Rumor: Matthew Tkachuk done with the Flames?

Bond

May 10, 2012
Sam Reinhart for Tkachuk is an obvious base for a deal.
For the Sabres. Reinhart is a good player but he doesn't really bring anything that improves the Flames. Would just add another slower and soft guy into the Flames top six. Would rather just gamble on keeping Tkachuk.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
For the Sabres. Reinhart is a good player but he doesn't really bring anything that improves the Flames. Would just add another slower and soft guy into the Flames top six. Would rather just gamble on keeping Tkachuk.

I think Monahan for Reinhart is probably the deal we'd be more into.
No chance you're sniffing Tkachuk with Reino, and I really like Reinhart.

Reactions: Bond

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The gap between Tkachuk and Marner including contracts is not the gap between Rasmus Andersson and Travis Dermott.
Oh it's not?

Let's look at the last 3 seasons of Marner vs. Tkachuk:

2018-19: Marner (11th in scoring) 94 points / Tkachuk (31st in scoring) 77 points

2019-20: Marner (19th in scoring) avg. 93 points over 82gp / Tkachuk (34th in scoring) avg. 73points over 82gp

2020-21: Marner (4th in scoring) avg. 100 points over 82gp / Tkachuk (61st in scoring) avg. 63points over 82gp

You're going to tell me that's not a big enough gap? Let's be honest here. Marner's been a steady Top-20 scorer all 3 years (including 4th overall) and Tkachuk never cracked the Top-30.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Tkachuk is exactly the type of player Leafs need. That would be an outstanding acquisition if they can somehow get him... Marner in Calgary I'm not a fan of though.. IMO they would be a easy team to play against with marner gaudreau and Monahan as their main guys ... they would get pushed around so much...

I really hope this Tkachuk rumor isn't true for Calgary and it's fans... You don't wanna lose Tkachuk type players and Calgary will forever be looking for another Tkachuk type forever

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Oh it's not?

2018-19: Marner (11th in scoring) 94 points / Tkachuk (31st in scoring) 77 points

2019-20: Marner (19th in scoring) avg. 93 points over 82gp / Tkachuk (34th in scoring) avg. 73points over 82gp

2020-21: Marner (4th in scoring) avg. 100 points over 82gp / Tkachuk (61st in scoring) avg. 63points over 82gp

You're going to tell me that's not a big enough gap? Let's be honest here. Marner's been a steady Top-20 scorer all 3 years (including 4th overall) and Tkachuk never cracked the Top-30.

One guy played with Matthews and one with Backlund. That’s a difference too.

Marner is the better offensive player for sure. But Tkachuk has had tougher matchups and less help to play with.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh it's not?

and what's the disparity in linemates? Because Tkachuk has spent 2/3 of the last 3 years on a shutdown pairing with Backlund and some combination of Frolik, Bennett and Mangiapane. Ask yourself what Marner will produce in Calgary, not what he has produced in an ideal situation in Toronto.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If Tkachuk gets dealt to TO, I will have to admit that the Leafs would officially grow on me and I may get a major soft spot for them lol

I'm a huge fan of both Tkachuks wherever they play

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't mind the Marner for Tkachuk deal. They are very different players for sure. I'd expect a small add from Toronto for the cap difference.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oh it's not?

If scoring is all that mattered, Toronto would be playing Vegas right now.
There's no doubt in my mind that Marner is the better offensive player than Tkachuk, I have no questions about that. But Matthew Tkachuk's game isn't just about points; puck dominance, physicality, emotion, these are things that people joke around about on this board regarding 'intangibles', and yet the final four teams in the playoffs have it in spades.

Now do the gap between Dermott and Andersson. One's a steady top 4 right handed player, while not flashy does a lot of goods things on the ice (albeit having a tough season this year until separated from Giordano), the other might not be in the NHL in 3 seasons.

Reactions: nturn06

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't mind the Marner for Tkachuk deal. They are very different players for sure. I'd expect a small add from Toronto for the cap difference.

Ya its a tough one cause I think Tkachuk will be pretty damn near that double digit amount yearly too when he needs another contract.. so sure TO would save a few mill for 1 year but after that, their cap hits will be somewhat ish similar ... its a tricky deal!!

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
One guy played with Matthews and one with Backlund. That’s a difference too.
Yes, but Marner didn't play with Matthews the year before. I mean, we can debate all day about these players, but the fact remains...

Mitch Marner is an elite-level, jaw-dropping forward who makes all the players around him better. He's small, doesn't get grimy, but he would be a steady Top-10 scorer no matter where he plays -- his skills are elite.

Matthew Tkachuk is a decent scorer but loaded with snarl, grit and intangibles. He'll never dominate a score sheet but he's a pain to play against.

Neither player has really set the world on fire in the playoffs. Both are still young with tons of upside.

To say these players cannot be compared in a trade -- even with Marner's $10.9 mil cap hit -- is ludicrous. Tkachuk will be a RFA and if he is indeed traded, it will likely be due to him wanting a hefty raise from the $7 mil contract that is expiring. Say he gets $9 million x 5, his contract is not much of a bargain anymore.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The player that does more in the playoffs should be valued more.

Leafs need to add the + if its Marner and M Tkachuk as Marners back to back playoff blunders are fresh in everyone's minds.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The player that does more in the playoffs should be valued more.

Leafs need to add the + if its Marner and M Tkachuk as Marners back to back playoff blunders are fresh in everyone's minds.
By that metric, Marner is worth way more, considering Tkachuk's 5 points in 15 career playoff games.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
By that metric, Marner is worth way more, considering Tkachuk's 5 points in 15 career playoff games.

Ya that was a bad example

Marner 25 points in 32 games
Tkachuk 5 points in 15 games

But right now Marner is public enemy number 1 due to how poor he played this playoffs.. its fresh in everyone's minds

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

More of a what have you done for me lately though.

Could also negate your response by using the commonly used "Look at their line mates etc"

I actually believe in Marner. I think the Leaf fans giving up on him are doing so prematurely.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
More of a what have you done for me lately though.

I actually believe in Marner. I think the Leaf fans giving up on him are doing so prematurely.
I mean Tkachuk didn't even make the playoffs, and his poor performance this year was a big reason why. He only had 2 points in 6 games in his last playoff season.

Marner's "bad playoffs" is still way better than Tkachuk.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I mean Tkachuk didn't even make the playoffs, and his poor performance this year was a big reason why. He only had 2 points in 6 games in his last playoff season.

Marner's "bad playoffs" is still way better than Tkachuk.

Can't blame an individual player missing the playoffs in a team sport.

Marner may have more playoff points but if he isn't scoring hes not affecting the game like Tkachuk does. Its a hugely underrated aspect of hockey thats impossible to quantify.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad