Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
On a serious note: I fear I already see where this is going with Rempe in relation to the league.

On a fun note, seems Laviolette has rotated him back in so it will be fun to watch him in the meantime so it's time to:

free Rempe.jpg

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Many experts dispute the very existence of CTE, there are studies that go both ways and it's far from settled science. With any study you also have to account for all the variables, most goons, professional boxers, etc came from rough upbringings, had childhood trauma, lost parents as children (including Rempe), family history of mental illness & drug abuse etc. Yet their average life expectancy is longer than the average person with all those same variables who aren't professional NHL players, boxers, etc. I grew up in a shit environment and over 30 kids from my grad class are already dead (and I'm young!), my mom grew up very rural on a logging camp with a bunch of alcoholism, drug abuse & such running rampant. Most people she grew up with are dead in their 40's-50's. These are the experiences a lot of those people share, many times there's a reason these guys become tough guys/goons. Read about the life stories of a lot of professional boxers, many of them are tragic. There are also many goons, professional fighters who live long lives. It's not that black & white... but regardless I think the disgusting part is not so much the expressing concern, but the people actively wishing CTE/death/etc on him.

The only "scientists" disputing CTE at this point are those that are being paid to do so, or have some interest in a profession that benefits from it being untrue (e.g. professional sports). It is 100% settled fact that it exists and the only people trying to say otherwise are probably those that still believe the earth is flat.

Now arguing free will, or for fighting having a place in the game, or allowing rags to riches stories by fighting your way out of a tough upbringing are entirely different concepts.

To conflate these two concepts in an effort to spin your agenda is irresponsible. And if you truly have no insight into actual, legitimate CTE studies (many of which are based off actual brain damage from deceased victims), I highly recommend you read up before posting in the future on this topic.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Disgusting how the anti-fighting crowd says he is going to be a CTE death waiting to happen after the Chris Simon news.

There's something very offputting people saying that BUT it's possible it doesn't come from a bad place. He also needs to learn defense (not a fighting expert, it's what I read here which is where most of my hockey takes come from too lol) and to pick his spots.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
There's something very offputting people saying that BUT it's possible it doesn't come from a bad place. He also needs to learn defense (not a fighting expert, it's what I read here which is where most of my hockey takes come from too lol) and to pick his spots.

What's very offputting is those who have witnessed numerous enforcers dying well before they should and acting like neanderthals while watching Rempe fight with complete disregard for his long-term health.

There is irrefutable evidence that if he continues to fight at this pace there is a much higher likelihood that he will suffer once his playing days are over.

Again very different between those who have legitimate concern for his personal well being (which it's important to add is way more important than a dumb sport) as opposed to those wishing upon him brain disease because they don't like his style of play.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Many experts dispute the very existence of CTE, there are studies that go both ways and it's far from settled science. With any study you also have to account for all the variables, most goons, professional boxers, etc came from rough upbringings, had childhood trauma, lost parents as children (including Rempe), family history of mental illness & drug abuse etc. Yet their average life expectancy is longer than the average person with all those same variables who aren't professional NHL players, boxers, etc. I grew up in a shit environment and over 30 kids from my grad class are already dead (and I'm young!), my mom grew up very rural on a logging camp with a bunch of alcoholism, drug abuse & such running rampant. Most people she grew up with are dead in their 40's-50's. These are the experiences a lot of those people share, many times there's a reason these guys become tough guys/goons. Read about the life stories of a lot of professional boxers, many of them are tragic. There are also many goons, professional fighters who live long lives. It's not that black & white... but regardless I think the disgusting part is not so much the expressing concern, but the people actively wishing CTE/death/etc on him.

The question isn't whether hockey fighters who make millions have a better life than guys that grew up in poverty and trauma that never got lifted out of poverty. The question is how does it compare to other NHLers. Maybe in the 90s teams kept guys just for fighting that's almost non-existent anymore. Even a guy like Reaves used to be decent at hockey. Rempe is a decent 4th liner, he can continue being a decent hockey player without adding CTE related risks to his life, regular people brought up in poverty are irrelevant because he's not a random person. Also, I honestly doubt that most fighters in hockey grew up in poverty. Hockey fighting is a product of size, fighting skill, and hockey skill (good enough for top NHL leagues, not good enough to be much better than that). None of that screams any particular socioeconomic profile when compared to other NHL players. The difference between Reaves and McDavid is hockey skill not necessarily trauma or wealth. Hockey is an expensive sport. And trauma I don't see how that's relevant at all.

What's very offputting is those who have witnessed numerous enforcers dying well before they should and acting like neanderthals while watching Rempe fight with complete disregard for his long-term health.

There is irrefutable evidence that if he continues to fight at this pace there is a much higher likelihood that he will suffer once his playing days are over.

Again very different between those who have legitimate concern for his personal well being (which it's important to add is way more important than a dumb sport) as opposed to those wishing upon him brain disease because they don't like his style of play.

It really depends on how it comes off. Some might say it to put the guy down and trivialize him.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
It really depends on how it comes off. Some might say it to put the guy down and trivialize him.

It's black and white. There are people who are legitimately concerned about Rempe's health of which I am one.

Then there are people who are massive scum and wish brain injury on him because they don't like that aspect of the sport. Wishing injury, death, any negativity on a person is always despicable and should be condemned.

And ultimately, retorts to either that are founded in conspiracy logic is irresponsible.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Not saying CTE doesn't play it's part because it obviously does, but all the guys that needed fighting to form relationships with others when i was a kid were the guys that couldn't handle it when nobody cared about their fighting. Most of them became ugly drunks at the least and some did do themselves in. It's when all their lives all they were was a story about a fight or the next fight and then that ends, they have no way of coping with it. Guys like Paros who jump into another roll, or Berube etc, they all seem to function, but the guys who are unable to do that slip into depression it seems. Simon seemed like that kind of guy to me. Rempe will be fine but he can't be fighting every night. The fights need to happen for a reason, get away from this staged crap.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
From an outside perspective, it didn't look to me that Rempe was the one seeking the fights. Rather it was established players in the NHL see a big kid coming in and openly challenged him to fights. Naturally a young player is going to want to make an impression and impact however they can, so why would he turn down their challenge. I mean it's clear he's warming up/stretching and along comes tough guy to get in his personal space and openly challenges him during warm ups.

If anyone was being irresponsible about it, it was seasoned veteran grown men challenging a kid in his first week or two in the NHL and putting him in a position where if he doesn't accept the challenge he's viewed a certain way and if he does accept the challenge he's viewed a different way. It's pretty ridiculous. And now he's got a stigma about him that may not accurately reflect what or who he is.

He's a good hockey player. The fact he can make this kind of physical impression on the toughest players in the league at his age is impressive. But he can play. And he's enthusiastic. His personality and energy is contagious. Good qualities.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
From an outside perspective, it didn't look to me that Rempe was the one seeking the fights. Rather it was established players in the NHL see a big kid coming in and openly challenged him to fights. Naturally a young player is going to want to make an impression and impact however they can, so why would he turn down their challenge. I mean it's clear he's warming up/stretching and along comes tough guy to get in his personal space and openly challenges him during warm ups.

If anyone was being irresponsible about it, it was seasoned veteran grown men challenging a kid in his first week or two in the NHL and putting him in a position where if he doesn't accept the challenge he's viewed a certain way and if he does accept the challenge he's viewed a different way. It's pretty ridiculous. And now he's got a stigma about him that may not accurately reflect what or who he is.

He's a good hockey player. The fact he can make this kind of physical impression on the toughest players in the league at his age is impressive. But he can play. And he's enthusiastic. His personality and energy is contagious. Good qualities.

i believe a couple of them (Matt Martin & maybe Deslauriers?) have said they viewed it as doing him a favor by helping get his name out there. Which is stupid.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
i believe a couple of them (Matt Martin & maybe Deslauriers?) have said they viewed it as doing him a favor by helping get his name out there. Which is stupid.
It may be stupid, but it’s also not inaccurate. All those fights are what got so much buzz around him. But IMO, it’s time to dial that stuff back and only engage when it makes sense in the flow of the game.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah people are overreacting about his style of play though. It’s not like Bob Probert (who I loved) cocaine fueled fighting madness.
I wouldn’t say it’s one or another really. I’m pretty conflicted. I absolutely enjoy the fisticuffs but also don’t show my kids, as much as I can avoid it. A guilty pleasure. As for cte I have no idea. I think it’s real but also think some guys are more prone to it. Like Tie Domi isn’t going to have it, I’d say. Just the way his head is. But there’s no science behind that, let alone a test for it. But I see both sides of the argument, and I occupy both sides to an extent.

It’s good for Rempe’s rep, but also good for the goon squad. They’re a dying breed and looking to keep the tribe viable.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Chris Simon had a rough life outside of hockey as well that had nothing to do with head injuries.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Deslauriers and Olivier did come along to ask him as he was stretching out by the blueline in warmups. It wasn't really that confrontational. It was respectfully done and he could have said no and that probably would have been the end of it unless something else happened. Even the Martin and Reaves fights he was asked and in both he could have bowed out and all of his fights so far are typical of how the league's tough guys like to do things. Opponents square up and it's done as fairly as possible best man on that day wins. Nobody's jumping the other or looking for an unfair advantage over their opponent and when it's over it's over.

The MacDermid thing was a little different. MacDermid did try to force it early. The Rangers thought the Bastian hit was clean. Rempe had just fought Reaves and his face was still a mess from Olivier and I could understand Laviolette not wanting him to fight MacDermid. There seemed to be a little reluctance with Reaves and fighting MacDermid would have served no tactical purpose. Rempe's already a better player. The elbow on Siegenthaler was bad. The way I saw that though is Jonas got cute with him...saw Matthew coming at him hard and instead of taking the hit pulled up at the last second and Rempe seeing himself going face first into the glass in a split second reaction threw his elbow up. Should he have fought MacDermid then? Maybe but the refs, linesmen and players were all coming together in a pile at that point and both of them were soon separated. Maybe Rempe shouldn't have done the bye-bye hand salute taunt but hey youthful exuberance. I laughed at it. In any case I thought he deserved a suspension. He should not throw hits like that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The “code” is important for hockey players.

For guys who are known as fighters it is especially...but some of these guys fight like 5/6 times a year these days. Between Hartford and the Rangers Rempe's got at least a dozen this year and some of what's happened lately is because of his instant celebrity.....some of these guys wanting to ride in his glow. That's a big reason why I think Laviolette wants to curtail it a bit because it can get pointless. It shouldn't be just about the player. It should be how it can help the team....momentum swings and such. Chances are Rempe's going to have at least 3/4 more before the regular season ends. That will be a lot for one year. I also suspect one will be with MacDermid if they're both in the lineup for the last Rangers/Devils game. So no need to worry about what bs Kurtis is coming with from this last time. He's put in his order and I believe he's going to get his day and it's likely his days are numbered anyway as an NHL player. Fighting is pretty much what's been keeping him around and nothing else.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Good that Lucic is out (and hopefully forever.) A game to watch for is the final game against Ottawa. Rempe got tuned by Ostapchuk in juniors who maybe will be looking for a little reflected glory from a rematch.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Good that Lucic is out (and hopefully forever.) A game to watch for is the final game against Ottawa. Rempe got tuned by Ostapchuk in juniors who maybe will be looking for a little reflected glory from a rematch.
The other player I'd presume he'd like to fight especially at the Garden, would be Tom Wilson. We don't play the Caps again this season though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad