Matthews vs Draisaitl: Better player to build around

Who would you rather build around? Matthews, or Draisaitl?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Kinda yes until this year. He has good defensive metrics this year. And is rumored to be in the selke running. I'd say he should finish top 15 but he may get overrated and finish top 7.
Him being good in his end doesn't close the gap considering Drai is capable of playing defense as well.

I have no clue about the Selke. This is the first time I'm hearing this.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
it's close. In a vacuum I take Matthews but factoring in contracts, give me Draisaitl.
The analytics guy for Kingston (link to page below) recently ranked his top 20 centers, wingers and defensemen, and Draisaitl and Matthews came in as his 5th and 6th best center in the league.
Certainly close.

Bryce Chevallier (L'Architecte) (@FauxCentre) on Twitter

View attachment 351254 View attachment 351255
I'd say defense and playmaking are weaknesses for Matthews.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Him being good in his end doesn't close the gap considering Drai is capable of playing defense as well.

I have no clue about the Selke. This is the first time I'm hearing this.
I still said drai. I was just answering ur question. Also regardless of what drai could do his defensive metrics were god awful this year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Draisaitl is great on his own and makes others around him a lot better. Matthews is great on his own but I don't think he makes others better around him to the extent that Drai does.

Either way, it's close. I know some will say that Drai is much better because of his explosion this season but I also think Matthews gets a bit underrated (believe it or not) on HF because the media and Leafs Nation Matthews hype irritates non-Leafs HF posters.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Matthews. Doesnt need the best player in the league for a point boost.

He separated from everybody in the Art Ross race away from McDavid and was also a massive plus player so.... Unless you think that his point boost was due to RNH and Yamamoto.
And FTR, he drove the McDavid line for long stretches before they were split.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Drasaitl is the better player offensively right now, for sure.

But I think Matthews will end up the better player. Not only will he be a constant 50-goal-a-year threat, but he's already showing very good defensive ability, which Drasaitl simply does not.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Not to duck on this but it depends on what you value more.

Matthews has that lethal shot is clearly stronger defensively but would probably benefit more (i.e. produce more) from have complimentary linemates. Draisaitl is better at driving offense overall (creating plays, passing and as that graphic on P2 pointed out, zone exits). And yeah, he can shoot too.

Now that I think about it, they are pretty much perfect compliments to each other; Together they would be an absolutely terrifying duo to face. Personally, I'd go with Draisaitl by a whisker as I believe Matthews' success would be more dependent on who he is surrounded with.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He separated from everybody in the Art Ross race away from McDavid and was also a massive plus player so.... Unless you think that his point boost was due to RNH and Yamamoto.
And FTR, he drove the McDavid line for long stretches before they were split.
upload_2020-6-24_15-3-29.png

upload_2020-6-24_15-3-51.png

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I would go with Draisaitl, because I would take the actual production, and established level of elite-ness over the potential that may or may not happen.

Here are Matthews and Drai's league-wide point and goal per game rankings since they became full time NHLers:

Season #YearMatthews - P/GPMatthews G/GP Season #YearDraisaitl P/GPDraisaitl G/GP
116/17284 114/15N/AN/A
217/18212 215/167294
318/19217 316/171037
419/20144 417/184174
518/1942
619/2015
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

You can see that Draisaitl (other than his 17/18 season) has had great progress every year of his career, whereas Matthews has not really progressed as a goalscorer, and only marginally as a point producer. I find unreasonable to just state "Matthews is 2 years younger so he will get better and continue to get better compared to the league", because it is totally possible he stays in the 10-20 range in points, and 2-7 range in goals.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would take the sure thing in Draisaitl. He is already a back to back 100 + player, he can score goals equally as well as setting up goals, and he has a physical edge to his game.

Matthews may equal Draisaitl at some point. But I am not sure he will ever be as good as Draisaitl is at making his teammates better as evidenced in both players assists totals. He may, but one has to take the sure thing right now.

Draisaitl is a 50 goal scorer, and Art Ross trophy winner. To outscore McDavid on the same team in actual points and PPG says something about Leon as a player.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
it's close. In a vacuum I take Matthews but factoring in contracts, give me Draisaitl.
The analytics guy for Kingston (link to page below) recently ranked his top 20 centers, wingers and defensemen, and Draisaitl and Matthews came in as his 5th and 6th best center in the league.
Certainly close.

Do you happen to know where to find graphs like these? I knew I saw this somewhere on twitter but couldnt find it. Shows Matthews is elite defensively, to much dismay of leaf haters.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted Draisaitl.

I'm super high on Matthews - and for past couple of years now he'd be my #2 to build around after McDavid (yes, above even MacKinnon for a few reasons). But - it's hard for me to ignore Drai's season this year. His raw offensive output was absolutely ridiculous. I think a year form now we'll get a better sense if this season was simply a perfect storm/fluke, or if he can repeat that ~115-120+ point pace. But for now - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and pick him first.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would take the sure thing in Draisaitl. He is already a back to back 100 + player, he can score goals equally as well as setting up goals, and he has a physical edge to his game.

Matthews may equal Draisaitl at some point. But I am not sure he will ever be as good as Draisaitl is at making his teammates better as evidenced in both players assists totals. He may, but one has to take the sure thing right now.

Draisaitl is a 50 goal scorer, and Art Ross trophy winner. To outscore McDavid on the same team in actual points and PPG says something about Leon as a player.
Has Draisaitl ever had an assist like this?

So you can not say Matthews doesn't setup goals for his teammates.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Certainly close.

Do you happen to know where to find graphs like these? I knew I saw this somewhere on twitter but couldnt find it. Shows Matthews is elite defensively, to much dismay of leaf haters.

These same graphs show that Matthews is Couturier is better defensively and they’re determined by the subjective opinion of the author rather than objective evidence.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think you have to go with Draisaitl.

I think Matthews is probably the better talent, his shot is filthy. Draisaitl just seems more mature, more driven, more committed to me and has a more rounded game. He has continuously gotten better. Matthews while talented, is much more inconsistent.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Ok and ???

The RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto line was one of the best in the NHL in 2020.
RNH was a top 10 scorer in the NHL in 2020 and Yamamoto a PPG player (almost exclusively at even strength) on Draisaitl's wing. His point boost increased away from McDavid so...
This Draisaitl is a product of McDavid BS needs to stop. It's idiotic.
Just looked at his game logs. Mcdavid was involved in 51 of his points. He is still a great scorer, but to ignore Connor freakin Mcdavid as a factor cant be neglected.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
These same graphs show that Matthews is Couturier is better defensively and they’re determined by the subjective opinion of the author rather than objective evidence.
I'm not saying he is that good. But Matthews is a very good defensive player. The whole "loafer" thing is ridiculous. Didnt Babcock say he could be a top defensive center one day?

Not saying he is what he isnt. But he has the upper hand on Draisaitl no doubt. I dont like +/- as a stat, but can we really ignore Draisaitl leading the league in points with 110 and still being a -7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad