this league.

Cammalleri without playoffs heroics :laugh:

When's the last time Cammalleri was voted 6th best defensive player of the league.

At this point, if you don't feel like the real captain of this team is among the current group of core players, name Markov the short-term captain, as he's pretty much the guy who makes the most unanimity in this roster.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The campaign for capitaincy is either a good thing or a bad thing. It cannot be good for a player and bad for another.

For the record, I wouldn't name a capitain. Because it's painfully obvious that the real Capitain cannot hold this title.

Also because nonsense will be forthcoming.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The campaign for capitaincy is either a good thing or a bad thing. It cannot be good for a player and bad for another.

For the record, I wouldn't name a capitain. Because it's painfully obvious that the real Capitain cannot hold this title.

Also because nonsense will be forthcoming.

Aleluia to the first sentence. Lots of double-standards around here. Also agree wholeheartedly; this is Price's team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
... Or that he slashes an opponent's wrist off. Or that he gets fined for diving. Or that he shakes his head at coaches on the bench...

Subban is a great player, but there's something about "Captain of the Montreal Canadiens" that requires a higher level of class.

You don't have to trash Subban because you prefer Pacioretty.
Maurice Richard slashed his stick on someone's head, with no helmet, and he's applauded for it?..
He shakes his head at a coach? How do you know he wasn't shaking his head at himself for making a stupid play?? Oh right, you don't.
Ya he dives, so does every other player in the NHL, you have to be pretty innocent to believe that isn't the case. Chara dives, Crosby too, heck I've seen Toews dive as well, but when PK does it though...he's lacking class..

PK or Patches, both are good candidates. I prefer PK because he's at a higher level of elite status. He has the ability to take over a game by himself. Patches hasn't shown this, yet. PK also seem to thrive on bigger games.
In terms of personality though, Patches is a better fit for the more conventional, classy, cliché captain.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
The captain isn't based on who is the best player on the team. The captain should the guy who exemplifies the character of the team and who can act as the leader of the team when dealing with issues involving the players/coaches, players/refs, players/players.
I think trying to act the part of the captain would hinder Subban's and Gallagher's games because they would almost have to behave differently than is their natural character. I think they are both better players when allowed to play on the edge which is not really what you want in a captain in my opinion.
I think Pacioretty would be a good pick. He seems more naturally the part.

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
He exemplifies off-ice and on-ice work ethic and is a real professional who'll back up his teammates and face the music when he's not performing. Those who think Pacioretty has a poor work ethic just don't understand what a goal scorer is in this league.

Cammalleri without playoffs heroics :laugh:

When's the last time Cammalleri was voted 6th best defensive player of the league.

At this point, if you don't feel like the real captain of this team is among the current group of core players, name Markov the short-term captain, as he's pretty much the guy who makes the most unanimity in this roster.

we had a poll a few weeks ago and patches didnt make the unanimity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad