Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rempe played a better game in the AHL than in the NHL. With Hartford, he was still very aggressive, but he was a lot more controlled and could pick his spots somewhat. And he would focus more on parking in front of the net to cause havoc there, and we've seen he's very effective at that when he does it.

In the NHL he's totally out of control chasing every hit. His physicality is legitimately intimidating and can change the was other guys play when he's on the ice. Unfortunately I think opponents are learning that he skates like a freight train in that he moves fast and heavy in a straight line, but he literally cannot turn. You sidestep him and he's going to crash into the boards or he'll fall down. Somewhat reminiscent of Brendan Lemieux with the chasing of the play and falling constantly.

He's really going to need to a) improve the agility and b) stop chasing the play if he's going to be able to be more than a guy who can play for a handful of minutes each night. He has a long way to go. Age is on his side, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can make those changes.

As it currently stands I wouldn't be comfortable putting him out in a close game, or maybe at all in the playoffs where one mistake can cost you the series.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rempe played a better game in the AHL than in the NHL. With Hartford, he was still very aggressive, but he was a lot more controlled and could pick his spots somewhat. And he would focus more on parking in front of the net to cause havoc there, and we've seen he's very effective at that when he does it.

In the NHL he's totally out of control chasing every hit. His physicality is legitimately intimidating and can change the was other guys play when he's on the ice. Unfortunately I think opponents are learning that he skates like a freight train in that he moves fast and heavy in a straight line, but he literally cannot turn. You sidestep him and he's going to crash into the boards or he'll fall down. Somewhat reminiscent of Brendan Lemieux with the chasing of the play and falling constantly.

He's really going to need to a) improve the agility and b) stop chasing the play if he's going to be able to be more than a guy who can play for a handful of minutes each night. He has a long way to go. Age is on his side, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can make those changes.

As it currently stands I wouldn't be comfortable putting him out in a close game, or maybe at all in the playoffs where one mistake can cost you the series.

Well in his limited ice time he hasn't been a problem on the defensive side of the puck or at least not so far. He's not as smooth or as agile as Edstrom. He is a more intimidating player though and a harder hitter. I do think you better be ready for him to get playoff ice time as it's definitely the vibe I'm getting from the coaching staff.

Speed is a good thing but it's not everything. He does have skating/balance issues and he definitely needs to upgrade his mobility. There seems to be a lot of will and determination.....there is the I will do everything and anything it takes and the Rangers quite obviously are very very interested in making him a better player. He has made a lot of progress since we've drafted him and for a 21 year old 6th round draft pick seeing how he's progressed so far I would put money on him becoming a very effective NHL player in the next several years.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I could see him playing early in series to inflict some punishment on the opponents D corps, but as series go on, if we are not ahead or are having difficulty in any area he doesn't help I can see him sitting. Its all going to be reads and adjustments by the coaching staff. Something different than the last few years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Any chance he goes back to Hartford?

Playing 2 periods a game on most nights, is not gonna help his development. It’s not like he is a 25 year old minor leaguer. He is only 21. Still room to grow, I hope he stays here but only if he gets more than 11 minutes a night.

According to Micheletti last night.....it's become a thing for the Rangers skills coaches to tutor Matthew well after practices are over for everyone else. Now what Micheletti said exactly means ? as there haven't been a whole lot of team practices lately. That said it wouldn't surprise me if they have Matthew working on parts of his game pretty much every day and that probably wouldn't happen with the Wolfpack. But anyway he's not a guy who's going to be a top line player so there's also the question of what kind of development the Rangers want to see from him which might be a lot closer than some might think. It's fairly likely he will be a 4th line 10 minutes or so a game player when he's reached his upside.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I could see him playing early in series to inflict some punishment on the opponents D corps, but as series go on, if we are not ahead or are having difficulty in any area he doesn't help I can see him sitting. Its all going to be reads and adjustments by the coaching staff. Something different than the last few years.

I think Florida will probably be the toughest opponent out of the East if we can get through the first couple rounds. They would be who I'd expect most to make the conference finals and if it's them I definitely see the Rangers playing Rempe the entire series even if he doesn't get a lot of ice time. The Panthers are just too nasty and physical and the Rangers will need to do something to match that or it's likely going to end up the way the series with Tampa did a couple years ago.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I think Florida will probably be the toughest opponent out of the East if we can get through the first couple rounds. They would be who I'd expect most to make the conference finals and if it's them I definitely see the Rangers playing Rempe the entire series even if he doesn't get a lot of ice time. The Panthers are just too nasty and physical and the Rangers will need to do something to match that or it's likely going to end up the way the series with Tampa did a couple years ago.
Yeah, its going to be situational.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Playing 2 periods a game on most nights, is not gonna help his development. It’s not like he is a 25 year old minor leaguer. He is only 21. Still room to grow, I hope he stays here but only if he gets more than 11 minutes a night.

He was sent down at the deadline to make him eligible for the AHL play-offs, so that is definitely possible.

However, they only have 3 call-ups left.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think he's been pretty ineffective since he came back. feels like the adrenaline wore off.

hope he can improve but at this rate I can't see him sticking on a playoff roster right now.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

He shouldn't ben given more than 11 minutes a night. We're not developing a top 6 player here that needs to play in most situations.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
agL4Zei.png

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There was always a likely scenario given full health where he doesn't play every day.

We're blessed to actually be able to fill out the lineup with NHL players since the deadline, Goodrow notwithstanding, but he has to be in the lineup to do whatever it is he does.

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
Devils at The Garden Wednesday night. First game with them since the suspension.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Devils at The Garden Wednesday night. First game with them since the suspension.

He absolutely should not play in that game. Dressing him is just asking for a line brawl and nonstop fights. The exact same thing as when Tortorella caused the line brawl years ago because the Devils put a bunch of goons in the starting lineup so he decided he had to match it instead of just ignoring them.

• Haha
Reactions: JoeGarelli

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
He absolutely should not play in that game. Dressing him is just asking for a line brawl and nonstop fights. The exact same thing as when Tortorella caused the line brawl years ago because the Devils put a bunch of goons in the starting lineup so he decided he had to match it instead of just ignoring them.
That might be the dumbest statement I have ever heard on this site! Torts did not cause the brawl, he just put players out that could handle themselves against what the Devils were going to do! You would have put out non fighters so the Devils would have just pummeled them? Remember years ago the Isles with 2 seconds to go and losing 2-1 in a playoff game with faceoff in their own end Mick vukota attacked Jeff Blumberg of the Rangers and pummeled him. That is exactly what you would have gotten if Torts did not do what he did. You NEVER let another team set the terms! you dress the kid and let them do their nonsense and tell the kid to play hockey.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
He absolutely should not play in that game. Dressing him is just asking for a line brawl and nonstop fights. The exact same thing as when Tortorella caused the line brawl years ago because the Devils put a bunch of goons in the starting lineup so he decided he had to match it instead of just ignoring the
Lav should play Rempe the rest of the season because he can be impactful beyond his 10 mins a night in the POs. But there's no reason to have a staged fight against that nobody that that low talent jersey GM traded for after getting humiliated.

Just let the devils nobody run around and chase Rangers and get penalized over and over again and unlike the awful devils, actually capitalize on the powerplays.

The Rangers don't owe the devils anything and those pudding soft losers haven't earned the right to demand that Rempe stage fight their nobody. If the physically waek and mentally soft little devils want a vicious game after Rempe declines to fight nobody , then the Rangers will dish it out and help the devils get found out. That's hockey and the Rangers need to practice hard, nasty games getting ready for the POs while the devils do whatever the f*** it is that they do.

The Rangers hold all the cards and can do whatever they want - they don't owe the devils the respect of some bullshit staged fight at the start of the game.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That might be the dumbest statement I have ever heard on this site! Torts did not cause the brawl, he just put players out that could handle themselves against what the Devils were going to do! You would have put out non fighters so the Devils would have just pummeled them? Remember years ago the Isles with 2 seconds to go and losing 2-1 in a playoff game with faceoff in their own end Mick vukota attacked Jeff Blumberg of the Rangers and pummeled him. That is exactly what you would have gotten if Torts did not do what he did. You NEVER let another team set the terms! you dress the kid and let them do their nonsense and tell the kid to play hockey.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Torts caused the brawl. If he just put out his first line knowing the other team had the 4th line out nothing would have happened. I can assure you Gaborik, Stepan, Richards, Zuccarello etc. would not have been out there fighting Carter and Janssen and such.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
Yes, those Rangers would not have started any fights but you can not assure anyone that Carter and Janssen and such would not have jumped Gaborik, Stepan, Richards and Zuccarello though!! As a coach you can not put those players you mentioned in that position, you have to put your toughest players out on the ice!! Could only imagine the headlines if one of those players was jumped and injured! It is a amazing how in todays society the victum is at fault! Your thought process is just horrible and everything thats wrong in todays society. I guess you also believe the home owner is to blame when the criminal breaks into their house and gets shot!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad