Value of: Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Alright, you can choose Schmaltz over Keller if you’d rather have a center. And we’ll add Hjalmarsson with 50% retention, also. Anyone you guys hate other than Ceci? Add that guy you hate. Whipping boy #2. We’ll take him! Haha :)
You would have to trade us so many 1st round picks the league would create something equivalent to the NBA's Stepien Rule to stop it from happening ever again. On top of Hayton and Soderstrom.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You would have to trade us so many 1st round picks the league would create something equivalent to the NBA's Stepien Rule to stop it from happening ever again. On top of Hayton and Soderstrom.
Alright fine. You twisted my arm. Keller AND Schmaltz and Hall (50%) and OEL for Matthews and Ceci. And yes, I suppose we could still include Hjalmarsson. Haha. ;)

Reactions: 7even

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Zero chance Matthews is moved. None. He's a stud centre at 22 who has a good chance at the Rocket. Those guys don't exist in the availability world.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Let’s get a couple things straight. I know and agree matthews is one of the top young players in the game. I know people will think trading him is ridiculous. And I’m all for different opinions. Tell me how we fix our team defence cause standing pat doesn’t work. Pretending we can out score everyone doesn’t work. Saying they will improve doesn’t work. Blaming injuries all teams have them. We have no toughness. I’m not talking fighting I’m talking hard to play against earn every inch of ice in the defensive zone toughness,team toughness that wins you playoff games and as much as I love Reilly he isn’t that player either. Nylander is a great player and has shown he is willing to score the dirty goals this year but he doesn’t get you that player. Marner is over paid and he is a great passer and playmaker but he doesn’t get you that defenceman and assets we need. So someone anyone please tell me what you would do. One great player doesn’t win you championships.

You don't trade your best player for one ^ Who also happens to be 22...

Mar 14, 2011
Alright, you can choose Schmaltz over Keller if you’d rather have a center. And we’ll add Hjalmarsson with 50% retention, also. Anyone you guys hate other than Ceci? Add that guy you hate. Whipping boy #2. We’ll take him! Haha :)
I'm not sure how the League would view Dubas trading himself to the Coyotes.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
You don't trade your best player for one ^ Who also happens to be 22...

people also forget that a 22 year old is really still a child physically (strength)
...you dont really grow into your adult strength/body until you are 25. until then you are still developing (although there are cases where some develop faster, but, not in general)

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Then Leafs would be nuts
so, you would trade Eichel or Dahlin for that package?

because i wouldnt trade Matthews even up for either Eichel, or Dahlin, and that is NOT a knock on their talent at all.

I also wouldnt trade Eichel for that package, but, would likely for Dahlin

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Reading this, it’s not the worst proposal. I mean its not Matthews for spare parts. Each team gives up something significant. The question is whether you want to give up another year of no playoffs. That said there is no way the ducks give up any unprotected firsts. They aren’t making it this or next and no one gives up a 1st anymore for a potential lottery pick. Those deals make the leafs better in 2-3 years but worse immediately.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Reading this, it’s not the worst proposal. I mean its not Matthews for spare parts. Each team gives up something significant. The question is whether you want to give up another year of no playoffs. That said there is no way the ducks give up any unprotected firsts. They aren’t making it this or next and no one gives up a 1st anymore for a potential lottery pick. Those deals make the leafs better in 2-3 years but worse immediately.

There is no guarantee. Matthews is proven 22 year-old 40+ goal scorer on place for 50+ with a shot at winning the Rocket. You don't trade such a player for future assets.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'm only trading for Matthews if you throw in Bracco is part of the deal.

Also, how did this thread get more than 2 posts?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
For every player on the team EXCEPT Matthews (including Marner, Nylander, Rielly, JT), I’d listen to offers, and consider the deal if it made sense. But Matthews is essentially untouchable. I’d deal him for McDavid obviously, MAYBE for a “similarly good young player on a better contract”, like MacKinnon/Eichel, but that’s it.

He’s a superstar, the best player on the team by far, we don’t deal him for any remotely realistic offer. He’s a 6’3”, 220 lb 2-way C, on a 57 goal/97 point pace at the age of 22. Why would we have any interest in trading that?

Last edited:
Reactions: ParrosIsGreater
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad