Line Combos: Matthews-Nylander

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
What's this board's take on the team's special teams?

Had we drafted Laine, we'd have that one-timer option from the dot for the PP. I love Matthews and with his hand-eye, he might even develop that shooting option for the PP. But as it stands, Marner, Nylander, Matthews, and Kadri all like to have plays develop through them...ie with the puck on their sticks. Aside from maybe Kapanen and Matthews, we don't have a forward with that lethal slap shot who can just wait and strike at the right time. Stamkos would have complemented our prospects nicely.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So, a 60 point two-way player is now a "third line pest"?

60 point
Please tell me your not talking about Kadri
He's an average 2nd line center or an elite 2 way 3rd line center
With Mathews as a 2way guy and Naz as a 2way guy we can play an offensive minded 2nd line center so Nylander or Brooks (unlikely as he is )would be perfect
Roll three lines not a bad thing

Mr Hockey*

Had we drafted Laine, we'd have that one-timer option from the dot for the PP. I love Matthews and with his hand-eye, he might even develop that shooting option for the PP. But as it stands, Marner, Nylander, Matthews, and Kadri all like to have plays develop through them...ie with the puck on their sticks. Aside from maybe Kapanen and Matthews, we don't have a forward with that lethal slap shot who can just wait and strike at the right time. Stamkos would have complemented our prospects nicely.

I see us sending out 2 highly skilled PP units! I dont like Rielly on the PP mostly because he is not a shot threat.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kadri will be a "third liner" in the way the Pens third line was this past playoffs. I can see Babcock running three balanced scoring lines with relatively even ice time.

And since we're talking about it I doubt Gauthier makes the NHL, even as a 4th liner.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
To be totally honest I actually think Marner's vision/IQ is on another level compared to Nylander's.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

I thought Matthews showed a good shot at the events I've at least seen. It might not be the same slap shot at Laine, but if you stick him somewhere and tell him to shoot....I think he'd do pretty well.

I like having so many guys who can move the puck. There is more than one way to score than having a forward parked to slap it in. That's nice to have of course though. You still have JVR who is dangerous up front of the net. And depending on the blueline can always have guys driving the puck.

No way to tell how the PP in the future will pan out. Sometimes a bunch of skilled guys produce wonders (maybe spread out on both PPs) and sometimes they just can't get anything done. I'd expect these guys will be able to figure it out. Even if you have to spread them out a bit.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Just for fun:

PP1

----------------JVR-----Matthews-
Nylander---------------------------
-----------------------------Nielsen
-----------Zaitsev------------------

PP2

-----------Komarov-----Kadri----
Brown----------------------------
----------------------------Rielly--
-----------Marner------------------

PP3

---------Korshkov---Johnson----
Kapanen--------------------------
---------------------------Dermott
-----------Soshnikov--------------

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't think they play on the same lines.

Mathews will be more sheltered his first year unless Bozak gets traded he will play 3rd line. Nylander will get top 6 minutes, because we need him there. A hole was created when Kessel left and Nylander can help on the wing. I don't see the Leafs rushing Mathews who is 18 and yes, I see Nylander with Kadri. Mathews isn't Lemieux.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Mathews will be more sheltered his first year unless Bozak gets traded he will play 3rd line. Nylander will get top 6 minutes, because we need him there. A hole was created when Kessel left and Nylander can help on the wing. I don't see the Leafs rushing Mathews who is 18 and yes, I see Nylander with Kadri. Mathews isn't Lemieux.

Okay...

Mr Hockey*

10 games into the season Matthews will be leading all forwards with ATOI .... :nod:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To be totally honest I actually think Marner's vision/IQ is on another level compared to Nylander's.
Yeah, they both will rack up assists but they are creative in different ways. Willy is more explosive and has a better shot, but also tends to hold on to the puck longer and wait for the perfect pass. Marner works better in the cycle, where he tends to spot a pass no one else really sees, he also has an awareness of where everyone is, and how dragging one person out of position can create an amazing chance.

For these reasons, I've thought Marner is going to end up with Matthews long-term because they will be strong on the cycle together, and Matthews deadly shot and positioning will lead to a lot of goals with Marner. There commitment to a two-way game is another reason. Where Willy will run the second line, and be asked to create offence with weaker linemates, but with more favorable matchups. Similar to how Patrick Kane is used all over the line-up the past 5 years with no consistent line-mate year to year. The forward to play the most with Kane over this time frame at 5 on 5 was Patrick Sharp at 23%, even if you only use the last 4 years with Sharp it only rises to 31%. This did change slightly this year with Kane being attached to Panarin and Anisimov. Whereas Toews and Hossa have been on the ice over the last 5 years over 50% of the time together at 5 on 5.

On a side note, another interesting fact, in there rookie years Toews and Kane where each others most common linemate, and were gradually split apart to anchor their own lines.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
10 games into the season Matthews will be leading all forwards with ATOI .... :nod:
Don't think so, it will probably be whichever forwards get significant minutes on the PK, which I don't think Matthews will get to start (granted neither Bozak or Kadri were used much on the penalty kill). I have a feeling Babcock, after working with Kadri on rounding out his game all of last year may give him a bump in PK minutes this year. Grabner was getting 3 minutes a game last year, so someone will have to fill that void, and I doubt its one of the rookies right off the bat.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
60 point
Please tell me your not talking about Kadri
He's an average 2nd line center or an elite 2 way 3rd line center
With Mathews as a 2way guy and Naz as a 2way guy we can play an offensive minded 2nd line center so Nylander or Brooks (unlikely as he is )would be perfect
Roll three lines not a bad thing

Obviously meant Marchand, as Kadri hasn't put up 60 points.

I agree with what you say here.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
IDK, the World Cup tourney against the best players the world can throw at him, should prepare Matthews pretty good.

This comment seems to come up a lot and it concerns me, the world cup may prepare him for fast paced international hockey, but it wont prepare him for 3rd/4th line plugs with mature strength finishing their checks.

Only a small point but one i feel is missed, and one of the reasons id consider putting Martin with Nylander and Matthews for a few months. I know its an old school mentality but screw it, id want guys to know if they take a run they will have to answer for it

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This comment seems to come up a lot and it concerns me, the world cup may prepare him for fast paced international hockey, but it wont prepare him for 3rd/4th line plugs with mature strength finishing their checks.

Only a small point but one i feel is missed, and one of the reasons id consider putting Martin with Nylander and Matthews for a few months. I know its an old school mentality but screw it, id want guys to know if they take a run they will have to answer for it

I don't think anyone will stop anyone else from taking a run at any of the Leafs kids.

If a player is going to hit he isn't going to be overly concerned about others who might hit them, especially if that player is going to hit them anyway. Martin hits all the time, what he's going to hit all the time more?

The only question is how the receiving player is going to stand up to the hitting. I think Matthews and Nylander will be fine, and Nylander is probably going to be more aware of what can happen if you put yourself in a vulnerable position.

Is puck retrieval a strength of Martin? Forcing turnovers makes sense, so perhaps Nylander's speed would benefit from the turnover more than scaring NHLers out of being physical.

Mad Brills*

Matthews is taller than quite a bit of nhl players. How can you take a run at a 6'3 guy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews is taller than quite a bit of nhl players. How can you take a run at a 6'3 guy.
You can cheap shot anyone to be honest. Size hardly matters. Just look at Lindros, one of the biggest guys to step on the ice in height and build.

Mad Brills*

You can cheap shot anyone to be honest. Size hardly matters. Just look at Lindros, one of the biggest guys to step on the ice in height and build.

True, but there aren't guys like stevens anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad