Which pair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Barzal/ lainL will score more goals but will also give up more. I think Mathews/Marner will give up less goals. For overall play I go with Matthews and Marner.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I like Matthews the most but Marner is behind all 3 so I would take the other two even though I don’t want to

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Matthews is way better defensively than the other 3 players, I would go with him and Marner.

Lol Matthews is average defensively(for a Center), stop feeding us with lies.

Patrik Laine has 24 points and 16 goals in his last 14 games, 1.7 ppg and 1.15 gpg.

Yeah Laines much better than Marner...

Thats actually hilarious that a Leaf fan would do the sample size scoring sheet because when Jets fans compare Laine to Matthews Leafs fans resort to “Laines on a streak right now” to somehow show how Laine is inferior offensively but than they come in here doing the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Didn't realize Marner has been doing so well. That's good.
yeah he's got a far better centerman now in Kadri, and is the go to guy now that Matthews is out hurt. he's really looked dangerous out there offensively

Frankly I'd like to see Marner on a line with Laine right now. That would be something. The guy scores on every other chance he gets, and Marner is creating a ton of chances

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
yeah he's got a far better centerman now in Kadri, and is the go to guy now that Matthews is out hurt. he's really looked dangerous out there offensively

Frankly I'd like to see Marner on a line with Laine right now. That would be something. The guy scores on every other chance he gets, and Marner is creating a ton of chances
Even before Matthews got hurt Marner was starting to play really well when he and Kadri were put together on that line starting against the Blackhawks this past January.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Barzal and Laine, because of the large gap between Laine and marner

Is there that large of a gap? Production wise, there certainly isn't. Not unless you believe goals are twice as important as assists and thus, goal scorers are more valuable than a playmaker who produces similar point totals.

Rookie season:
Marner - 61 points
Laine - 64 points

Sophomore season (so far):
Marner - 60 points
Laine - 66 points

Laine's obviously the superior goal scorer. But, considering people are referencing this massive gap between the two, I'm not seeing Laine blowing him out of the water in total production.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal and Laine, because of the large gap between Laine and marner

It's unfortunate Matthews is hurt. But durability plays into it. Otherwise projection would be used in these player comparisons or be factored into Calder trophy races. I would go.

Laine = > Matthews (even allowing for pace to Matthew benefit, but actuality Laine has proven more right now.)

Barzal > Marner is the real decider here. Not close this year.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Laine's obviously the superior goal scorer. But, considering people are referencing this massive gap between the two, I'm not seeing Laine blowing him out of the water in total production.
The gap is evident when you compare their comparable seasons - Laine has clearly better d+1 and d+2 years. I don't think that goals are much more valuable than assists but a sniper like Laine is extremely valuable as only a couple of players in the league have a shot like that, if any. It's easier to find a playmaker like Marner than a goalscorer like Lane.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Tier below? Marner has 23 points in his last 16 games or 1.44 points per game over the span....

Isolating tiny samples to make a point = fail.

Anyone can play that game. Here: Marner had 6 points and was -5 in the whole month of January (in October, also 6 points, but -9). Tiny samples don't work.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's unfortunate Matthews is hurt. But durability plays into it. Otherwise projection would be used in these player comparisons or be factored into Calder trophy races. I would go.

Laine = > Matthews (even allowing for pace to Matthew benefit, but actuality Laine has proven more right now.)

Barzal > Marner is the real decider here. Not close this year.
If you talk about durability Laine can be one hit away from another concussion or do you conveniently want to forget about that happening to him in his rookie season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The gap is evident when you compare their comparable seasons - Laine has clearly better d+1 and d+2 years. I don't think that goals are much more valuable than assists but a sniper like Laine is extremely valuable as only a couple of players in the league have a shot like that, if any. It's easier to find a playmaker like Marner than a goalscorer like Lane.

Why would you do that? Why not compare their actual rookie year and actual sophomore year?

Because if that's the case, then Barzal is clearly the fourth best player on this list since he couldn't even make the NHL at 19, while the other three were already productive NHL players.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Isolating tiny samples to make a point = fail.

Anyone can play that game. Here: Marner had 6 points and was -5 in the whole month of January (in October, also 6 points, but -9). Tiny samples don't work.
I thought we can not use +/- as a sample size, however it's ok to mention it when the player is a minus?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it's a shame Marner didn't make the NHL sooner, but I think that was mainly to do with physical readiness rather than playing ability. Laine was probably more physically developed at 13 than Marner is now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad