Rumor: Matthew Tkachuk done with the Flames?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Exaggeration but Bennett is definitely not a 1C like you are claiming
20 points in 15 games. Played 20 mins a night. Averaged nearly 4 shots per game. Elite underlying numbers.

He's a 1C until he proves he's not. Calgary absolutely wasted him, his time there was not at all indicative of the caliber of player he is. They were playing him as a bottom 6 winger while letting Monahan continue to flounder as a center next to the team's best offensive player lol. That's a ****ing joke You should be furious at the way Bennett was handled. Unless you're a bigger fan of your GM than you are of the flames.

I told you he was a 1C before he was shipped off, I guess I'll get to say I told you so again next year?

Ledge And Dairy

20 points in 15 games. Played 20 mins a night. Averaged nearly 4 shots per game. Elite underlying numbers.

He's a 1C until he proves he's not. Calgary absolutely wasted him, his time there was not at all indicative of the caliber of player he is. They were playing him as a bottom 6 winger while letting Monahan continue to flounder as a center next to the team's best offensive player lol. That's a ****ing joke You should be furious at the way Bennett was handled. Unless you're a bigger fan of your GM than you are of the flames.

I told you he was a 1C before he was shipped off, I guess I'll get to say I told you so again next year?
You are a guy that loves underlying numbers no? Bennett's were abysmal in Calgary even when he was given chances in the top 6.

Has Bennett looked great in Florida? Yes but he also played on Huberdeau's wing and they clicked really well. He never found that synergy with Gaudreau. I'm perfectly happy with the return we got and I only wish him the best on his new team. I am not here to discuss your dislike for Monahan (or Tkachuk for that matter), this was about your bad take on Bennett being a legitimate 1C, which he is not. He can however be a reliable 2C if he can keep up that level of play, something I did want him to get a chance at in Calgary.

Bond

May 10, 2012

He isn't a #1C until he can replicate what he did at the end of the season next season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You are a guy that loves underlying numbers no? Bennett's were abysmal in Calgary even when he was given chances in the top 6.

Has Bennett looked great in Florida? Yes but he also played on Huberdeau's wing and they clicked really well. He never found that synergy with Gaudreau. I'm perfectly happy with the return we got and I only wish him the best on his new team. I am not here to discuss your dislike for Monahan (or Tkachuk for that matter), this was about your bad take on Bennett being a legitimate 1C, which he is not. He can however be a reliable 2C if he can keep up that level of play, something I did want him to get a chance at in Calgary.

1. When was he given a legitimate shot as a top 6 center?
2. He never centered Gaudreau for any extended period of time.
3. He didn't play on Huberdeau's wing. He centered that line. It's like you don't even know that center and wing are COMPLETELY different positions.

You just flat out don't have enough hockey knowledge for it to be worth continuing this discussion.

Reactions: Flamesgod

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
3. He didn't play on Huberdeau's wing. He centered that line. It's like you don't even know that center and wing are COMPLETELY different positions.

You just flat out don't have enough hockey knowledge for it to be worth continuing this discussion.

You just called Bennett a #1 Centre after a 20 game sample size while playing on the second line. Between that and your irrational hate for the Flames, you should probably exit this thread. Take the Puljujarvi lover with you.

Ledge And Dairy

1. He was given plenty of top 6 chances, I never specified at center
2. Again never said anything about him specifically centering Gaudreau, his stats while playing with Gaudreau were awful though
3. That was a mistake on my part when typing it out (I have dyslexia). I genuinely meant type "Yes but he also played with Huberdeau on his wing and they clicked really well." I am fully aware Bennett played center there, I'm a bolts fan so I watched every game of that series.

I can say with confidence that my hockey knowledge is at least as high as yours and I've proven your hot takes wrong on many occasions. Basing my hockey knowledge off a typo is really something lol. No idea why you need to be a douche

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
1. He was given plenty of top 6 chances, I never specified at center
2. Again never said anything about him specifically centering Gaudreau, his stats while playing with Gaudreau were awful though
3. That was a mistake on my part when typing it out (I have dyslexia). I genuinely meant type "Yes but he also played with Huberdeau on his wing and they clicked really well." I am fully aware Bennett played center there, I'm a bolts fan so I watched every game of that series.

I can say with confidence that my hockey knowledge is at least as high as yours and I've proven your hot takes wrong on many occasions. Basing my hockey knowledge off a typo is really something lol. No idea why you need to be a douche

Why would you judge a center based on his performance as a bottom 6 winger? That's the kind of nonsense I'm talking about, you seem to be equating playing center with playing wing. Also, not sure how I was supposed to know your confusion was a typo, especially when said typo is consistent with your previous comments that downplay the difference between a center and a winger.

Bennett's game is painfully ill suited for the wing, yet perfect for center. That's why he was killing it in Florida (and will continue to do so).

And please show me these "many occasions" where you've proven my "hot takes" wrong.

Ledge And Dairy

Why would you judge a center based on his performance as a bottom 6 winger? That's the kind of nonsense I'm talking about, you seem to be equating playing center with playing wing. Also, not sure how I was supposed to know your confusion was a typo, especially when said typo is consistent with your previous comments that downplay the difference between a center and a winger.

Bennett's game is painfully ill suited for the wing, yet perfect for center. That's why he was killing it in Florida (and will continue to do so).

And please show me these "many occasions" where you've proven my "hot takes" wrong.
I agree that he should have been playing center. I loved him at 3C in the bubble, and as I stated in an earlier post I really wanted him to play 2C this year. He was mishandled in Calgary, however that does not mean he is a 1C like you claim, his results in FLA are probably unsustainable, he was producing like McDavid. He is better at center than wing, however that does not take away that when given top 6 time or put at 3C with Dube on his wing he did not perform well this year. Some of that may be on Ward though (who was a horrible coach). Bennett has always shown up in the playoffs so him being a ppg there is not surprising at all, especially playing with someone of Huberdeau's caliber. However his 15 points in 10 games with them before the playoffs was a 123 point pace. That is not realistic at all for him to replicate but if he becomes the 2nd William Karlsson then good for him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I agree that he should have been playing center. I loved him at 3C in the bubble, and as I stated in an earlier post I really wanted him to play 2C this year. He was mishandled in Calgary, however that does not mean he is a 1C like you claim, his results in FLA are probably unsustainable, he was producing like McDavid. He is better at center than wing, however that does not take away that when given top 6 time or put at 3C with Dube on his wing he did not perform well this year. Some of that may be on Ward though (who was a horrible coach). Bennett has always shown up in the playoffs so him being a ppg there is not surprising at all, especially playing with someone of Huberdeau's caliber. However his 15 points in 10 games with them before the playoffs was a 123 point pace. That is not realistic at all for him to replicate but if he becomes the 2nd William Karlsson then good for him.
He doesn't need to score at a 120 point pace to be a #1C. His underlying numbers suggest he should pacing for at least 30g 30a in a full season. Probably closer to 70-80 points.

Ledge And Dairy

He doesn't need to score at a 120 point pace to be a #1C. His underlying numbers suggest he should pacing for at least 30g 30a in a full season. Probably closer to 70-80 points.
I would say 50 points would be a hopeful peak for him next season, if he gets over 70 points (assuming he plays the full season) I'll gladly admit I am wrong but expecting him to triple his production in a division with Tampa and Boston is quite a bet

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I would say 50 points would be a hopeful peak for him next season,

Huh? You do realize he scored at a 50 point pace this year despite playing the majority of his time in Calgary (in the wrong position). And that's pretty much all even strength scoring... in less than 15 minutes of ice time per game.

50 points should be the floor.

if he gets over 70 points (assuming he plays the full season) I'll gladly admit I am wrong

I mean a 60 point pace is a 1C in this league. You seem to think 50 is a hopeful peak so I'd hope you'd admit you were wrong if he breaks 60.

but expecting him to triple his production in a division with Tampa and Boston is quite a bet

7g 20p +12 in 15gp in Florida with 58 shots and 45 hits.

So he averaged nearly 4 shots per game. That puts him in elite company. Even if that falls to 3-3.5 he's still likely to pot 25-30 goals based on his career average shooting percentage.

And I don't think having Tampa in his division is going to deflate his scoring. He had 9 points in 7 games against them this year.

Ledge And Dairy

Huh? You do realize he scored at a 50 point pace this year despite playing the majority of his time in Calgary (in the wrong position). And that's pretty much all even strength scoring... in less than 15 minutes of ice time per game.

50 points should be the floor.

I mean a 60 point pace is a 1C in this league. You seem to think 50 is a hopeful peak so I'd hope you'd admit you were wrong if he breaks 60.

7g 20p +12 in 15gp in Florida with 58 shots and 45 hits.

So he averaged nearly 4 shots per game. That puts him in elite company. Even if that falls to 3-3.5 he's still likely to pot 25-30 goals based on his career average shooting percentage.

And I don't think having Tampa in his division is going to deflate his scoring. He had 9 points in 7 games against them this year.
Lol ok man, you just keep prorating and overvaluing small sample sizes like you always do

Reactions: MardyBum

Ledge And Dairy

32 points in 53 games this year. That's a 50 point pace, almost exclusively at even strength. Explain how that's his peak next year playing as an actual top 6 center.
You are combining not 1, not 2, but 3 different stats here. Bennett has been a ppg player in the playoffs 3 years in a row, it is common knowledge at this point that he performs well in the playoffs when whistles are put away. Then we have his 15 points in 10 games after being traded, I love Bennett but that is not remotely sustainable for him. Finally we have his 12 points in 32 games, this falls way more in line with what is expected from Bennett. What's more likely to happen is Bennett will be better than he was in Calgary but not nearly as good as he was producing in his short stint so far in Florida. Your expectations are extremely unrealistic Bennett will probably put up somewhere around 40-45 points if he continues to play with Huberdeau. If Lundell comes out of the gate strong and steals that spot,pushing Bennett down to the 3rd line then the hope is he gets 30 points. Ive also said I think he is capable of playing top 6 as a 2nd line center. 50 points is good for that, you are the only one trying to say he is an elite level talent that will put up over 70 points.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
as a Flames fan, I highly doubt Bennett ever breaks 50 points in this league. He doesn't have the skill. He has tenacity and can grind/hit/fight. I could see him solidifying himself as a bonafide number two center

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I haven't read through all the offers in this thread, but I would be comfortable offering something like

Pavel Zacha
Alexander Holtz (2020 7th overall pick)
NYI 1st round pick 2021

not sure if that is in the ballpark or of any interest to Calgary

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I haven't read through all the offers in this thread, but I would be comfortable offering something like

Pavel Zacha
NYI 1st round pick 2021

Zacha is going to be very difficult for a trading partner to assess. Was his break out just the product of a high shooting percentage or is he a big late developer hitting his stride at 24?

Whoever loses this trade is going to lose badly.

Considering NJ's currrent situation, I don't think the cap implications are worth the pay potential off.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You are combining not 1, not 2, but 3 different stats here. Bennett has been a ppg player in the playoffs 3 years in a row, it is common knowledge at this point that he performs well in the playoffs when whistles are put away. Then we have his 15 points in 10 games after being traded, I love Bennett but that is not remotely sustainable for him. Finally we have his 12 points in 32 games, this falls way more in line with what is expected from Bennett. What's more likely to happen is Bennett will be better than he was in Calgary but not nearly as good as he was producing in his short stint so far in Florida. Your expectations are extremely unrealistic Bennett will probably put up somewhere around 40-45 points if he continues to play with Huberdeau. If Lundell comes out of the gate strong and steals that spot,pushing Bennett down to the 3rd line then the hope is he gets 30 points. Ive also said I think he is capable of playing top 6 as a 2nd line center. 50 points is good for that, you are the only one trying to say he is an elite level talent that will put up over 70 points.

Based on what? His career as a bottom 6 winger with no PP time and 13 mins a game? How do you have any expectations of what Bennett will produce as a top 6 center with an actual elite player?

Dude scored at a 50 point pace despite that pace being dragged down by his time in Calgary.

This will be a fun thread to bump.

Bond

May 10, 2012

Pavel Zacha
NYI 1st round pick 2021

That is a really interesting proposal. High risk for both parties.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Mancunian

Dec 6, 2008
Happy to offer Marner for Tkachuk or have a three-way trade with the Sabres where the Flames end up with Eichel, Marner goes to the Sabres, and the Leafs end up with Tkachuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad