Matthew Tkachuk or Mitchell Marner?

Matthew Tkachuk or Mitchell Marner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

barrsdow

Jul 3, 2017
Give him a wee bit more time, and Marner will pull even further away from Tkachuk. He's on his way to his second 61 point season, at the age of just 20. I like Tkachuk but he's not in Mitch's league.

Ok cool thats your opinion but saying that he's not in Marner's league just shows that you cant be objective when talking about a leaf. Btw Tkachuk is scoring at a 30 goal 59 pt pace pace and Marner 17 goals 60 pt pace. In what world is Marner out of Tkachuk's leaugue??

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Ok cool thats your opinion but saying that he's not in Marner's league just shows that you cant be objective when talking about a leaf. Btw Tkachuk is scoring at a 30 goal 59 pt pace pace and Marner 17 goals 60 pt pace. In what world is Marner out of Tkachuk's leaugue??
Because he is not A Leaf... that's why.

barrsdow

Jul 3, 2017
One turned 20, 2 months ago the other is turning 21 in 3 months. In their rookie years one had 0.63 ppg the other 0.79 ppg . One skates better and perceived to have more skill the other is more physical and draws the most penalties in the league. This season one is on a 30 goal 59 pt pace the other 17 goal 60 pt pace.

This is really close and the poll is really just about the preference of skills. Anyone that cant admit that its close, needs to get surgery to remove the leafs/flames logo off their corneas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarmore

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
as a leafs fan, tough choice. marner is a far better player. but a lineup also needs some grit to be successful. I like that in tkachuk. and he can play too.

gonna go marner simply because tkachuk sometimes takes the grit too far into boneheaded plays.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He plays a power game and has some skill but his attitude is atrocious, even you can't deny that

His attitude is great. The guy does Calgary loss post games for the team now. The kids already a leader for the Flames. Just because he’s a prick on the ice and draws a ton of penalties doesn’t give him attitude problems. I have no idea how you even came up with that.

He plays a skill game. When you don’t know something, just don’t say it. Like, clearly you’ve seen him a handful of times and you’re just making things up.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tkachuk has been unbelievable tonight. Scores the tying goal, hits a post, and then the game winner all in the 3rd. Has also drawn 3 PIMS. What an impressive performance tonight.

Guy was unreal.
2 goals, 3 Penalties drawn, possession beast all night, could of had the assist for a Frolik EN goal but he missed the net. That second tip was absolutely filthy. But the kid has no skill, so.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Guy was unreal.
2 goals, 3 Penalties drawn, possession beast all night, could of had the assist for a Frolik EN goal but he missed the net. That second tip was absolutely filthy. But the kid has no skill, so.

Matt's got skills, a lot of them actually. They are just not the fancy ones people associate with. He was terrific tonight. Was the only reason Calgary won. His drawn PIM paid off in a PP goal and he then scored the tying goal, could have had another when he hit the post, and did finish the game with that nasty tip and was also entrusted to save the win in the last min of the game. Unreal performance. This is a hockey player that can beat you in multiple ways. 20 goal scorer now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Matt's got skills, a lot of it actually. They are just not the fancy ones people associate with. He was terrific tonight. Was the only reason Calgary won. His drawn PIM paid off in a PP goal and he then scored the tying goal, could have had another when he hit the post, and did finish the game with that nasty tip and was also entrusted to in the last min of the game. Unreal performance.

I’m being facetious. Matt Tkachuk is a ridiculously skilled player. Like, it’s funny when people think he’s just some goon who board battles and rides the Backlund coattails. This kids a line driver that has a set of filthy mitts.

That second goal is unreal. It’s a tipped shot from 3-4 feet wide of the net. Or his between the legs front of the net drives.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
Skating? Marner. Passing? Marner, but close. Shooting? Chucky. Boardplay? Chucky. Defense? Chucky. Hands? Too close to call. IQ? Too close to call.

Overall this is a good poll but I voted Marner for homer reasons.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’m being facetious. Matt Tkachuk is a ridiculously skilled player. Like, it’s funny when people think he’s just some goon who board battles and rides the Backlund coattails. This kids a line driver that has a set of filthy mitts.

That second goal is unreal. It’s a tipped shot from 3-4 feet wide of the net. Or his between the legs front of the net drives.

Yes I know you were. I got you the first time. For I too have read those comments. Matthew Tkachuk is a player that has few comparables in the NHL. This is why I believe he is the better choice in this poll. He's got size, skill, courage, an edge, Sat% beast, 2 way play, meanness, and now a proven 20 goal man with a lot of games to go, all the things GM's look in for a player.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

In the world where everyone has eyes?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Really really tough choice. Both players bring a plethora to the table, and different elements from each other. Purely from a Flames perspective I voted Tkachuk, but I can easily see it argued either way.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
His attitude is great. The guy does Calgary loss post games for the team now. The kids already a leader for the Flames. Just because he’s a prick on the ice and draws a ton of penalties doesn’t give him attitude problems. I have no idea how you even came up with that.

He plays a skill game. When you don’t know something, just don’t say it. Like, clearly you’ve seen him a handful of times and you’re just making things up.

So you actually think that if a guy is a prick on the ice he isn't a prick outside of it? Perhaps but unlikely. He plays a dirty game but is skilled just not as skilled as Marner.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So you actually think that if a guy is a prick on the ice he isn't a prick outside of it? Perhaps but unlikely. He plays a dirty game but is skilled just not as skilled as Marner.

Actually, if you listen to as much Flames radio as I'm almost ashamed to admit I do (clearly you don't). ..This kid's a complete throwback to being 'the kid' on a team; here's a quote from an interview he did with CBC:

And he credits his dad, former NHL star Keith Tkachuk, for instilling in him the importance of acting with class off the ice.

“I’m an 18-year-old kid playing with guys like Mark Giordano, Matt Stajan, Troy Brouwer guys that are almost 15 years older. The thing I was worried about coming in is ‘How am I going to fit in with the team?'” Tkachuk said. “I was pretty comfortable coming into a new locker room just from what I saw at a young age. I saw the way my dad treated people—the trainers, his teammates when he played. Talking with him a lot, he really stressed that to me.

“When I talk to him it’s the two things he always brings up: compete and be a good teammate. Treat everybody equal, whether it’s trainers, coaches, players, and that was one thing I really tried to emphasize when I came in last year.”

Every report is him being a good dude, and being a team-first dude. Even earlier in the season when Bieksa or Doughty lambaste him in the media, the guy doesn't say anything horrendous back. The guy respects the game and the respects the team pecking order.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Why would you compare completely different players? If you were able to have all the team bias set aside and rational think about it......you are asking people if they prefer a smaller more offensively gifted winger over a power forward talented goal scoring winger.

I am a Leafs fan but I also watch the Flames play fairly regularly so I am very familiar Keith Jr. I am of the believe that Marner has the skills and ability to be an offensive driver of a line where as I do not believe Tkachuk has the same talent to drive a line however he is a hell of a complement to a player who does drive a line.

I see Matthew as being a Gary Roberts type of player (which I love), I am curious if you had a poll of him versus Wayne Simmonds how the voting would turn out.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
I see Matthew as being a Gary Roberts type of player (which I love), I am curious if you had a poll of him versus Wayne Simmonds how the voting would turn out.

It would be a Tkachuk runaway, closed before the day ended.

Big Erned Nevergivn

May 29, 2015
Calgary AB
I may be a homer here but this is how I see it..
Marner:
Scores
Makes players around him better
High hockey IQ
Plays flashy
Skates fast
Higher perceived "ceiling" (arbitrary non-sense IMO, considering what Tkachuk has accomplished in D+2 at 20yo)

Tkachuk:
Scores a little less
Makes players around him better
Plays in a defensive role against best players in the league
Draws the most penalties in the league
Absolutely crushes possession stats
Hard to play against (well known pest)
High Hockey IQ

Tkachuk is a year younger as well. So Marner scores a tiny bit more and skates faster, everything else is a tie or a major win for Tkachuk. I may be wrong (and/or giant homer) but the list above makes it an easy decision.. add the point that Calgary already has the best Marner in the league and the decision is even easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad