Value of: Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
Tell me why trade would you do and both to me are realistic. Yes we give up the best player but we make our team better and tougher to play against.

To the ducks ——> Matthews
To the leafs ——> Manson (top 4 rhd)
Sam steel ( 2nd line center)
Trevor Zegras (top prospect)
2020 1st no protection

OR

To hurricanes ——> Matthews
To leafs ——->. Pesce (1st pairing rhd)
Jordan stall (2nd line center)
Ryan suzuki (prospect).
Leafs 2020 1st

My thinking is Pesce—-> Manson.
Ana 1st—-> leafs 1st
Zegras——> suzuki
Stall. —> steel ( more defensively sound 2nd line center)

I’m not saying this trade would happen but as a leaf fan I would like to see something around this to take place. We have two number 1 centres and travares has NMC so he isn’t going anywhere. Marner doesn’t bring back what we need to be a complete team. And the prospects give us cheap young talent so we can use more cap space on defence.
I’m sure I’ll get blasted but you have to give to get and I would rather see a more complete team. Then what we have right now.
I’ll be honest and say I think Anaheim would be more willing to do this trade then the hurricanes since they are in rebuild and can build around matthews

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Matthews should not be traded. But if he is I’m betting he politely asks to go to Arizona...

Matthews

for

OEL
Hayton

Seriously though it’s very obvious the Leafs need to trade Nylander to shore up the defense (and save some cap space).

Nylander could likely land you a guy like Dumba, or Manson+

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Habs will offer you

KK - future first line stud two way centre
Petry - 1st pairing rhd in his prime
Juulsen - future top 4 d-man
1st rd unprotected pick 2021 (not this years as it is in Montreal)

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
Matthews should not be traded. But if he is I’m betting he politely asks to go to Arizona...

Matthews

for

OEL
Hayton

Seriously though it’s very obvious the Leafs need to trade Nylander to shore up the defense (and save some cap space).

Nylander could likely land you a guy like Dumba, or Manson+
I understand your thinking. I just don’t think that nylander lands you enough. I don’t think we are one defenceman away and by trading Matthews we not only get a top 4 rhd or (top pairing In pesce) we get other Assets that can be moved to get another all around defenceman. We have the puck movers. ( Reilly, dermott, Sandin)We don’t have those tough hard to play against in our own zone type that wins you hockey games. Muzzin being the exception. And by trading Matthews our center depth is still pretty good. Out marner back with travares and hyman. Nylander with johnsson and either stall or steel. Sign Spezza for another year have him with kerfoot and kappanen. And we have a revamped d where the other team has to fight for positioning not just skate to the open slot

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
um, no.
not even remotely close.

lock it up.

the leafs may have their warts, but trading one of the best goal scorers in the league isn't going to solve their other issues.
I’m not saying Matthews isn’t one of the best goal scorers in the league. But quality has to be given up To get quality back. And the leafs have proven we can’t out score our problems once February hits and teams start playing more tough defensively sound hockey. We need to be more of that tough defensively sound team

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Tell me why trade would you do and both to me are realistic. Yes we give up the best player but we make our team better and tougher to play against.

To the ducks ——> Matthews
To the leafs ——> Manson (top 4 rhd)
Sam steel ( 2nd line center)
Trevor Zegras (top prospect)
2020 1st no protection

OR

To hurricanes ——> Matthews
To leafs ——->. Pesce (1st pairing rhd)
Jordan stall (2nd line center)
Ryan suzuki (prospect).
Leafs 2020 1st

My thinking is Pesce—-> Manson.
Ana 1st—-> leafs 1st
Zegras——> suzuki
Stall. —> steel ( more defensively sound 2nd line center)

I’m not saying this trade would happen but as a leaf fan I would like to see something around this to take place. We have two number 1 centres and travares has NMC so he isn’t going anywhere. Marner doesn’t bring back what we need to be a complete team. And the prospects give us cheap young talent so we can use more cap space on defence.
I’m sure I’ll get blasted but you have to give to get and I would rather see a more complete team. Then what we have right now.
I’ll be honest and say I think Anaheim would be more willing to do this trade then the hurricanes since they are in rebuild and can build around matthews

Why wouldn't we just rebuild around zegras and our potential top 5 pick? Matthews could just walk in what 4 years? this is really bad for Anaheim.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
If toronto wants to win a cup they will need to trade Marner or Matthews for defense help
No they don’t. You don’t trade away your 2 best players if you want to win a Cup.

Example: Crosby/Malkin x3, Kane/Toews x3

What they should have done was not sign Tavares and gone after a stud D instead. But that’s in the past.

There is no easy fix, but the best course is trade Nylander for a top 4 D like Dumba, Manson, or Pesce. Let Barrie walk in FA and use that money to sign a 2nd line winger in FA.

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
Let’s get a couple things straight. I know and agree matthews is one of the top young players in the game. I know people will think trading him is ridiculous. And I’m all for different opinions. Tell me how we fix our team defence cause standing pat doesn’t work. Pretending we can out score everyone doesn’t work. Saying they will improve doesn’t work. Blaming injuries all teams have them. We have no toughness. I’m not talking fighting I’m talking hard to play against earn every inch of ice in the defensive zone toughness,team toughness that wins you playoff games and as much as I love Reilly he isn’t that player either. Nylander is a great player and has shown he is willing to score the dirty goals this year but he doesn’t get you that player. Marner is over paid and he is a great passer and playmaker but he doesn’t get you that defenceman and assets we need. So someone anyone please tell me what you would do. One great player doesn’t win you championships.

Reactions: BearsofBeantown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad