Matthews + Stamkos or Laine + Stamkos

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I know this is just fantasy but it's a poll question really.

If on June 25th the Leafs have the #1 overall pick and Stamkos is going to be UFA on July 1 what do you do?

Think about the whats best for the franchise long term.

1) Do you trade down and draft Laine and sign Stamkos?

2) Do you draft Matthews and sign Stamkos?

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
What's best for the franchise is #2, you finally get some good luck from the hockey gods, best not spurn them.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I dont necessarily disagree with TB that Stamkos might be better as a winger. Top centres tend to be very very good to elite playmakers, which Stamkos simply isnt. He's a sniper with ok playmaking skills and questionable defensive ability, and those players tend to make more sense on the wing.

so I would take the two-way centre with size in Matthews.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Worst case Matthews is a dynamic winger with a wicked wrister and beautiful one timer, best case is he's the next Toews.

I like Laine but Matthews is a stud and would look great with whoever he'd play with.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews and Stamkos.

But in a perfect fantasy world, Matthews and Laine.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Matthews + Stamkos would be unreal

With Nylander + Matthews + Stamkos as potential centers going into next year. We would have the ability to grow those 2 (Nylander and Matthews) and not throw them into the burner like others have done in their build.

JvR-Nylander-Stamkos (Stamkos plays both wing and C - takes the workload off)
Komarov-Kadri-Matthews (Kadri and Matthews split - he can even shift to 3C for more development)
Vet (Michalek?)-Holland-Marner (Matthews comes down to play some mins, Marner can go up)

Would be a great development year, if we get Matthews and Stamkos. I would be the most excited Leaf fan.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Stamkos can help Nylander transition to the NHL next year and then slowly shift to the wing as Willy is ready to take over.

Obviously Matthews over Laine

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You don't pass on special talents like Matthews. I won't call him a generational player because that term has kind of become meaningless, you cannot have more than one every 20 years for it to be generational.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not sure I can vote on this one. If you have 1st overall you use it but then do I want stamkos if I have mathews and Nylander in the system?
Also, I'm really big on Laine so this one has my head spinning.
How about we draft mathews and trade stamkos for the second overall and draft Laine? Hahaha

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If we get the number 1 pick overall. Matthews is from Arizona right??? What about this????

Arizona is going to fall as they have no goalies left. They will fall into the bottom 5 by end of season.

What if we win draft lottery and Arizona gets the 2nd-5th pick overall???

Arizona will want their hometown hero... so.....

We trade our first overall selection to Arizona for our hometown kid.

1st Overall Pick (Matthews)
Joffery Lupul (no salary retained)
B Prospect

for

2nd-5th Overall Pick (Laine, Pllyjarvi, Nylander)
Max Domi
2nd Round Pick '17
3rd Round Pick '16

Does it work???

Listen in the end adding a prospect in the top 5 this season and Max Domi to Nylander and Marner is better then Matthews alone. Not to mention the cost someone like Arizona would pay in future picks it adds to the rebuild. We can dump a contract that Arizona can either keep to stay at salary cap floor or buyout cause they can.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If we get the number 1 pick overall. Matthews is from Arizona right??? What about this????

Arizona is going to fall as they have no goalies left. They will fall into the bottom 5 by end of season.

B Prospect

for

Max Domi
2nd Round Pick '17
3rd Round Pick '16

Does it work???

Listen in the end adding a prospect in the top 5 this season and Max Domi to Nylander and Marner is better then Matthews alone. Not to mention the cost someone like Arizona would pay in future picks it adds to the rebuild. We can dump a contract that Arizona can either keep to stay at salary cap floor or buyout cause they can.

I would rather have Dvo than Domi. Adjust the trade as needed but I'm not giving up he 1st overall without a serious hall. Plus it would still have to be a top 3 pick coming back to us. After the finns there is a drop in talent.
So Dvorak (or strome) + 2nd or 3rd overall and I'm thinking about it.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'm confused. This is essentially asking if you'd prefer Matthews or Laine (Matthews all the way) while signing Stamkos in both scenarios.

You'd have to provide a basis of what trading down from 1 to 2 would illicit in a trade to make this complete to really answer this.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

B Prospect

for

Max Domi
2nd Round Pick '17
3rd Round Pick '16

Does it work???

It's like you're trying to do Arizona a favour. OEL has to be in the package for the #1 overall pick, if they want it. #1 picks don't get traded, especially not for that sub par package. Come on. Why should the Leafs be looking to trade that pick, if they get it? Arizona should be coming to us asking for it, not the other way around. Like I said, I am not giving up the #1 overall pick to Arizona unless OEL is coming back to us. And even then, I am holding on to that pick.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I'm confused. This is essentially asking if you'd prefer Matthews or Laine (Matthews all the way) while signing Stamkos in both scenarios.

You'd have to provide a basis of what trading down from 1 to 2 would illicit in a trade to make this complete to really answer this.

No, its not simply Matthews or Laine. If you trade down to #2 you get picks and or prospects in that trade.

So really its Matthews or Laine ++

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

B Prospect

for

Max Domi
2nd Round Pick '17
3rd Round Pick '16

Does it work???

When X Team held the first overall pick and a GTA born superstar was available, did any of them ever feel obligated to trade the pick to the Leafs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad