Matthews vs Draisaitl: Better player to build around

Who would you rather build around? Matthews, or Draisaitl?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Given the choice would you rather build your team around Matthews, or Draisaitl?

upload_2020-6-24_10-35-45.gif

upload_2020-6-24_10-37-56.gif

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Draisaitl is the better player right now. I have him 5th best in the league after McDavid, kuch, MacKinnon, and Crosby and he can climb to 2nd if he puts up another dominant season.

Draisaitl only exploded though in his 5th full season. Before that he was a great player for 2 years but not a top 15 guy.

Matthews is a fringe top 10 player right now. In the 8-12 range depending on what you prefer. I have him 9th personally. We need to see if matthews can have the monster breakout that draisaitl (and other stars like mack, kuch, kane, eichel) had in their 5th seasons. Next year will determine if my answer changes.

Right now due to age advantage and personal Hope's of matthews having the ability to become a 60 goal 105+ point strong 2 way center I would take him. However if he sticks to be an elite 50 goal and 95ish point guy I'll take draisaitl even though I'm not expecting 130 point seasons again from him.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews because from his first NHL game he proved he can lead a team.

Even though Draisaitl has become a great player today, a lot of his production was because of Connor McDavid helping him early on in his careerr.

Reactions: Voight

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Matthews because from his first NHL game he proved he can lead a team.

Even though Draisaitl has become a great player today, a lot of his production was because of Connor McDavid helping him early on in his careerr.
You’re voting Matthews because he scored four goals in his first NHL game, four years ago. This is the most irrelevant reason to vote for Matthews.

Yes, he proves that he could lead a team so well, that the Leafs signed a center to be the captain. What great logic @LeafsNation75, bravo!

It’s Draisaitl and rather easily. Does most things Matthews does, but better. Especially production.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I pick Matthews pretty clearly.

Draisaitl's offense has absolutely EXPLODED the last two years, and I think its easy to say that he is offensively better than Matthews at the moment. However Matthews is the better goal scorer, especially at even strength, which shrinks the gap slightly.

For me though, the big difference is defense. Draisaitl is awful defensively, and by a number of advanced metrics was actually among the worst forwards in his own zone last season. Matthews on the other hand went from being an average defender before to having a great defensive season last year (but no, he was not a selke center last season despite what some say).

Matthews is also younger.

The only thing that makes me second guess is contracts, but IMO I would still rather build around Matthews at 11.5 over Drai at 8.5

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I pick Matthews pretty clearly.

Draisaitl's offense has absolutely EXPLODED the last two years, and I think its easy to say that he is offensively better than Matthews at the moment. However Matthews is the better goal scorer, especially at even strength, which shrinks the gap slightly.

For me though, the big difference is defense. Draisaitl is awful defensively, and by a number of advanced metrics was actually among the worst forwards in his own zone last season. Matthews on the other hand went from being an average defender before to having a great defensive season last year (but no, he was not a selke center last season despite what some say).

Matthews is also younger.

The only thing that makes me second guess is contracts, but IMO I would still rather build around Matthews at 11.5 over Drai at 8.5

I think being paired with McDavid on a team that needed them to gun for offense and overplayed them because of it, caused them both to be too lax on defense when paired together the past couple seasons, and Draisaitl in particular had an awful December defensively. When he was paired with RNH and Yamamoto in the new year though, that ended up being the best line in hockey and Draisaitl's defensive numbers were good, while maintaining his offense. It's concerning that a guy you're taking for your franchise player would take a month off and his defensive results certainly undercut his production to make this a lot closer than some people think, but I think Draisaitl certainly has the ability to play above average defense, it's just a question of whether he will.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Matthews. He's been better offensively over their careers (comparing seasons at each age) and he's better defensively too.

I do think Matthews will have trouble topping Drai's season this year offensively, as would any other player. However, I don't think Drai will be able to repeat a season like this again, so I'd take the risk and build around Matthews.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think they have pretty similar value moving forward, so I thought it would make for some good discussion.

My pick is Draisaitl, but I definitely had to think about it.

I think Matthews is probably going to remain the better defensive player, and seeing as he’s only 22, I could see him taking his game to another level over the next couple years.

I also think Matthews offensive tools are a little better than Draisaitl. I’d give the edge to him in terms of skating and hands. Both have ridiculous shots that are right near the top of the league.

Where I think Draisaitl separates himself from Matthews right now, is his vision in the offensive zone. Leon’s got a little Crosby in him, in terms of processing the game super-fast, and knowing where the holes are in the O-Zone. Draisaitl is also better at using his big frame to box out and create space for himself.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I think being paired with McDavid on a team that needed them to gun for offense and overplayed them because of it, caused them both to be too lax on defense when paired together the past couple seasons, and Draisaitl in particular had an awful December defensively. When he was paired with RNH and Yamamoto in the new year though, that ended up being the best line in hockey and Draisaitl's defensive numbers were good, while maintaining his offense. It's concerning that a guy you're taking for your franchise player would take a month off and his defensive results certainly undercut his production to make this a lot closer than some people think, but I think Draisaitl certainly has the ability to play above average defense, it's just a question of whether he will.

He has yet to do so, so I see no reason for me to assume he will going forward. The safe assumption is that he will continue to be what he has been the last two years. A top 5-ish player on offense, and below average or worse on defense.

And if you need to sacrifice your defense to score more points, then that means your offense is not as good as advertised.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He has yet to do so, so I see no reason for me to assume he will going forward. The safe assumption is that he will continue to be what he has been the last two years. A top 5-ish player on offense, and below average or worse on defense.

And if you need to sacrifice your defense to score more points, then that means your offense is not as good as advertised.
So if Draisaitl decided to become as good as Matthews defensively his points would have dropped from 110 to 100 points. Matthews had 80 points. That's still 20 points separation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad