Matthews + Stamkos or Laine + Stamkos

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Jeez, why didn't we offer Edmonton JvR+Nylander+4th overall for McDavid? Both of them are sub par offers for the 1st overall pick. Nobody moves 1st overall picks and I'll be damned if Toronto will be the first one to do so.

Burke traded the 1st OA when he drafted the Sedin twins.

And I'm pretty sure it's happened since then too.

Also McDavid > Eichel >>>> anything else. That was a clear generational talent.

Matthews isn't on the same level and Laine is right there in terms of value. If PHX had the 2OA then the package makes a lot of sense to consider.

The Yotes would probably really want to add Matthews because he is PHX born/raised.

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
Genuinely curious, when was the last time a 1st overall was traded? Lindros? You're looking at an enormous over-payment to get #1 overall. You're looking at getting their first in return, 1-2+ top prospects and a solid NHLer or two to come back the other way. I don't think there are any teams willing to gut what they have to trade up. Bottom feeding teams like us are in no position to be giving up a considerable amount of assets for their own rebuild to acquire #1. Best case scenario if we won #1, we just take Matthews and continue on.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why?? He's high-skill, London On, so Hunter knows him... I would think the Leafs would be all over this type of deal.

Makes sense for both sides.

The only problem is managing fan reaction to trading the 1st OA, regardless of how great the value is.

Could see the Leafs working to add OEL to the mix though.

Perhaps JVR/OEL?

Exactly.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Obviously Matthews is the #1 best case scenario.

Aside from him, I think Patrik Laine fits our prospect group the best for being a winger. He's able to play the left side I believe and he looks to have an elite shot/finishing ability which would mesh well with our current top prospects being more inclined towards elite playmaking. That being said, there's no way I complain if we end up with Pulj instead, as he is terrific as well.

As far as Stamkos, I'm not interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad