Value of: Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I realize that, but the proposed OP is an instant accept by every GM in the league.
So saying you wouldn't do it, is either flat wrong, or a troll job. Take your pick.
I've read a lot of your posts and they are almost all negative towards the leafs. Much like the majority of this place, you love to hate on us. Which is fine by me, but posting ridiculous take after ridiculous take out of hatred towards a team or it's fan base is meaningless. You can construct whatever argument you think will justify this, but it is what it is. Every team in the league wants AM and his 11+M cap hit. Saying you wouldn't trade for him is just silly.
Anaheim is a team with an internal cap most of the time... 11.6 mil for 1 player, is rough.... it would cripple us.... and at the same time you want us to give up zegras/steel our 1st this year(which could end up anywhere from 1-7), and manson? So now we have no center depth, we have no RHD... we have no 1st, and we have less cap space to fix all these issues.

I mean sure if we just wanted to sell tickets for people to watch Matthews score than ya, great move.... but we likely want to build a competitive team.

As for your 2nd ignorant part, I watch a lot of leaf games... and I have plenty of decent conversations with leaf fans(im a hockey fan in general, not just a ducks fan so I watch any hockey I can)… I dislike majority of the leafs fan base on these boards because they are obnoxious, like yourself. You are upset because I don't agree with your opinions... and you take that as me hating on a team, very ignorant of you.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I could understand worrying about a guy walking in a year or 2, but 4 years is a long time to control a player
Not when you traded your future, upped your cap spending and created a bunch of holes in your line up.

We have very little to surround Matthews with, when those pieces are gone. Well be stuck being mediocre until he walks in 4 years.

If I felt like we were a Matthews away from being a legit contender, sure I make the move... but I don't think we are... so id pass.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I could understand worrying about a guy walking in a year or 2, but 4 years is a long time to control a player
4 years isnt a long time when youre in a rebuild. you need to draft the players and develop the players. some develop quicker then others, some dont develop at all. and that not even including what it would they would have to give up to get that player. i can understand why teams wouldnt trade for him but rather do their own drafting and developing.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I realize that, but the proposed OP is an instant accept by every GM in the league.
So saying you wouldn't do it, is either flat wrong, or a troll job. Take your pick.
I've read a lot of your posts and they are almost all negative towards the leafs. Much like the majority of this place, you love to hate on us. Which is fine by me, but posting ridiculous take after ridiculous take out of hatred towards a team or it's fan base is meaningless. You can construct whatever argument you think will justify this, but it is what it is. Every team in the league wants AM and his 11+M cap hit. Saying you wouldn't trade for him is just silly.
big differnce in wanting auston matthews and actually giving up the value to get him, especially rebuilding teams.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Trading Matthews would be the dumbest thing ever.

Tavares is clearly starting to slow down whether some Leaf fans wants to admit it or not and it could only potentially get worse as the game keeps getting faster and hes not very fleet of foot.

If you traded Matthews and with a ageing Tavares, the center depth would be absolutely horrendous.

This guy is already on pace to win the rocket trophy in only his 4th season and hes a huge kid that will keep getting bigger and stronger.

You trade the other 3 way before you even entertain the idea of trading your best player who is amazing at doing the most impactfull thing (scoring goals).

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Here’s what I want if Toronto trades their franchise player

2 firsts
2 grade A prospects: fwd and D
A top 9 player

or

Top line player
Top 4 dman+

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't know about that but don't think the Leafs would trade Matthews for a struggling OEL and Keller.

Keller wouldn't struggle for long if he was put on a line with Tavares and Marner

OEL is the big question mark. For a supposed top 10 D-man, he sure is on the ice for a lot of goals against at even strength

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Trading Matthews would be the dumbest thing ever.

Tavares is clearly starting to slow down whether some Leaf fans wants to admit it or not and it could only potentially get worse as the game keeps getting faster and hes not very fleet of foot.

If you traded Matthews and with a ageing Tavares, the center depth would be absolutely horrendous.

This guy is already on pace to win the rocket trophy in only his 4th season and hes a huge kid that will keep getting bigger and stronger.

You trade the other 3 way before you even entertain the idea of trading your best player who is amazing at doing the most impactfull thing (scoring goals).
Tavares will be fine. He’s 29 and just under a point per game.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
big differnce in wanting auston matthews and actually giving up the value to get him, especially rebuilding teams.
so rebuilding teams don't want a young prolific goal scorer to build around? am I reading this right?

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
so rebuilding teams don't want a young prolific goal scorer to build around? am I reading this right?
That's not what he's saying you goon. He's saying he would love to have Auston Matthews, but the price to get him would be so high that it wouldn't be worth it. Basically something like all your best prospects and 3-4 1st rounders for the next 3-4 years. Jesus, english is not that hard, this is why no one respects the Leafs on this forum.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
That's not what he's saying you goon. He's saying he would love to have Auston Matthews, but the price to get him would be so high that it wouldn't be worth it. Basically something like all your best prospects and 3-4 1st rounders for the next 3-4 years. Jesus, english is not that hard, this is why no one respects the Leafs on this forum.
That is not what is being discussed. Read the OP.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Here’s what I want if Toronto trades their franchise player

2 firsts
2 grade A prospects: fwd and D
A top 9 player

or

Top line player
Top 4 dman+
ok

2 1sts from Philly
Brink and York/Zamula
Hayes-for cap reasons and to be the C replacement that is good defensively and great on the PK

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
ok

2 1sts from Philly
Brink and York/Zamula
Hayes-for cap reasons and to be the C replacement that is good defensively and great on the PK

Ummm...Philly says NO.

I'll hold onto York and our 1sts.

Hayes can waived and picked up by whoever lmfao

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not sure why this hasn't been locked (actually I know full well...) but he's not available so this thread is pointless. You may find the odd insane Leaf fan that does not grasp how special he is but I'm sure Dubas does.

Try your luck with McDavid, or maybe Eichel or MacKinnon and you'll see why franchise player proposals are poor form.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I didn't even read the offers as I am sure they are not even close to what it would take for the Leafs to trade him. You want a point of reference of what it would take to trade him at age 22? Look at what the Flyers gave up for Lindros and you have your starting point. Remember Lindros had not played a game in the NHL when the Flyers paid that price. Matthews is only 22 and is challenging OV for the scoring title.
To even suggest that you need to move Matthews and it is not some absurd offer then it means only a couple of things.
You are Trolling.
You are just a casual fan that has no real concept of player value.
You are a panicky fan that needs to turn off his radio and stop listening to the talking heads on sports radio
You are a complete idiot that needs to be medically sterilized so that you do not breed and weaken the gene pool further.

You are free to pick which of the above fits your OP best.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Mathews value is high. His cap hit is high too. Toronto would have to take back similar Salary. Jack Eichel , Mikko Rantanen , Leon draisaitl and so on. These players would have to be apart of the return for Mathews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad