Matthews + Marner vs Barzal + Laine

Which pair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Prior to all this you said how the Leafs made a mistake selecting Marner 4th overall and said they should have picked Barzal instead.

So you always had Barzal ahead no matter what the situation would be.

Just stop it. You really have a reading problem or you are completely Leafs absorbed in this thread. I had Barzal as number 3 in a redraft but you somehow equated this to Marner. You really should step away from the keyboard. It's a waste of my time here correcting the record in this thread with your too many inaccuracies. Barzal #3 OA is a pretty accurate spot in a redraft at this time and certainly ahead of Marner amongst others. I may be forced to used ignore reading your spiralling out of control posts today.

THIS IS A WHICH COMBO IS BETTER THREAD.

Try to prove why Laine and Barzal would not be a better combo than concentrate why Barzal is rated higher in a redraft thread. Natural Playmaker with aleady 53 assists in 71 games, with natural goal scorer with 41 in 71 games. Sounds like a good match to most. Which just happens to be better totals than either Matthews or Marner have achieved thus far in their careers.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just stop it. You really have a reading problem or you are completely Leafs absorbed. I had Barzal as number 3 in a redraft but you somehow equated this to Marner. You really should step away from the keyboard. It's a waste of my tome here correcting the record in this thread with your blatant inaccuracies.
When Marner was struggling you always brought up the Leafs made a mistake selecting him and said they should have went with Barzal instead. Please stop denying that because we saw you say it.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
This is a hockey forum. Anyone is free to post their opinions and or change their minds. If you have to resort to posting about posters and not the post on the thread, than it's probably time to use the ignore button or not post on the Mainboard if you cannot stomach neutral posters opinions. Because I tell you what, I am going to post factually and what I believe here whether you or others like it or not. Based on my likes, I think plenty of posters like what I am posting. But I don't post for likes either. Strictly what I believe and always back up in stats and facts.

Now is their anything in my post that you want to discuss?

Laine 41 goals in 71 games > Matthews 40 in 82
Barzal 72 points in 71 games > Marner 61 points career high

1. Add onto this Barzal and Laine are natural matches as elite playmaking Center and elite goal scorer. It's an easy choice to most. Do you disagree with people who decided to vore Laine and Barzal in this thread? Keep the replies to hockey if you please.
This thread is not asking who the better goal scorer is. Many Leaf fans have agreed that Laine is the better goal scorer over Matthews, even when Matthews was outscoring him. But the better player was and is always Matthews.
Barzal is having a great season and at this point is better then Marner but you can't discount Marner scoring 60 his first two years in the league.

Like I said I go with the two that are actually teammates In Matthews and Marner. They may not score as much but they will keep more out and both will make the third player on the line better as both drive there lines and are great playmakers

Reactions: LeafsNation75

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Is Tyler Bozak really better than Bryan Little? Is Kadri superior to Stastny?

Yes, Little has been dragged up by guys like Laine and Ehlers all season and he has been dragging all of which of who he plays with down(to say the least Little has been a major disappointment this season and very bad this season as well). Also Laine has played with Stastny for 8 games, so yeah it’s way to quick to compare in terms of Stastny and Kadri.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Lol so many petty posters on this site. Is it the cool thing to hate everything leaf related even though you know you’re wrong?

Barzal a tier above Marner? Come on.....

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Is the six points between Marner and Laine really that big of a gap.

Keep in mind Laine's had a year less of development, and looks to be becoming a perennial Rocket contender.
Also, while Matthews > Barzal IMO, that gap isn't massive either at this point.
Definitely either option is great though; you can't really go wrong.

Reactions: bionic

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's funny because with Matthews the knock against him by fans of other teams is his lack of assists. Marner has more assists than he has goals, however Laine has more goals and than assists compared to Marner. So why is Laine not knocked for not getting more assists?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Yes it is, Laine is a year younger, has over double the Goals, has played 1 less game this season(more Points as well), Laine has 9 more Points in 5 less Games career wise and has a much better plus/minus, Laine has a better oiSV% and less oiGA/60 and more oiGF/60... Laine is litterly better in every category(scoring and Two-Way), Laine is arguably better than Matthews and is very much so out of Marners league.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yes, Little has been dragged up by guys like Laine and Ehlers all season and he has been dragging all of which of who he plays with down(to say the least Little has been a major disappointment this season and very bad this season as well). Also Laine has played with Stastny for 8 games, so yeah it’s way to quick to compare in terms of Stastny and Kadri.

Have you seen Bozak this year? He's been horrible for 95% of the season.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Have you seen Bozak this year? He's been horrible for 95% of the season.

He’s(Bozak) 2 Points shy of Little and again every player who’s played with Little this season has gone down statistically by a large margin, at this point in time Little is a RW now. Laine was playing much better with Copp(someone who was in and out of the lineup at the start of the season and is a LW/Center) as a Center. Do you have any evidence against Bozak or are you making biased claims that have no proof behind them(this “for 95% of the season he’s been horrible” thing)..

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
It's funny because with Matthews the knock against him by fans of other teams is his lack of assists. Marner has more assists than he has goals, however Laine has more goals and than assists compared to Marner. So why is Laine not knocked for not getting more assists?

It’s funny because many Leaf fans used the Goal scoring of Matthews to try and put him in the McDavid/Generational Talent tier(ie. Matthews is gonna only be second to McDavid[or as good] due to his goal scoring ability). Now that people know Laine is the better goal scorer of the two(and the fact McDavid can score goals at will) that Goal > Assist thing doesn’t matter that much any more(unless we are speaking Matthews, than they still revert it). All in all that post of yours is really hypocritical man..

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It’s funny because many Leaf fans used the Goal scoring of Matthews to try and put him in the McDavid/Generational Talent tier(ie. Matthews is gonna only be second to McDavid[or as good] due to his goal scoring ability). Now that people know Laine is the better goal scorer of the two(and the fact McDavid can score goals at will) that Goal > Assist thing doesn’t matter that much any more(unless we are speaking Matthews, than they still revert it). All in all that post of yours is really hypocritical man..
If any Leafs fans said that is because Matthews finished tied for 2nd in total goals during his rookie season and did that while playing centre, because we can't remember the last time any rookie has done something like that.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
If any Leafs fans said that is because Matthews finished tied for 2nd in total goals during his rookie season and did that while playing centre, because we can't remember the last time any rookie has done something like that.

Again that’s not the point(Jets fans can argue the same thing, Laine a player who has the most goals in the league over the past 2 seasons with 9 less games than the 2nd highest goal scorer and etc). You just proved my point, you firstly said made Marners assists look superior because Laine lacks them to fit your argument and then when I bring up Matthews(also you are comparing a 69pt Rookie to a 100pt Sophmore) we jump back of the Goals > Assist things, it’s hypocrisy.

You simply can’t say Marner is in Laines league because of Marners assists and then continue to say Matthews is in McDavids league because of Goals...

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Again that’s not the point(Jets fans can argue the same thing, Laine a player who has the most goals in the league over the past 2 seasons with over ten less games than the 2nd guy and etc). You just proved my point, you firstly said made Marners assists look superior because Laine lacks them to fit your argument and then when I bring up Matthews we jump back of the Goals > Assist things, it’s hypocrisy.
My point was with Matthews the knock on him was his lack of assists if you want to call 29 assists a bad thing.

However when comparing just Marner and Laine no one else who favours Laine doesn't bring up him getting less assists compared to Marner.

So why is that only brought up to discredit Matthews and his 40 goal rookie season?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
My point was with Matthews the knock on him was his lack of assists if you want to call 29 assists a bad thing.

However when comparing just Marner and Laine no one else who favours Laine doesn't bring up him getting less assists compared to Marner.

So why is that only brought up to discredit Matthews and his 40 goal rookie season?

Nobody knocks Matthews for his Assist total, people(who rationally think) knock him for his total point totals when being compared to Crosby’s, McDavids, Kane’s and etc...

Again because you used Assists to put Marner in Laines league and then used goals to put Matthews in McDavids league(/Generational tier)... It doesn’t make sense to say Goals > Assists and then later on say Assists > Goals to fit your narrative, it hurts credibility.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Again because you used Assists to put Marner in Laines league and then used goals to put Matthews in McDavids league(/Generational tier)... It doesn’t make sense to say Goals > Assists and then later on say Assists > Goals to fit your narrative, it hurts credibility.
I only brought it up because no one has said Laine sucks at getting assists despite scoring more goals because that's the reason others knock Matthews, so I'm just calling out the hypocrisy.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I only brought it up because no one has said Laine sucks at getting assists despite scoring more goals because that's the reason others knock Matthews, so I'm just calling out the hypocrisy.

Lol then why are you being a hypocrite?

No one “knocks” on Matthews for his Assist totals they knock him for his low point totals when being compared to guys who are over a PPG and upper echelon talents who are actually better than Matthews(McDavid, Crosby, Kane, Malkin and etc...)... Your evading the actual context of the situation.

You Leaf fans have over used Matthews Goal marker as a plus, so it’s not gonna work when you jump in here acting like Assists come first now.

Saying

Matthews(A Center who has 40 Goals and is one of the best goalscorers, not the best though with less than a point per game) = McDavid(a consistent ppg+ player who has had a 100pt season as a 20yr old with a very great amount of goals as well)

Laine(arguably the leagues best goal scorer, and the youngest player in mention who has more PPG this year and last year who is younger by a year compared to Marner) = Marner(an Elite playmaker, but not the greatest finisher)

Your fitting a narrative there bud. You have to be blind not to see your hypocrisy there...

Reactions: BruinLVGA

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No one “knocks” on Matthews for his Assist totals they knock him for his low point totals when being compared to guys who are over a PPG and upper echelon talents who are actually better than Matthews(McDavid, Crosby, Kane, Malkin and etc...)... Your evading the actual context of the situation.
Prior to this season some posters said the reason for Matthews points being 69 last season was due to him not getting more assists. In my opinion I see that as trying to attack him because they hate the fact he scored 40 goals while playing in Toronto. I can't remember the last time anyone said that about a 40 goal scorer in the league.

Last edited:

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
This is a hockey forum. Anyone is free to post their opinions and or change their minds. If you have to resort to posting about posters and not the post on the thread, than it's probably time to use the ignore button or not post on the Mainboard if you cannot stomach neutral posters opinions. Because I tell you what, I am going to post factually and what I believe here whether you or others like it or not. Based on my likes, I think plenty of posters like what I am posting. But I don't post for likes either. Strictly what I believe and always back up in stats and facts.

Now is their anything in my post that you want to discuss?

Laine 41 goals in 71 games > Matthews 40 in 82
Barzal 72 points in 71 games > Marner 61 points career high

1. Add onto this Barzal and Laine are natural matches as elite playmaking Center and elite goal scorer. It's an easy choice to most. Do you disagree with people who decided to vore Laine and Barzal in this thread? Keep the replies to hockey if you please.

Like I said, you’re free to believe/say anything you want. Pretending like you’re being victimized is unnecessary. I’m just pointing out the flaw in your MO. I’ve already explained why I wouldn’t discuss hockey with you; your opinions are influenced by your feelings about a fan base, as you have admitted. Your “hockey opinions” are clouded by this, rendering them useless.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He’s(Bozak) 2 Points shy of Little and again every player who’s played with Little this season has gone down statistically by a large margin, at this point in time Little is a RW now. Laine was playing much better with Copp(someone who was in and out of the lineup at the start of the season and is a LW/Center) as a Center. Do you have any evidence against Bozak or are you making biased claims that have no proof behind them(this “for 95% of the season he’s been horrible” thing)..

What "evidence" do you need, other than the fact his production is way down compared to last year, Babcock demoted him to 4C at one point, and Babcock had to move Kadri up with Marner to take over as the "2nd line" because Bozak wasn't cutting it.

I mean, you're down on Little, yet you even admit he's OUTPRODUCING Bozak, all while being a much, much better defensive player than Bozak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad