Matthews vs Draisaitl: Better player to build around

Who would you rather build around? Matthews, or Draisaitl?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Matthews is not known for his 2-way play. Stop it. He was getting killed since his first year about being lazy in his own end and off the puck.

No he wasn’t. He was a take away machine his rookie year and still is. Last year he caught some flak but it’s because of the concussion and shoulder injury. Matthews plays an excellent 2 way game, especially for a 22 year old.

Anyways that’s enough posting for me, have a good night.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Drai is 10 on that list. Not much of an argument considering his greater exertion on offense
You claimed Matthews wasn't good defensively and I proved you to be wrong with that link showing Matthews tied for 2nd in the takeaway category.

If it was the opposite where Draisaitl was tied for 2nd and Matthews was 10th in takeaways, I'm sure your opinion would be a lot different.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
You claimed Matthews wasn't good defensively and I proved you to be wrong with that link showing Matthews tied for 2nd in the takeaway category.

If it was the opposite where Draisaitl was tied for 2nd and Matthews was 10th in takeaways, I'm sure your opinion would be a lot different.
but takeaways isn't the best barometer for defense. steph curry lead the league in steals in 2016 and no one is calling him a defender.

top-10 is top-10

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
but takeaways isn't the best barometer for defense. steph curry lead the league in steals in 2016 and no one is calling him a defender.

top-10 is top-10
There is a difference being tied for 2nd like Matthews and 10th where Draisaitl was.

On that same list Mitch Marner was 8th, so it's another Maple Leafs player who was better in that same category than Draisaitl.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
There is a difference being tied for 2nd like Matthews and 10th where Draisaitl was.

On that same list Mitch Marner was 8th, so it's another Maple Leafs player who was better in that same category than Draisaitl.
I chalk that up to Drai exerting more energy on offense because he has to.

Idk why you brought up Marner tbh

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
a team >>> a line
Teammates are irrelevant to his production if he is not playing with them.
Whoops, 25 can be added. Point still stands. That is usually the time frame.
More accurately, the time-frame is usually around 24-26 for forwards, with not as much drop-off for players of this level, especially through their 20s. Matthews is 22. There is no reason to believe he has peaked in ability, and there is so much room for increases in opportunity.
I highly highly doubt it. Scoring 60 isn't some easy feat and he first needs to prove that he can score 50 (doesn't get the benefit of the doubt like OV). I see him more as a 55-45 player at his absolute best, and I highly doubt 100 points will win the Ross with the players in this league
He paced 55 goals and 94 points this year, in a relatively down year, before his prime, without the opportunities that most others get. Small samples, but he paced 58 goals under Keefe while averaging only about 3 minutes of PP time per game, and 63 goals with Marner on his line.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

More accurately, the time-frame is usually around 24-26 for forwards, with not as much drop-off for players of this level, especially through their 20s. Matthews is 22. There is no reason to believe he has peaked in ability, and there is so much room for increases in opportunity.

He paced 55 goals and 94 points this year, in a relatively down year, before his prime, without the opportunities that most others get. Small samples, but he paced 58 goals under Keefe while averaging only about 3 minutes of PP time per game, and 63 goals with Marner on his line.
Matthews is in his prime.

Forwards are in their primes at much younger ages these days.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

So what you're saying is he needs marner on his line?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That's why Draisaitl has been part of the best line in hockey, without McDavid on his line.
That line had a ridiculously unsustainable OISH% and OISV% while together for their small sample.
Matthews is in his prime.
He is not.
So what you're saying is he needs marner on his line?
No, I showed how getting more normal opportunity compared to his peers can help increase raw production beyond his already elite level, before we even get into improvements in ability as he enters his prime. That pace was actually while having an injured wrist for multiple weeks too.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That line had a ridiculously unsustainable OISH% and OISV% while together for their small sample.

He is not.

No, I showed how getting more normal opportunity compared to his peers can help increase raw production beyond his already elite level, before we even get into improvements in ability as he enters his prime. That pace was actually while having an injured wrist for multiple weeks too.
Look up elite forwards.

Their prime is early 20's.

He is in his prime.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I have looked up elite forwards. You are wrong. He is not in his prime at 22, and there is no reason to believe he has peaked. He will still see improvement in ability and opportunity moving forward.
Do you know the difference between peak and prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad