Line Combos: Matthews-Nylander

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
So Babs said Matthews would start as our 3rd C awhile ago but during rookie camp, he said that Nylander would for sure be on the same line. So that would mean that both would be on the 3rd line then which seems like a huge waste of talent to have both down there, not in terms of name (3rd line) but ice time if thats the case.

But i think things will change soon enough,
which of the following options do you see happening the most likely.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
No need to get hung up on which line is x number, Babs is going to shelter them until they're comfortable and then increase theyre ice time and responsibilities. I see them both getting around 15 mins a night, give or take a little to start.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
No need to get hung up on which line is x number, Babs is going to shelter them until they're comfortable and then increase theyre ice time and responsibilities. I see them both getting around 15 mins a night, give or take a little to start.

not hung up on x line, i mentioned in op ice time. just want our super rookies to play more and see what every bodies thoughts are.:)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It was just a preliminary line he thinks it'll work. For all we know the lines will look completely different after 1 pre-season game. Maybe the chemistry won't be there. How many times did the lineup change last season?

Babcock also usually runs 3 lines fairly evenly and a 4th line that usually plays around 10 minutes. I don't think you'll see a prototypical "1st, 2nd and 3rd line" usage with what is likely going to be a very young lineup.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The 2016-17 season will be about learning how to play the proper way in the NHL for both players hence they'll be down in the lineup at even strength AND get plenty of PP minutes. Teams don't qualify for the playoffs with teenagers on their 1st line. It's not going to be the Edmonton way of handing key minutes to teenagers and expect success.

Babcock will mostly watch who he plays the young guys against and every once in while challenging them with a tougher assignment to see if they can handle it.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Babcock is going put those guys in a position to grow and succeed. Meaning 3rd line minutes, easier competition. I think on the road, opposing coaches will soon have their best defensive players on against the Matthews line. If that means they are considered a first or second line, so be it.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
So Babs said Matthews would start as our 3rd C awhile ago but during rookie camp, he said that Nylander would for sure be on the same line.

Hyperbole.

Babcock said at 1:15
"We will put Willie and Matthews together, and they can work that out"

This implies that they will be put together during training camp. Work that out implies indefinite. Nothing is for sure and for all we know, Nylander could anchor his own line come November.

It is not a SURE THING.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Ya... The line number debate is a waste of time. If he's playing 2 rookies on the same line you can bet that they'll be getting sheltered minutes until they've proven they can handle tougher matchups without it effecting they're development. He'll probably use them as a 1b scoring line when Kadri's line isn't performing and in tight physical games lean more on the vets

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
He'll be sheltered for sure, but I think he'll produce more than Bozak because last season Bozak was the one getting sheltered, so if Matthews is getting sheltered, that means Bozak won't.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We're past the top six bottom six era.

Babcock will run three scoring lines and have a 4th line that has some grit but can chip in offensively too if need be.

Matthews will be leading Leaf centres in icetime by Christmas though.

Last edited:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think the minutes will creep up for Matthews and our top 3 lines will have a nice balance.

Not gonna get too caught up with labels 1st/3rd line etc. this season.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
We're past the top six bottom six era.

Babcock will run three scoring lines and have a 4th line that has some get but can chip in offensively too if need be.

Matthews will be leading Leaf centres in icetime by Christmas though.
Exactly.

I fully expect Matthews to be the #1C by Christmas, and Nylander to be anchoring the 2nd line. But they'll be getting pretty even minutes IMO.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They will be the 2nd line at home when Babs can control the match-up, and 3rd on the road to start. By the deadline they are probably separated with Willy taking Bozak's spot.

Mr Hockey*

They will be the 2nd line at home when Babs can control the match-up, and 3rd on the road to start. By the deadline they are probably separated with Willy taking Bozak's spot.

I guess you see Kadri the #1 Cman all season long? I agree with your post, you think Bozak gets moved?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I guess you see Kadri the #1 Cman all season long? I agree with your post, you think Bozak gets moved?
Kadri will get the tough minutes all year, I think Bozak is moved if the intention is for Willy to be a center. Unless we are doing surprisingly well, this deadline is the best time to move Bozak for futures. Adds some picks or players we don't have to protect for the expansion draft.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You say you're not getting hung up on line number, and then get hung up on line number attributing a certain amount of ice time to each line. The 3 lines will be pretty even in ice time to start. It's not going to be your typical 20/18/14/8. Babcock will try to get them the best matchups, but if you're not going to get caught up on the line numbers then stop attributing certain ice times to them because they're called the 3rd line.

It will be like 16/16/16/12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->