Matthews + Stamkos or Laine + Stamkos

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
When X Team held the first overall pick and a GTA born superstar was available, did any of them ever feel obligated to trade the pick to the Leafs?

Seriously, this. Matthews is not getting traded unless OEL, Strome, and multiple 1sts are included.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If we get the number 1 pick overall. Matthews is from Arizona right??? What about this????

Arizona is going to fall as they have no goalies left. They will fall into the bottom 5 by end of season.

What if we win draft lottery and Arizona gets the 2nd-5th pick overall???

Arizona will want their hometown hero... so.....

We trade our first overall selection to Arizona for our hometown kid.

1st Overall Pick (Matthews)
Joffery Lupul (no salary retained)
B Prospect

for

2nd-5th Overall Pick (Laine, Pllyjarvi, Nylander)
Max Domi
2nd Round Pick '17
3rd Round Pick '16

Does it work???

Listen in the end adding a prospect in the top 5 this season and Max Domi to Nylander and Marner is better then Matthews alone. Not to mention the cost someone like Arizona would pay in future picks it adds to the rebuild. We can dump a contract that Arizona can either keep to stay at salary cap floor or buyout cause they can.

Zero interest in Domi, pretty confident the Leafs agree.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I said Matthews and Stamkos but I suppose what the "trade down" involved.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Seriously, this. Matthews is not getting traded unless OEL, Strome, and multiple 1sts are included.

The point of my post was to fast track the build at the expense of someone else's desire for home grown talent on their team.

If the deal isn't right that's fine, but would you be fine taking valuable assets off of Arizona's team, prospects, and draft picks if it gave the Leafs a better haul then just one player???

Maybe it's OEL or Strome or Dvorak or Domi. I don't care really. I just want multiple pieces to our rebuild instead of just Matthews. I think multiple pieces will get us over the top quicker then Matthews alone. Especially when you combine it with Marner and Nylander already givens to be special talents in the future.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The point of my post was to fast track the build at the expense of someone else's desire for home grown talent on their team.

If the deal isn't right that's fine, but would you be fine taking valuable assets off of Arizona's team, prospects, and draft picks if it gave the Leafs a better haul then just one player???

Maybe it's OEL or Strome or Dvorak or Domi. I don't care really. I just want multiple pieces to our rebuild instead of just Matthews. I think multiple pieces will get us over the top quicker then Matthews alone. Especially when you combine it with Marner and Nylander already givens to be special talents in the future.

I don't know about this line of thinking. In a few years if Matthews is a Kopitar in Arizona, you might find yourself with a couple of older Jordan Eberle level players. Take the quality and upside and just roll with it.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
I don't know about this line of thinking. In a few years if Matthews is a Kopitar in Arizona, you might find yourself with a couple of older Jordan Eberle level players. Take the quality and upside and just roll with it.

This.

Chicago and LA have proven time and time again that you win in this league with a core of 5-6 unbelievable players and interchangeable support pieces. For example,

Chicago has Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook that I consider as their core. LA has Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, Muzzin and Quick that I consider as their core. Lots of guys drop in and out, but those guys are absolutely foundational. For the Leafs then, we've got Nylander, Marner and Rielly who could aspire to be at that level. One of the three may not become that level of player, but it's a start. Adding a Matthews level talent gives you 4 core-level pieces. Like any other team, you hope guys step up, you hit a few homeruns, etc. Alternatively, trading Matthews for a Domi level talent just isn't smart. Matthews is as close to a sure-fire core piece as you can get.

I'm saying if we win the lotto, you take the #1C and run for the hills. Trading that for more lottery tickets is a smart strategy in the low-end of the 1st round, but just isn't intelligent with elite-level talents, hence why it rarely ever actually happens.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not sure why anyone would want to take the winger just because Stamkos is a possibility when at the draft Stamkos isn't a sure thing, he could still sign with anyone.

You take BPA Matthews and then if Stamkos is an option a week later that works too.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Trade Talk: Leafs could target Tavares down the line

Based on the article above, signing Stamkos and drafting Laine and moving down to get picks/prospects could be a good idea.

BUT, holy smokes is it me or has the talk of Toronto born players coming to Toronto really picked up.

Lineup would look great tho

Nylander-Tavares-Stamkos
XXXX-Matthews-JVR
Kapanen-Marner-XXXX
Komarov-Holland-Lindberg

honourable mentions:
Soshnikov, Nikita
Timashov, Dmytro

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Trade Talk: Leafs could target Tavares down the line

Based on the article above, signing Stamkos and drafting Laine and moving down to get picks/prospects could be a good idea.

BUT, holy smokes is it me or has the talk of Toronto born players coming to Toronto really picked up.

Lineup would look great tho

Nylander-Tavares-Stamkos
XXXX-Matthews-JVR
Kapanen-Marner-XXXX
Komarov-Holland-Lindberg

honourable mentions:
Soshnikov, Nikita
Timashov, Dmytro

The chances of getting SS and JT are pretty well ZERO!! Besides, I don't see how we could fit both of them under the cap, even if they wanted to come home. :(

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Regarding this poll, I think you have to go with the safe formula. You pick Matthews with the 1st OA and sign Stamkos a week later. :nod:

You also make Stamkos the face of the franchise (and captain), as well as #1C without hesitation. You keep him there and let Babcock work his magic by turning him into a more complete center. Nylander would be your #2C and Matthews your #3C.

As the years unfold, these centers can become interchangeable, or you can look at moving one of them to the wing. The depth down the middle would be unparalleled!! :nod::yo::D:handclap::)

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I still think the best way to go is to trade #1 overall for lower top 5 pick. Turn that pick into 2 future assets instead of one. The draft next year is no sure thing that we will have a lottery pick. If Stamkos comes home it can make us a fringe playoff team under Babcock.

So this is the year to get to young prospects to give your younger core a boost.

I say trade #1 for a young proven prospect of another team plus their first rounder in top five and a couple more draft choices.

Future before next seasons ('17) draft:
- Propect Acquired for #1 in '16 (Strome brothers, Domi, Dvorak, others..)
- Laine, or Plajarvvi or Nylander or Crouse or Chuchryn
- Mitch Marner
- William Nylander
- Kapenen
- Morgan Reilly
- Jake Gardniner
- Stuart Percy
- Dermott
- JVR
- Kadri

You still have your 1st Rounder, possible second 1st rounder for trade to #1 this year, plus a couple of 2nd rounders in '17.

This all independent of what we get for Bozak, or Kadri or JVR or Komarov or any other trades this TDL and in the summer.

You then can add Stamkos to this young core and the leafs are laughing. Name me a team other then the Edmonton Oilers or Buffalo Sabres or Arizona Coyotes that have a better future ahead of them then the Leafs.

Sorry I just think to 1B prospects at this draft are better then 1A prospect. We are not talking of a Crosby or McDavid center here in Matthews. If he turns into Kopitar like some suggest. Then Laine or Nylander or others in the top 5 this season have just as much upside. But on top of that if you can add Kopitar #2 from an over paying team...why not. I would rather have 2 Kopitars then 1. Just saying.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What about 1st overall to Phoenix for their 1st+ Domi+Strome

Leafs would have zero interest in Domi.
For the rest it would depend on where their 1st falls.

Myself it would be nice to pick 1st for a change regardless of the riches it would return.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
If the Leafs traded down to 2nd OA, the return would be ~15th OA pick, and if the Leafs packaged that 15OA with PIT pick, assuming about 22OA, then the Leafs could move up as high as 4OA.

I would love to grab one of Chychrun or Juolevi. I would hold the 15+22 until one of them was taken and trade for the next pick, unless they both fell to 8th OA, then I would trade for 8th + picks

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I may be in the minority here, but I fail to see a notable difference in potential between Matthews and Laine.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Zero interest in Domi, pretty confident the Leafs agree.

Why?? He's high-skill, London On, so Hunter knows him... I would think the Leafs would be all over this type of deal.

Makes sense for both sides.

The only problem is managing fan reaction to trading the 1st OA, regardless of how great the value is.

Could see the Leafs working to add OEL to the mix though.

Perhaps JVR/OEL?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What about 1st overall to Phoenix for their 1st+ Domi+Strome

Jeez, why didn't we offer Edmonton JvR+Nylander+4th overall for McDavid? Both of them are sub par offers for the 1st overall pick. Nobody moves 1st overall picks and I'll be damned if Toronto will be the first one to do so.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Why would we prefer the 2nd overall pick to the 1st overall pick?

Because you'd get additional return? Both Laine and Matthews are guaranteed NHLers, and the gap there isn't really that huge.

But trading from 1 to 2 is worth a free 15. Trading from 1 to 3 is about 10.

You honesty think Matthews > Laine + 10OA 2016?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad