Line Combos: Matthews-Nylander

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I guess you see Kadri the #1 Cman all season long? I agree with your post, you think Bozak gets moved?

I can see Bozak potentially being moved by the deadline - especially if Nylander shows he's ready to transition to the middle.

With only one more year on his contract after this year, he'll be a more attractive trade piece for other teams.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
They'll be where Babs said they'd be.

3rd line minutes won't matter. It's about preparing the players. The main focus is what they do off ice IMO. They need to earn better minutes and not just via scoring goals, but with defensive play too. And Babcock has a high standard in that regard.

He did exactly this with Rielly and Kadri last season, forcing them into defensive roles to train up those skills.

Now Kadri/Rielly will be unleashed and the muzzles will be attached to Nylander and Matthews.

Once these guys learn the rigueurs of the position, they'll have the chains loosened.

But my guess is that won't happen till near the deadline, like it did for Rielly/Kadri.

As Lou said, no one drafted in 2016 is expected to be the saviour.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I can see Bozak potentially being moved by the deadline - especially if Nylander shows he's ready to transition to the middle.

With only one more year on his contract after this year, he'll be a more attractive trade piece for other teams.

Why would the Leafs move a player that fulfills the role he's asked to do perfectly? He's also super versatile.

Why rush to do anything with Bozak?

Even if Nylander suddenly became "as good as" Bozak you can still keep Bozak because then you have two skilled two way Cs that can move up and down the roster.

Frankly though it makes more sense to keep Nylander as a winger.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Exactly.

I fully expect Matthews to be the #1C by Christmas, and Nylander to be anchoring the 2nd line. But they'll be getting pretty even minutes IMO.

For the umpteenth time, Nylander will probably be playing wing.
We now have a logjam at center ... with Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, Laich, Holland etc.
And Babs has said Nylander will go on the Matthews' wing ... Marner will also be on wing (if he makes the big club).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why would the Leafs move a player that fulfills the role he's asked to do perfectly? He's also super versatile.

Even if Nylander suddenly became "as good as" Bozak you can still keep Bozak because then you have two skilled two way Cs that can move up and down the roster.

Bozak does not fufil any role perfectly. He got fairly sheltered minutes. Ideally, if Bozak isn't eating the toughest defensive minutes (Kadri is), it might be time to phase in the kid who has higher offensive upside halfway through the year.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

I agree, I think we hang onto Bozak for atleast the duration of this season.

He's insurance for injuries

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
For the umpteenth time, Nylander will probably be playing wing.
We now have a logjam at center ... with Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, Laich, Holland etc.
And Babs has said Nylander will go on the Matthews' wing ... Marner will also be on wing (if he makes the big club).

Babcock actually said mathews and Nylander will be splitting C duties in training camp and he will see how it develops.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews and Nylander could make a nice 3rd line duo to start the year. Trying to find some early chemistry with this experiment.

I thought Babcock would break up Leafs rookies and spread the wealth among different lines.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Matthews and Nylander could make a nice 3rd line duo to start the year. Trying to find some early chemistry with this experiment.

I thought Babcock would break up Leafs rookies and spread the wealth among different lines.
If we have 4+ rookies in the line up the wealth will be spread for sure.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ice time will probably depend on how all the lines are performing.

Which trio of players are each line will likely determine that.

I've heard Bozak-Marner mentioned.

van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Marner could be quite the line. Kind of an upgraded van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel line.

?-Matthews-Nylander

? Michalek/Martin/?

Komarov - Kadri - Hyman/Soshnikov/?
van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Marner
Michalek/Martin - Matthews - Nylander

And if we're putting this off to the Trade Deadline, it won't really be based on anything other than moving assets for the future. If we're thinking this line will be moving up the depth chart, that would happen while in competition with everyone otherwise it is a hollow victory.

Exciting time in Leafsland.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
They will be the 2nd line at home when Babs can control the match-up, and 3rd on the road to start. By the deadline they are probably separated with Willy taking Bozak's spot.

I could see either Willy or Matthews taking Kadri's spot at at second line C, prior to the end of the season. It's only a matter of time before Auston will be our #1C. Naz may have to check his ego at the door, if Matthews goes on a tear.

Nylander may take Bozak's spot as well, if Tyler has an unproductive year or of course gets traded. Of course it could also be Matthews who usurps Bozak out of the #1 or 2C spot.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
I think we're all hoping Nylander, Matthews and Marner all click on a line together, having great chemistry. It could all very well happen. All three players should be top line performers eventually. Of course I'm saying they should, if all plays out the way it should.

Marner to me is an exceptional talent. Just watching the way he can skate, pass and pot goals. Only he can prevent himself from becoming one of the top NHL talents. If he can click on a line with Matthews like he did with Dvorak in London, look for exciting times to be had in TO.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I could see either Willy or Matthews taking Kadri's spot at at second line C, prior to the end of the season. It's only a matter of time before Auston will be our #1C. Naz may have to check his ego at the door, if Matthews goes on a tear.

Nylander may take Bozak's spot as well, if Tyler has an unproductive year or of course gets traded. Of course it could also be Matthews who usurps Bozak out of the #1 or 2C spot.

Ultimately mathews and Nylander will be our 1 and 2 centres. As for the 3 bozak or kadri will do. I prefer naz if he continues his play from last year. If he does that and regains his career average shooting percentage we will be a real good team down the middle.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
Ultimately mathews and Nylander will be our 1 and 2 centres. As for the 3 bozak or kadri will do. I prefer naz if he continues his play from last year. If he does that and regains his career average shooting percentage we will be a real good team down the middle.

I agree, Saltming. We have to remember Nylander can play the wing as well, so that's an option open if him and Auston have great chemistry on a line together.

Bozak and Naz are still good for the 3rd line C, like you're saying. Good to know there are options there, as William can play either wing or centre. Matthews and him don't play well together? Well, there's always the option of putting Nylander back as the 2nd or 3rd line C in the future, if that's how things turn out.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree, Saltming. We have to remember Nylander can play the wing as well, so that's an option open if him and Auston have great chemistry on a line together.

Bozak and Naz are still good for the 3rd line C, like you're saying. Good to know there are options there, as William can play either wing or centre. Matthews and him don't play well together? Well, there's always the option of putting Nylander back as the 2nd or 3rd line C in the future, if that's how things turn out.

I also see Babs using the Datsyuk Zetterberg model as a template here. They will have their own lies but he will put them together as needed.
Start them together to find that chemistry so they will have it in later years when we need that important goal.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I was one of Marners biggest fans before we drafted him, but I think Nylander will be better.

Mad Brills*

nylander should be good enough that he doesn't have to rely on matthews as a linemate

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
I also see Babs using the Datsyuk Zetterberg model as a template here. They will have their own lies but he will put them together as needed.
Start them together to find that chemistry so they will have it in later years when we need that important goal.

That's also very possible. Although, Babs said he'd start them off together in camp and to start preseason, he'll just want to evaluate and assess them, see how they progress throughout the preseason on a line together. And even if they play real well on a line together, Nylander can always go down from the first line to 2C from time to time, when needed. Good to have that flexibility.

Mr Hockey*

I think so too.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
I was one of Marners biggest fans before we drafted him, but I think Nylander will be better.

That remains to be seen. Marner I find is more dynamic. Could end up being a very good playmaker for the Leafs. William has his strengths as well. Good skater, wicked shot.

I think they should both be very good players. I personally would give the edge to Marner, with his hockey IQ, his ability to skate well not only north to south, but also laterally as well. Very good passer. He may not have Nylander's shot or hands?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think Matthews - Nylander will be a great combo. I think Marner would work better on Kadri's wing.

Nylander's passing is just so amazing. I think Nylander setting up Matthews will be ideal. We'll see some amazing plays by Nylander with Matthews finishing.

All year we'll be seeing incredible passes by Nylander followed by an incredible shot by Matthews.

Not really sure who will play on the other wing. I think maybe someone like Komorov would be good.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's also very possible. Although, Babs said he'd start them off together in camp and to start preseason, he'll just want to evaluate and assess them, see how they progress throughout the preseason on a line together. And even if they play real well on a line together, Nylander can always go down from the first line to 2C from time to time, when needed. Good to have that flexibility.

Ya flexibility is a very valuable comodity. The best part is we still have Marner to fit in with these guys too.
I can see why Babcock decided to come here. He will have a huge influx of raw young talent he can mould to his vision.
Can it be October yet?

Please?

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
nylander should be good enough that he doesn't have to rely on matthews as a linemate

Linemates rely on each other. It's a team sport remember. Every player has his strength and weaknesses. I can see Marner being the setup guy for Matthews and Nylander. Mitch did it for Tkachuck and Dvorak in London. I could see him doing the very same thing in Toronto.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think Matthews - Nylander will be a great combo. I think Marner would work better on Kadri's wing.

Nylander's passing is just so amazing. I think Nylander setting up Matthews will be ideal. We'll see some amazing plays by Nylander with Matthews finishing.

All year we'll be seeing incredible passes by Nylander followed by an incredible shot by Matthews.

Not really sure who will play on the other wing. I think maybe someone like Komorov would be good.
I see the combo as a 2 way street. Both are good passer/playmakers and both are good finishers in tight or at distance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad