Matthews vs Draisaitl: Better player to build around

Who would you rather build around? Matthews, or Draisaitl?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don’t think that’s necessary. Homer voters still stealth vote in the wrong section when that happens lol
I still don't know whether I should laugh or cry when I see poster TeamXFan voting under the neutral categories on those polls.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just to add to their goal scoring. Matthews has outscored Draisaitl in 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2019-20.

The only time Draisaitl scored more goals than Matthews was the 2018-19 season when he had 50 goals and Matthews had 37 goals. However that same year Matthews only played in 68 games because of injury.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Matthews. He's been better offensively over their careers (comparing seasons at each age) and he's better defensively too.

I do think Matthews will have trouble topping Drai's season this year offensively, as would any other player. However, I don't think Drai will be able to repeat a season like this again, so I'd take the risk and build around Matthews.

That’s what we thought last year: draisaitl would regress. Whoops.

Matthews outscored Draisaitl with 47 goals this past season.

wow, a four goal difference!

Draisaitl had 30 more points. Why do you leave that out?

Too bad this poll isn’t asking who outscored who by 4 goals :laugh:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So what it can't be mentioned that Matthews is the better goal scorer with the exception of last season.
Oilers fans know Matthews has the better shot and is the better skater. Aside from that, I'd give everything else to Drai. Smarter, better vision, better passer, more durable, and cheaper. Defensively neither are great. But both will improve over time.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I like Matthews and wouldn't trade him straight up, but I can't disagree with anyone preferring Draisaitl after showing he can produce away from McDavid.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Oilers fans know Matthews has the better shot and is the better skater. Aside from that, I'd give everything else to Drai. Smarter, better vision, better passer, more durable, and cheaper. Defensively neither are great. But both will improve over time.

matthews is miles better than Drai defensively. Don’t be disingenuous. Drai is cheaper, and clearly a better playmaker/passer, but matthews is just as clearly a better defender, and is also better when it comes to goal scoring (however by a smaller gap)

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Gonna go with the much better overall player whose scored 50, 100+ points, won an Art Ross, most likely win the Hart and just plays on a different level.

One trick ponies are great, if that's all you have along with obscure stats, hopes and dreams but there's probably 8-10 players I'd take ahead of Matthews.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Draisaitl is averaging two minutes more per game while being relied upon far more heavily for offense, is defensively inept, and is two years older

37% of his ES points were with McDavid. 47% of his PP points were with McDavid.

Ill take Matthews since hes the more well rounded player and a better goal scorer. Draisaitl was a -7 player after scoring 110 points... that says a LOT

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Goals are not the only metric to judge with. Hyman scored more goals than Marner. Who is the better hockey player?
So if Draisaitl didn't score more goals than Matthews over his career and not during the 2018-19 season, you don't think it's something Oilers fans would use as another reason why he is better?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So if Draisaitl didn't score more goals than Matthews over his career and not during the 2018-19 season, you don't think it's something Oilers fans would use as another reason why he is better?
I don’t care, nor would value what oilers fans would use as an argument if it’s a silly one as well.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He has yet to do so, so I see no reason for me to assume he will going forward. The safe assumption is that he will continue to be what he has been the last two years. A top 5-ish player on offense, and below average or worse on defense.

And if you need to sacrifice your defense to score more points, then that means your offense is not as good as advertised.

He has done so, just for 3 months instead of a full season. He seems far more committed when he's the centerpiece with 2 actual top 6 players rather than tag teaming with McDavid, and he would be as the franchise player on a team. And I think the defensive effort stemmed more from saving energy for big minutes rather than sacrificing defense for offense. I understand the question of what version of himself he'll be going forward, but I think he's shown the higher potential. I'm not really trying to convince you of anything, just extending the conversation because I agree with a lot of the initial points you brought up.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
it's close. In a vacuum I take Matthews but factoring in contracts, give me Draisaitl.
The analytics guy for Kingston (link to page below) recently ranked his top 20 centers, wingers and defensemen, and Draisaitl and Matthews came in as his 5th and 6th best center in the league.
Certainly close.

Bryce Chevallier (L'Architecte) (@FauxCentre) on Twitter

EXcMjXQUcAAtJyS.jpeg
EXbtPVYU8AAd5pq.jpeg

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Drai is the better player today, but at the same age, he was worse than AM. A lot can happen in a couple years, and that's how much older Drai is.

I homer voted Matthews, and I expect Drai to win this, but the arguments levied against Matthews as a player a weak.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
You’re voting Matthews because he scored four goals in his first NHL game, four years ago. This is the most irrelevant reason to vote for Matthews.

Yes, he proves that he could lead a team so well, that the Leafs signed a center to be the captain. What great logic @LeafsNation75, bravo!

It’s Draisaitl and rather easily. Does most things Matthews does, but better. Especially production.

...but not defense.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
You’re voting Matthews because he scored four goals in his first NHL game, four years ago. This is the most irrelevant reason to vote for Matthews.

Yes, he proves that he could lead a team so well, that the Leafs signed a center to be the captain. What great logic @LeafsNation75, bravo!

It’s Draisaitl and rather easily. Does most things Matthews does, but better. Especially production.
wish i was able to like posts

Reactions: GreeningOil

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The way I see it Oilers fans hate it when Matthews happens to be better in a stat category if one of their players is not.

Nah I just hate it when people focus on one stat where their guy is barely better in and ignore the larger picture.

Oh well, I guess my guy didn’t score 4 more goals. Guess I’ll have to settle with the Art Ross and likely Hart Trophy. Damn.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Where did this narrative of Matthews being good at defense come from? Wasn't he getting killed for his horrific effort both off the puck and in his own end pretty much since he played his first game?

Where on earth did this come from?

And for those using +/- against Drai. LMAOOO

Reactions: dukeofjive

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Also goal scoring gap is a lil bigger then most give credit. Since drai broke out in 16/17 hes averaging 38.5 goals a game per 82.
Matthew's is averaging 46 per 82 since his rookie year.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Where did this narrative of Matthews being good at defense come from? Wasn't he getting killed for his horrific effort both off the puck and in his own end pretty much since he played his first game?

Where on earth did this come from?

And for those using +/- against Drai. LMAOOO
Kinda yes until this year. He has good defensive metrics this year. And is rumored to be in the selke running. I'd say he should finish top 15 but he may get overrated and finish top 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia