Matt Murray with Most Wins in His First 100 Games (Since 2005)

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Isn't it weird how goalies who are usually dismissed as being "products of their team" are on some of the most successful teams? It's as if people like to degrade players on teams they're jealous of ...

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think my point is pretty clear if you read the second sentence of my post, which you didn't quote for some reason.
I guess I have to explain it to you. It's not always because people are jealous lol. Sometimes a goalie looks better because he's on a better team. Or are you saying that literally never happens and goalies are completely separate entities from their teams? I'm just trying to get some clarification on what seemed like some very circular logic.

You think Matt Murray would have 62 wins in his first 100 games if he played for the Coyotes or Sabres? I'd wager even you don't believe that to be likely. Good goalie, good team around him. Therefore cups.

Rick Kehoe

Oct 8, 2017
I hate the concept of celebrating a goalie's wins, because it puts the emphasis on the goalie, and not the team in front of him. The Pens were a great team the last 3 years. They still are a good team. I wonder how many wins Murray would have had had he and Lundqvist changed places the last 3 years.

I think the same can be said of any outstanding goalie, switch them out with a different team, and guess the outcome. But we can only deal with reality, and this wasn't a highly touted prospect in the beginning, but was developed by the Penguins organization. And since the ultimate goal of team sports is winning, a key position like goaltender should have that included in the evaluation. Murray's wins and postseason performance are remarkable so far, and as others have said, the only question mark is durability. And Fleury is still going strong, helping Vegas excel in their first season.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
It's not always because people are jealous lol.

Of course not.

Be happy you got to decide to root for a team that got lucky (?) several years in a row (high end draft picks) and are now reaping the benefits of a flawed system in which bad (intentional or not) teams profit from a pity party.

But in this thread, as you can see, a lot of the posts are based in jealousy.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I'm not really sure that's the case. At least not on the "a lot" part.

There just seems to be a lot of commentary that this is a dubious achievement, because not only does it only go back to 2005, but the list of goaltenders is a who's who of goaltenders on very good teams.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Of course not.

What you read as "jealousy" is actually historic fact. I'm sorry I don't define my personality via a team that you or I have ABSOLUTELY no effect on.
I'm too old and simply have other things to worry about to have my days and nights be affected by team xyz.

You guys can read what you want into, it's just a shame that the tribal thinking has crept so much into society that a proper discourse isn't even possible on something as banal as a message board. There aren't many hockey fans anymore, just fans of teams and it's apparent that it clouds the judgement of certain people so much that when a person says something they don't usually hear unless they go out of their tribal huts they don't know how to deal with it and start either resorting to personal attacks and try and find a reason as to why somebody could have a differing opinion (jealousy in this case, which is equally insulting).

I stated my hockey opinions (Murray is nothing special, the draft system is flawed, the Penguins took advantage in one way or another of said draft system) and get attacked for it. It's not a good look for you and the others who don't know how to deal with a differing opinion when you call somebody "clueless" or "just jealous".

Anyhow, I'll try and be the adult here and stay away from this "discourse" and let you guys in your unshakable Penguin related beliefs.

beir32

Feb 1, 2010
I've come here to tell the Internet how unimpressed I am with this statistic because he doesn't play for my favorite team and I'm insecure.

So whatever.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I know right? Poor guy has to go home, crack open a cold beer, look at his two shrines to his back 2 back cup wins as a rookie, having an amazing career so far, is one of the best young goalies in the NHL, is headed to the playoffs again....

If only he didn't have someone score on him a bunch of times and stuff...
It wouldn't be so bad if Boeser didn't get so lucky

beir32

Feb 1, 2010
Impressed? No.
Annoyed enough to go into an "attaboy" thread to tell all who would listen that I wasn't impressed? Also no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad