Line Combos: Matthews-Nylander

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I also see Babs using the Datsyuk Zetterberg model as a template here. They will have their own lies but he will put them together as needed.
Start them together to find that chemistry so they will have it in later years when we need that important goal.

Its hard to see into the future but if Nylander and Mathews really light it up together and a young center prospect breaks out for the Marlies in the next year or two its not completely nuts to think those two stay together on a line
JVR - Mathews - Nylander
? - ? - Marner
Komorov - Kadri - ?
(I'd vote Brooks as as a possible candidate)

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
Ya flexibility is a very valuable comodity. The best part is we still have Marner to fit in with these guys too.
I can see why Babcock decided to come here. He will have a huge influx of raw young talent he can mould to his vision.
Can it be October yet?

Please?

LOL! I know! I should be ashamed as we only get three months of nice,sunny warm weather in Canada. I still can't wait for hockey season to begin!:)

Babs will help mold and develop the kids into sure fire NHL'ers. It's a mental game as much as it is physical, so he may have to keep the kids grounded and on track. Make sure that he's able to help keep their confidence up.

All the big three players have the ability to become top NHL talent. There's something wrong if they don't become that. And it would most likely be something psychological, as they have all the necessary physical tools to make it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Its hard to see into the future but if Nylander and Mathews really light it up together and a young center prospect breaks out for the Marlies in the next year or two its not completely nuts to think those two stay together on a line
JVR - Mathews - Nylander
? - ? - Marner
Komorov - Kadri - ?
Could you imaging? That would be awesome.
However imo that centre would have to be better than nylander at the position.
You are right the future is hard to predict so we will just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.
Babcock said in his interview with Dreger I think, (I'm loosely translating) 'it's exciting times. We have so many promising talented kids that not all of them will be able to play here. It's up to us to figure out which ones will.'

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
JVR - Mathews - Nylander
? - ? - Marner
Komorov - Kadri - ?

After Nylander and Matthews, how much depth do we have at C, where some young Marlie player jumps up at takes at least the 3rd C spot? I'd say after Brooks, our prospect talent at centre, drops off. Adam had one great year in the WHL, but it remains to be seen if he can produce as well as he did in the CHL, this year. He's also not a big guy at 5'10.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey*

After Nylander and Matthews, how much depth do we have at C, where some young Marlie player jumps up at takes at least the 3rd C spot? I'd say after Brooks, our prospect talent as centre, drops off. Adam had one great year in the WHL, but it remains to be seen if he can produce as well as he did in the CHL, this year. He's also not a big guy at 5'10.

Vladimir Bobylyov is a center, we should keep an eye on. :nod:

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
Vladimir Bobylyov is a center, we should keep an eye on. :nod:

Oh yeah! He was a late pick. He had a very good season for the Victoria Royals of the WHL. Saw a bit of him last year.

My guess is he will likely play another year of junior in the WHL or perhaps even make the Marlies this coming season? My guess is his chances at making the big team this season are pretty slim.

Last edited:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think they won't say together, but I think the meaning of soonish is wide open.

Eventually I see Matthews centering the top line and Nylander won't be joining him.

Eventually I see Bozak departing and Nylander filling the center void Bozak leaves behind, making our three centers of the future Matthews, Nylander and Kadri with Nylander eventually beating Kadri out of the 2C spot once he starts developing there.

As far as timeline for this to happen though is anybody's guess.

Earliest - Bozak gets traded before the end of the year.
Early - Bozak gets moved at the trade deadline.
Later - Bozak gets picked by Vegas at the expansion draft
Latest - Bozak's contract expires and he walks as a UFA or traded off as a rental at next season's deadline.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
After Nylander and Matthews, how much depth do we have at C, where some young Marlie player jumps up at takes at least the 3rd C spot? I'd say after Brooks, our prospect talent at centre, drops off. Adam had one great year in the WHL, but it remains to be seen if he can produce as well as he did in the CHL, this year. He's also not a big guy at 5'10.

If a guy like Brooks is a second line center I don't think his size is as much of an issue as it would be if he was being asked to be our #1
With Mathews on the first line and Kadri on the third we can carry a offence first guy as our second line center if needs be

I'm quite hopeful about Brooks upside but he is a pretty big long shot and if not him our center depth looks pretty thin as far as top end offensive guys go

In all likelyhood Nylander ends up as our second line center eventually but someone surprising us in our prospect pool would be a great

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

If Matthews and Nylander become 1-2C.... than we have Kadri, who would then be One of the best 3C's in the game.

Who knows who will draft in those 5 years, and who will emerge from the prospect list.

Personally, I would be very happy with Matthews, Nyander, Kadri. Bozak can stay until Nylander is ready. I think that is the safest route. Trading Bozak doesn't even seem worth it right now.... for what a 2nd? Until someone is better than Bozak at Center, he should stay. His cap space means nothing if we can get through this year..... still got 20mil for the off season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd concur that I doubt they play together very long. Nylander is more NHL ready than Matthews - and both will be able to drive the scoring on their own lines.

Mad Brills*

I'd concur that I doubt they play together very long. Nylander is more NHL ready than Matthews -

LOL.

They're both nhl ready by a fair bit.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd concur that I doubt they play together very long. Nylander is more NHL ready than Matthews - and both will be able to drive the scoring on their own lines.

I would argue the fact of Nylander being more NHL ready.
Matthews was selected to the World Cup roster. He has all the tools (size,skill,speed,IQ) and was recognized for it.

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario
Despite not having played a game in the NHL, I'd say Matthews is at least as NHL ready as Nylander, just based on the total package (pro experience, size, two-way game) he brings as a player. I'd even say Nylander was NHL ready before he made his debut, due to his previous pro experience and how well he transitioned into the league. Either way, it's so nice to be able to have both of them and I doubt they'll be on the same line for too long, unless it's on the first line one day.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I would argue the fact of Nylander being more NHL ready.
Matthews was selected to the World Cup roster. He has all the tools (size,skill,speed,IQ) and was recognized for it.

I don't doubt that Matthews is NHL ready - or that it will take him longer to adjust.

But Nylander is now a couple years post draft + has played 1/4 if an NHL season.

He'll know more what is expected of him, the pace of the game, ect come opening night.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
If a guy like Brooks is a second line center I don't think his size is as much of an issue as it would be if he was being asked to be our #1
With Mathews on the first line and Kadri on the third we can carry a offence first guy as our second line center if needs be

I'm quite hopeful about Brooks upside but he is a pretty big long shot and if not him our center depth looks pretty thin as far as top end offensive guys go

In all likelyhood Nylander ends up as our second line center eventually but someone surprising us in our prospect pool would be a great

We're going to have to see how Adam Brooks progresses. He could be a potential number 2c for us in the future. Who knows? He's an offensive guy so I can't see them starting him off as a fourth line centre. One of either Bozak or Kadri would have to be traded, for him to get a shot as one of the Leafs top 3 centres.

Yeah, our depth at centre falls off a little after Brooks. Of course a third line C in a trade wouldn't cost us much as a 1st or 2nd C.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
If Matthews and Nylander become 1-2C.... than we have Kadri, who would then be One of the best 3C's in the game.

Who knows who will draft in those 5 years, and who will emerge from the prospect list.

Personally, I would be very happy with Matthews, Nyander, Kadri. Bozak can stay until Nylander is ready. I think that is the safest route. Trading Bozak doesn't even seem worth it right now.... for what a 2nd? Until someone is better than Bozak at Center, he should stay. His cap space means nothing if we can get through this year..... still got 20mil for the off season.

I don't disagree. Matthews,Nylander, Kadri would keep us solid down the middle. Kadri would be a very good option as 3rd line C as you're saying, as long as his ego can take the hit. Tyler Bozak is still a decent #2 centre, and there's no rush to trade him, unless we have someone who from within the system can take his place. I could only see Matthews knocking Bozak out of the 1st spot.

Would like to see Brooks, Brown, Dermott, Neilson take big steps, landing a Leaf's roster spot either this year or next. Likely next year though I would think. Not every guy that's drafted is going to make it.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I don't doubt that Matthews is NHL ready - or that it will take him longer to adjust.

But Nylander is now a couple years post draft + has played 1/4 if an NHL season.

He'll know more what is expected of him, the pace of the game, ect come opening night.

IDK, the World Cup tourney against the best players the world can throw at him, should prepare Matthews pretty good.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
IDK, the World Cup tourney against the best players the world can throw at him, should prepare Matthews pretty good.

Hard to say until the preseason games begin. My guess is Auston is NHL ready. However, if he has a hard time adjusting or isn't being productive, he's still very young, so him playing a handful of Marlie contests wouldn't hurt him if he isn't.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
matthews can be a elite 1st line C
nylander will be an elite 2C
kadri is an elite 3C

they can each carry a line much like sid, malkin and kessel...not many teams can match us down the middle in a couple of years

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

So what happened to Gauthier?

There are a lot of Gauthier supporters on this site, maybe they are all wrong?

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I don't disagree. Matthews,Nylander, Kadri would keep us solid down the middle. Kadri would be a very good option as 3rd line C as you're saying, as long as his ego can take the hit. Tyler Bozak is still a decent #2 centre, and there's no rush to trade him, unless we have someone who from within the system can take his place. I could only see Matthews knocking Bozak out of the 1st spot.

Would like to see Brooks, Brown, Dermott, Neilson take big steps, landing a Leaf's roster spot either this year or next. Likely next year though I would think. Not every guy that's drafted is going to make it.

I actually think Kadri will like it. He is pretty skilled, and going up against 3rd lines in the future, with pretty darn good wingers (might even have Marner), they might be able to tear up other teams 3rd lines.

I am really high on Dermott, I think he is very solid, and 100% NHLer. Looking for big steps from him this year with the Marlies.

Mad Brills*

lmao gauthier is nothing but a 4C at best.

People who score at his rate rarely are more than meh bottom 6 players.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
So what happened to Gauthier?

There are a lot of Gauthier supporters on this site, maybe they are all wrong?

I thought most were writing Gautier off as a possible fourth line NHL centre. Better 4th line C than 2nd or 3rd line AHL C.

If he never even becomes a 4th line NHL centre, at least those types, especially veterans aren't hard to pick, via UFA.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
I actually think Kadri will like it. He is pretty skilled, and going up against 3rd lines in the future, with pretty darn good wingers (might even have Marner), they might be able to tear up other teams 3rd lines.

I am really high on Dermott, I think he is very solid, and 100% NHLer. Looking for big steps from him this year with the Marlies.

Naz may not mind being the 3rd line C? I know he did have high hopes for becoming a top centre in the NHL. Pretty obvious he isn't though. He's more of a 3rd line pest like Marchand on the Bruins. Both players have good offensive skills.

If Marner can play like he did in the OHL, my guess is he won't be on the third line for very long. Then again, Babs could move him up and down, when needed.

For sure. I plan on getting a home and away package from AHL live , to be able to watch the Marlie games. I hope to see some progression and good numbers put up by Dermott. Think he could be NHL ready for the 2017-18 season. I also expect big things from Andy Nielsen.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We're going to have to see how Adam Brooks progresses. He could be a potential number 2c for us in the future. Who knows? He's an offensive guy so I can't see them starting him off as a fourth line centre. One of either Bozak or Kadri would have to be traded, for him to get a shot as one of the Leafs top 3 centres.

Yeah, our depth at centre falls off a little after Brooks. Of course a third line C in a trade wouldn't cost us much as a 1st or 2nd C.

If Brooks hits Bozak is gone and I'm a bit of a Bozak fan
If Brooks is great it could go
? - Mathews - Nylander
? - Brooks - Marner
? - Kadri - Brown
That is some solid skill right there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->